The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Friend saw this at Open Practice

87Crosby

5 minutes ago, nux4lyfe said:

So what do you suggest, We bench the Sedins from this day on ? Just forfeit ? And just not show up at all?....

OR, Go balls to the wall and get these guys some damn experience and let them know how it feels, It's that simple to me..

Top 5 pick is out of the question, If you ask me... don't think it's going to happen for us...

You shouldn't try to get playoff experience for your young players until you have a group of core players that you are happy with moving forward.  The problem is, the management has screwed up and delayed what should've happened already.  This is the last draft for a while where top end talent is available.  We already missed the boat....

The problem with Edmonton is they continue to get good high picks but they never do anything to round out their roster.  They need to dump one of those good young players for a "winner" type veteran that can teach these guys how to win.  The Oilers are used to losing, they will continue to be losers until management is fired.

Some teams stay always mediocre, others stay always terrible and the good teams that win suck for a while at the right time, get the right players and build the team up again.  The rare team stays on top consistently.

2 minutes ago, mpt said:

You shouldn't try to get playoff experience for your young players until you have a group of core players that are happy with moving forward.  The problem is, the management has screwed up and delayed what should've happened already.  This is the last draft for a while where top end talent is available.  We already missed the boat....

Yeah I guess experience is not necessary..learning how to fail is the next step towards success..but let's be like Edmonton and let's max the cap space when we eventually get to the point to make the playoffs...you know, like 10 yrs later..

2 minutes ago, nux4lyfe said:

Yeah I guess experience is not necessary..learning how to fail is the next step towards success..but let's be like Edmonton and let's max the cap space when we eventually get to the point to make the playoffs...you know, like 10 yrs later..

I think management missed the boat.  I think realistically we can finish at worst 6th.  The lottery this year though gives you a good shot at picking in the top 3.  I say we tank this year, dump all the vets except for the Sedins, stock pile as many 1st and 2nd round picks as possible as this is the last deep draft for a while, then go balls to the wall in free agency this summer to get into the playoffs next year, to get those guys some experience

It's better to give the young player a chance to win games than to tank.  What if we continue to win games and miss the playoffs and win the lottery.   That would teach people not to tank.   Tanking is pointless with the new lottery system even if it's very low odd of winning if we finish in the middle pack in the standing.   Any teams that missed the playoffs get a chance of drawing 1 to 3 and it is better than the old system where a team gain at least 5 position, max, without ever had a chance of getting 1st overall pick.

1 minute ago, mpt said:

I think management missed the boat.  I think realistically we can finish at worst 6th.  The lottery this year though gives you a good shot at picking in the top 3.  I say we tank this year, dump all the vets except for the Sedins, stock pile as many 1st and 2nd round picks as possible as this is the last deep draft for a while, then go balls to the wall in free agency this summer to get into the playoffs next year, to get those guys some experience

mpt , I'm not going to disrespect you, I do enjoy your post's..But I wanna hear this?

How does one tank?

And have you ever played competitive sports?...

1 minute ago, coolboarder said:

It's better to give the young player a chance to win games than to tank.  What if we continue to win games and miss the playoffs and win the lottery.   That would teach people not to tank.   Tanking is pointless with the new lottery system even if it's very low odd of winning if we finish in the middle pack in the standing.   Any teams that missed the playoffs get a chance of drawing 1 to 3 and it is better than the old system where a team gain at least 5 position, max, without ever had a chance of getting 1st overall pick.

Its not just about the #1 overall.  Likelihood you are losing the lottery at 14th overall and will pick there.  This year has a great top 10.  You want to be in that

1 minute ago, nux4lyfe said:

mpt , I'm not going to disrespect you, I do enjoy your post's..But I wanna hear this?

How does one tank?

And have you ever played competitive sports?...

You can't tank on purpose unless you are Buffalo and Toronto and trade players for hurt players in return that can't play for you depleting your lineup to the AHL level.

Really its more about asset management.  Vrbata has done nothing all year, he's not helping us win games.  When we win its the young guys doing it, so why keep him around?  Get something for him.

When Hammer was hurt the team actually did fairly well, again, get something for him.

On the other hand, if you deplete the skill of your lineup in theory you will perform worse.  I don't like the word tank, I more like to describe it as getting assets for players that you know you won't be having in your lineup 7 months from now

Teams like the Leafs, Oilers and Sabres have learned from management that losing is what they expect;  there is a reason why they are losers.  Making it impossible for your team to succeed isn't going to do the organization any good.  Managing assets is the key.  Right now we sit between 7th and 8th.  Last thing I want to see is us finishing 13th last because we went for it, when we all know its a 1st round exit in under 6 games if we make it.

