The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal)League Re-Structuring

I'm sick of seeing teams like Florida and Arizona have no support or fans in their home seats. they have been a terrible franchise both financially and on ice. Quebec City and Seattle are 2 places that can probably generate much more revenue than either of those teams. Move Florida to Quebec City and Arizona to Seattle. 

Western Conference:

Pacific: Anaheim, Calgary, Colorado, Edmonton, LA, San Jose, Seattle, Vancouver (8 Teams)

Central: Chicago, Columbus, Dallas, Minnesota, Nashville, St.Louis, Winnipeg (7 Teams)

Eastern Conference:

Atlantic: Carolina, New Jersey, New York Islanders, New York Rangers, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, Washington (8 Teams)

North: Boston, Buffalo, Detroit, Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec City, Toronto (7 Teams)

*Playoff format remains the same

Regulation/OT Format:

Regulation Win: 2Pts

OT/SO Win:1Pt

Loss/OT Loss/SO Loss: 0Pts

Teams should not be rewarded for losing at all. This way there will be a bigger emphasis on winning in regulation than simply getting it to OT. Teams that try to push for OT to guarantee a point will now be punished. This will result in a much more exciting regulation time due to the fact that teams don't want to lose a point. 

NHL Entry Draft:

For all non playoff teams, a lottery is used to determined the draft order. Teams that finish lower in the standings have a better chance of having their names called earlier in the draft order.

Say this is the final season standings for the draft order

1.Columbus (Last in the league) 2.Toronto 3.Anaheim 4.Edmonton 5.Carolina 6.Vancouver 7.Buffalo 8.Calgary 9.Arizona 10.Winnipeg 11.Pittsburgh 12.San Jose 13.Colorado 14.Philadelphia.

So its pretty much like bingo except its weighted. Columbus has the best chance of being picked. Philadelphia has the least chance. The draft order can be completely random. whichever team is chosen in the lottery is placed in that order. 

So say Vancouver is chosen first. we would get the first pick. Then Winnipeg is picked they would get 2nd pick. And so on. This would somewhat punish tanking and make it unlikely for a team like Edmonton to get 1st overall pick as often as they had. 

I am a fan of not having points for a loosing team in OT. The only issue with I could see with that is during mid season and onward there would be big gaps in between teams in their divisions and making the fight for playoffs non existent.

I like the idea of all teams who didn't make the playoffs be in the lottery run. Not just for 1st place.

On 20/12/2015 at 2:32 PM, ken kaniff said:

I'm sick of seeing teams like Florida and Arizona have no support or fans in their home seats. they have been a terrible franchise both financially and on ice. Quebec City and Seattle are 2 places that can probably generate much more revenue than either of those teams. Move Florida to Quebec City and Arizona to Seattle. 

Western Conference:

Pacific: Anaheim, Calgary, Colorado, Edmonton, LA, San Jose, Seattle, Vancouver (8 Teams)

Central: Chicago, Columbus, Dallas, Minnesota, Nashville, St.Louis, Winnipeg (7 Teams)

Eastern Conference:

Atlantic: Carolina, New Jersey, New York Islanders, New York Rangers, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, Washington (8 Teams)

North: Boston, Buffalo, Detroit, Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec City, Toronto (7 Teams)

Regulation/OT Format:

Teams should not be rewarded for losing at all. This way there will be a bigger emphasis on winning in regulation than simply getting it to OT. Teams that try to push for OT to guarantee a point will now be punished. This will result in a much more exciting regulation time due to the fact that teams don't want to lose a point. 

NHL Entry Draft:

For all non playoff teams, a lottery is used to determined the draft order. Teams that finish lower in the standings have a better chance of having their names called earlier in the draft order.

1.Columbus (Last in the league) 2.Toronto 3.Anaheim 4.Edmonton 5.Carolina 6.Vancouver 7.Buffalo 8.Calgary 9.Arizona 10.Winnipeg 11.Pittsburgh 12.San Jose 13.Colorado 14.Philadelphia.

So its pretty much like bingo except its weighted. Columbus has the best chance of being picked. Philadelphia has the least chance. The draft order can be completely random. whichever team is chosen in the lottery is placed in that order. 

So say Vancouver is chosen first. we would get the first pick. Then Winnipeg is picked they would get 2nd pick. And so on. This would somewhat punish tanking and make it unlikely for a team like Edmonton to get 1st overall pick as often as they had. 

I like this a lot. Very well thought out and I really like the restructuring of the teams/divisions.

