The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Moving up to top-3 ? What would it take ?

4 hours ago, Seven pounds soft said:

Start a beef between Columbus and North Korea. Columbus gets nuked. Edmonton moves to third OA. Trade Edler and 5 Th OA for 3rd OA. Boom ... Literally. 

Who gets pick 4 though

17 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Are you serious?   Would you take Edler and the 5th for 1 overall?  You sure wouldn't.  How about for the 2nd?  Not a snowballs chance in hell.  

And you question if that is an overpayment.  Brutal man.  Use your head. 

These teams aren't in the business of giving away their future to help out the Canucks.  

Please dont make another thread.  At least not without actually thinking about what you are saying. 

Actually, barring a 'generational talent' like Crosby/Ovechkin/Stamkos/McDavid, i'd do that deal pretty easily. 

For this draft, maybe not #1, but if i were in the #2 or #3 position and someone offered me what is essentially Pierre-Luc Dubois + Edler for Laine/Puljujaarvi, i'd easily make that trade.

43 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Actually, barring a 'generational talent' like Crosby/Ovechkin/Stamkos/McDavid, i'd do that deal pretty easily. 

For this draft, maybe not #1, but if i were in the #2 or #3 position and someone offered me what is essentially Pierre-Luc Dubois + Edler for Laine/Puljujaarvi, i'd easily make that trade.

Patrick Laine just got named the playoff MVP for a pro league at age 17. Let that sink in and then answer the question.

1 hour ago, Toews said:

Patrick Laine just got named the playoff MVP for a pro league at age 17. Let that sink in and then answer the question.

Hm. 

Did not know that. Ty for the info though. Laine just got to be playoff MVP at the Finnish pro league ? wow

I thought this year #1 was no contest and AM is a great prospect but Connor McDavid he is not. If this is true, then Laine should challenge for #1 and should be clear #2 at this point.

10 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Hm. 

Did not know that. Ty for the info though. Laine just got to be playoff MVP at the Finnish pro league ? wow

I thought this year #1 was no contest and AM is a great prospect but Connor McDavid he is not. If this is true, then Laine should challenge for #1 and should be clear #2 at this point.

Bob McKenzie tweeted on Saturday that he knows for a fact that at least one lottery team has him at first and that there may be more.

3 hours ago, canuckistani said:

Glad you aren't running my team. 

2 hours ago, canuckistani said:

Hm. 

TSN had 8 scouts out of 10 NHL scouts with Matthews first. So high chance Matthews ends up 1st but Laine has closed the gap considerably. IMO the gap between Matthews and Laine is smaller than the gap between Laine and Puljujaarvi. You compare that to the start of the year where Matthews was considered ahead and the Finns were supposed to fight for #2.

Man I really wish the Canucks could have finished where Winnipeg did. The Jets don't even need a Laine as bad as the Canucks.

4 hours ago, Toews said:

Man I really wish the Canucks could have finished where Winnipeg did. The Jets don't even need a Laine as bad as the Canucks.

If it makes you feel better, it was impossible for us to finish in winnipeg's spot.  We tie them in points and we lose the tiebreaker and end up 5th like calgary.  We pass them in points means we also pass arizona making us 7th and arizona 6th.

The only spots that we controlled was one more win passing columbus or not sweeping that cali trip and losing all 3 in reg which would have tied us with toronto, but we had the tiebreaker with them, so would have won matthews....but hey that cali sweep was real good for team morale I bet!

2 hours ago, FireGillis said:

If it makes you feel better, it was impossible for us to finish in winnipeg's spot.  We tie them in points and we lose the tiebreaker and end up 5th like calgary.  We pass them in points means we also pass arizona making us 7th and arizona 6th.

The only spots that we controlled was one more win passing columbus or not sweeping that cali trip and losing all 3 in reg which would have tied us with toronto, but we had the tiebreaker with them, so would have won matthews....but hey that cali sweep was real good for team morale I bet!

He means he wishes we went 2nd overall. Which could've happened.

6 minutes ago, FireGillis said:

Huh I know that. Finishing 2nd overall meant finishing 6th in winnipeg's spot.

Why ? The second spot was also a lottery, with the exclusion of #1 overall team. 
Ie, they run the lottery for #1 overall, then take the winning team out (which improves the odds slightly for the rest of the 13 teams) and then do the lottery again for #2, then repeat the process for #3. 

we could've simply won the 2nd spot lottery too.

1 minute ago, canuckistani said:

Why ? The second spot was also a lottery, with the exclusion of #1 overall team. 
Ie, they run the lottery for #1 overall, then take the winning team out (which improves the odds slightly for the rest of the 13 teams) and then do the lottery again for #2, then repeat the process for #3. 

we could've simply won the 2nd spot lottery too.

But we know the results of the lottery already. Winnipeg moved up from 6th to 2nd. Just using our own results, we couldn't finish 6th. Only 5th or 7th was possible.

5 minutes ago, FireGillis said:

But we know the results of the lottery already. Winnipeg moved up from 6th to 2nd. Just using our own results, we couldn't finish 6th. Only 5th or 7th was possible.

Yes, but the result's could've been different, thats the point i think Toews was making.

5 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Yes, but the result's could've been different, thats the point i think Toews was making.

Yeah of course. I was just pointing out 6th was the only spot out of own control. Would take changes in winnipeg or arizona results too.  It's all just what ifs anyways. I'm still cursing that big cali sweep costing us matthews though. The irony is that big cali sweep cost us matthews, but winnipeg sweeping cali to end the year won them laine proving life isn't fair.

42 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Yeah.  

The Vancouver Eatmybags.  

Top team in the GFY league. 

Is that roller derby? 

I figured you for a stout , thick , short haired mustache having lady and it appears I was correct. 

Wait a minute. GFY league? 

Gay For You!

you little rascal quit hitting on me !

On 2016-05-01 at 0:26 PM, Hoosierdaddy said:

I'm not convinced any of the top 3 are generational talents. Terrific players to be sure. Our top young player, the best goalie prospect in the NHL, and a guy who (say Dubois) who many think could be a first line centre is too much for a team a long ways from a cup run. 

Well, it's really a matter of whether Cheveldayoff and Keikolainen are convinced of that.

Archived