I'd be happy with a pick in the 5 -10 slot, hopefully have a chance at the 1-3 lottery, and hopefully pick another player in the high teens or late 1st round

9 minutes ago, mpt said:

You can't tank on purpose unless you are Buffalo and Toronto and trade players for hurt players in return that can't play for you depleting your lineup to the AHL level.

Really its more about asset management.  Vrbata has done nothing all year, he's not helping us win games.  When we win its the young guys doing it, so why keep him around?  Get something for him.

When Hammer was hurt the team actually did fairly well, again, get something for him.

On the other hand, if you deplete the skill of your lineup in theory you will perform worse.  I don't like the word tank, I more like to describe it as getting assets for players that you know you won't be having in your lineup 7 months from now

I'd think we'd be better off with out Vrbata, At least a younger , Hungrier nice person can fill that void, and gain experience at the same time...

And, yes, i hate that word with a passion..it's such a cheap and loser word to say..Players have dignity ..at least i would assume..but don't judge me for it, just y opinion..

Took teams along time to suck to win a cup..just saying..with the exception of the past 2 yrs...we were pretty relevant..with out a 1st rounder (top 10) in god know how many yrs besides Horvat.

4 minutes ago, nux4lyfe said:

I'd think we'd be better off with out Vrbata, At least a younger , Hungrier nice person can fill that void, and gain experience at the same time...

And, yes, i hate that work with a passion..it's such a cheap and loser word to say..Players have dignity ..at least i would assume..but don't judge me for it, just y opinion..

Took teams along time to suck to win a cup..just saying..with the exception of the past 2 yrs...we were pretty relevant..with out a 1st rounder 9top 10) in god know how many yrs besides Horvat.

I don't think Chicago, LA, and Pittsburgh were trying to suck on purpose when they got their picks.  Buffalo, Toronto and Edmonton are trying the best they can.  I think that perception leaks its way through the organization and changes it for the worse

3 minutes ago, mpt said:

I don't Chicago, LA, and Pittsburgh were trying to suck on purpose when they got their picks.  Buffalo, Toronto and Edmonton are trying the best they can.  I think that perception leaks its way through the organization and changes it for the worse

Those teams sucked arse for a long freaking time...boy some of those teams were about to get moved..sh!tty culture..once they won cups many yrs later fans jumped on there nutsack..mute point, yes..but

If we get a top 5 pick, beers on me all day...until then let's get the boys some experience...because I don't see it happening..

4 minutes ago, nux4lyfe said:

Those teams sucked arse for a long freaking time...boy some of those teams were about to get moved..sh!tty culture..once they won cups many yrs later fans jumped on there nutsack..mute point, yes..but

If we get a top 5 pick, beers on me all day...until then let's get the boys some experience...because I don't see it happening..

In a draft where the drop occurs early, I would agree, but there are some good top 4 D and top 6 forwards in the top 10, especially when I think you have an 15-18% chance at finishing 7th to get into the top 3 in the lottery.  I hope we get a top 10 pick and will be disappointed if we don't. 

This summer we have 10 -12 million to spend and hopefully some good players would like to come out West

6 minutes ago, mpt said:

In a draft where the drop occurs early, I would agree, but there are some good top 4 D and top 6 forwards in the top 10, especially when I think you have an 15-18% chance at finishing 7th to get into the top 3 in the lottery.  I hope we get a top 10 pick and will be disappointed if we don't. 

This summer we have 10 -12 million to spend and hopefully some good players would like to come out West

You and I both..

Majority of the top end talent (FA) are older players, No? Wouldn't you want the young guys to get have experience so when they collaborate atleast they would know what to expect?

7 minutes ago, nux4lyfe said:

You and I both..

Majority of the top end talent (FA) are older players, No? Wouldn't you want the young guys to get have experience so when they collaborate atleast they would know what to expect?

Yes but it would be good to get some more leadership and mentoring in one or two vets.  A change of scenery if you will.

Doesn't have to be UFAs, there will be teams looking at moving out cap, especially if it goes down; then its an opportunity to swoop in and potentially land something interesting

As for UFAs, besides Stamkos, I'm not sure anyone else interests me. I'm not against Lucic or Ladd coming home but I wouldn't want them for the length of contract they would be demanding.

I honestly think the road to the top again will be a long process

Archived