That being said, as was mentioned here, Florida has just renewed their lease and won't be going anywhere until at very least that lease is near expiry. Also, the NHL does not seem to have any appetite to move Arizona, otherwise they would have already done it/allowed it. I am in agreement though that I would much rather see Quebec/Seattle than Florida/Arizona.

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2015 at 2:32 PM, ken kaniff said:

Western Conference:

Eastern Conference:

Regulation/OT Format:

NHL Entry Draft:

I like your ideas. The teams in the sunbelt constantly lose money and get propped up by the stable teams every year. It's pathetic.

The first and most important bit that you missed is getting rid of Gary Bettman.

Once that little weasel is gone, the league would better for it. I propose a simple strapping of that little twerp to a rocket destined for Alderon.

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

I like your ideas. The teams in the sunbelt constantly lose money and get propped up by the stable teams every year. It's pathetic.

The first and most important bit that you missed is getting rid of Gary Bettman.

Once that little weasel is gone, the league would better for it. I propose a simple strapping of that little twerp to a rocket destined for Alderon.

I hate Gary Bettman with a passion. IMHO I think he's a corrupt little weasel that continuously alienates the Canadian hockey fans that made the game what it is today in an effort to pander to the American audience. I fully believe officials are instructed to call games in such a way to help steer the results of games to the leagues satisfaction. A perfect example would be the one-sided officiating in the Vancouver-Boston 2011 final. And before all of CDC jumps all over me for that opinion, let me clarify that I am not saying the games are rigged all together. Merely steered through officiating and other means. In my opinion, the league believes that American fans will only watch a winning product, whereas the Canadian fan will generally watch either way. Thus the bias in order to increase overall revenues through the improvement of the American hockey market. Just my two cents.

1 hour ago, RogerNeilsonsTowel said:

I hate Gary Bettman with a passion. IMHO I think he's a corrupt little weasel that continuously alienates the Canadian hockey fans that made the game what it is today in an effort to pander to the American audience. I fully believe officials are instructed to call games in such a way to help steer the results of games to the leagues satisfaction. A perfect examyople would be the one-sided officiating in the Vancouver-Boston 2011 final. And before all of CDC jumps all over me for that opinion, let me clarify that I am not saying the games are rigged all together. Merely steered through officiating and other means. In my opinion, the league believes that American fans will only watch a winning product, whereas the Canadian fan will generally watch either way. Thus the bias in order to increase overall revenues through the improvement of the American hockey market. Just my two cents.

You're right on the mark. 

To make the NHL stronger and better betty has to go back to the roots meaning more teams in Canada!!!We could have another team in south surrey, one in Kelowna,Victoria and such places as Saskatoon or Regina,Quebec,Hamilton!All those will sell out or be close to doing so and after that add a team in Seattle,get rid of weak teams in the states and do not have so many in the New York area take two away,take one from Florida and move to these places then add two new expansion teams and the league would make more money then it is now or ever has been!

40 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

To make the NHL stronger and better betty has to go back to the roots meaning more teams in Canada!!!We could have another team in south surrey, one in Kelowna,Victoria and such places as Saskatoon or Regina,Quebec,Hamilton!All those will sell out or be close to doing so and after that add a team in Seattle,get rid of weak teams in the states and do not have so many in the New York area take two away,take one from Florida and move to these places then add two new expansion teams and the league would make more money then it is now or ever has been!

The Surrey team would always need to be buying new gear because they'd be robbed weekly. 

On 2015-12-20 at 2:32 PM, ken kaniff said:

Others have already mentioned Florida's lease situation.

Who is going to put up the money for an arena in Seattle?   It would be a great location if it had a suitable place to play but neither the city nor the state is apparently willing to put up the money for a new arena nor is anyone applying for an expansion team there with intentions to build an arena privately.

Regulation/OT Format:

Perhaps teams aren't awarded for losing but for salvaging a tie in regulation.

This suggestion doesn't do anything to fix the problem that presently some games are worth more than others.

My own preference is quite unpopular.  I never minded ties, being one that has always hated losing even more than enjoying winning.  Look how much less unhappy Canucks fans would be this season if their teams wasn't continually losing in O/T.

I realize I'm not going to get that preference isn't going to happen.

NHL Entry Draft:

It seems the new system to take effect this coming summer is the same as your suggestion except that the lottery will only go three places, then the remaining teams go in reverse order in the standings.  It is likely that will be enough to stop teams from actively tanking to get the 1st overall pick (or, as in 2015 with two exceptionally highly regarded prospects, the 1st two picks.)

I'd suggest waiting to see how the new system works out.  It may not be necessary to go more than 3 places in the lottery to sufficiently discourage tanking for a pick.

Archived