The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mafia - RANDOM 2.0

Dral

2 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

My roommate is from Chandigarh, so he's been teaching me Hindi.

Me on the other hand... I'm so white, the flies think I'm dead.

Kind of odd that he's from Chandigarh, but that he's teaching you Hindi. That's like me being from Vancouver, and teaching you French. Punjabi people can almost inherently understand/speak Hindi, and vice versa, but it's not the local tongue.

22 minutes ago, g_bassi13 said:

Kind of odd that he's from Chandigarh, but that he's teaching you Hindi. That's like me being from Vancouver, and teaching you French. Punjabi people can almost inherently understand/speak Hindi, and vice versa, but it's not the local tongue.

IIRC though, Hindi is still spoken there.

Thanks btw. Most of the hindi words I know are insults or food :P 

2 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

IIRC though, Hindi is still spoken there.

Dhanyavaad (I hope that's right lol). Most of the hindi words I know are insults or food :P 

Hindi is still spoken there, and is spoken most everywhere in India, even when it doesn't remotely resemble the local language.

Many/most will speak it, but it's not universally the case. I had some friends while in college at Bangalore who didn't understand a word of it. Like they could speak both Kanada (the local language) and English completely fluently, but I could use Hindi as a secret language around them.

Though like I said earlier, while Hindi and Punjabi aren't interchangeable, they're totally relatable.

And Dhanyavaad is totally right, yes.

Just now, g_bassi13 said:

Hindi is still spoken there, and is spoken most everywhere in India, even when it doesn't remotely resemble the local language.

Many/most will speak it, but it's not universally the case. I had some friends while in college at Bangalore who didn't understand a word of it. Like they could speak both Kanada (the local language) and English completely fluently, but I could use Hindi as a secret language around them.

Though like I said earlier, while Hindi and Punjabi aren't interchangeable, they're totally relatable.

And Dhanyavaad is totally right, yes.

Yeah, that makes sense. One of my (white) friends went to Tamil Nadu for a few months and I asked both of my friends if they knew the other one of Hindi/Tamil and they had no clue.

It makes sense, as they're on opposite ends of India

Archived