The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Moving up to top-3 ? What would it take ?

The picks have a certain value, Toronto and Winnipeg would ask for 5x that value for their pick, because it's such a big marketing boost for those towns as well.  It would literally cripple our team.

The only realistic option is the third overall and Columbus, but Jarmo apparently is really happy with it and being a fellow fun, again you'll have to overpay.

The 5th OA, McCann and a 2nd is a realistic starting point,but they'd likely be asking for one of Boeser/Horvat/Demko instead.

I don't think its a 'wont happen' scenario, since every year, there is an offer or two for the top-3 spots from teams that are not. Sometimes they are traded, sometimes they are not.

What if we offered our first overall + Edler good enough ? overpayment ?

7 hours ago, sharbinder said:

Lock this thread

YES SIR, RIGHT AWAY SIR!

This was the first thing I thought when I read your reply.

You are prob right about none of them doing it, but having a civil discussion about "what if", is what these forums are for.

I am with the guys that are saying it would crush our team to do it, nevermind whether the owners of those picks would want to.

8 hours ago, canuckistani said:

I don't think its a 'wont happen' scenario, since every year, there is an offer or two for the top-3 spots from teams that are not. Sometimes they are traded, sometimes they are not.

What if we offered our first overall + Edler good enough ? overpayment ?

Are you serious?   Would you take Edler and the 5th for 1 overall?  You sure wouldn't.  How about for the 2nd?  Not a snowballs chance in hell.  

And you question if that is an overpayment.  Brutal man.  Use your head. 

These teams aren't in the business of giving away their future to help out the Canucks.  

Please dont make another thread.  At least not without actually thinking about what you are saying. 

Another thing not being mentioned is, aside from just the pure talent that the top 3 are (particularly Matthews and Laine), they will also bring an enormous amount of off-season revenue coming up just in merchandise sales. That's another huge reason why an overpayment is needed. The Canucks don't have anything Toronto or Winnipeg would want that would make up for the talent AND lost revenue they'd be giving up.

29 minutes ago, Hoosierdaddy said:

massive overpayment

For a top 3 pick in this draft? No way. 1st overall in 2014 asking price was both Vancouvers 1st round picks + Bo Horvat + Shinkaruk and it was one of the weaker drafts in recent years. Moving up to pick either of the Finns or somehow getting the number one pick is going to cost a fortune. So it's not at all unrealistic that it would cost that much to move up.

1 hour ago, Jaku said:

For a top 3 pick in this draft? No way. 1st overall in 2014 asking price was both Vancouvers 1st round picks + Bo Horvat + Shinkaruk and it was one of the weaker drafts in recent years. Moving up to pick either of the Finns or somehow getting the number one pick is going to cost a fortune. So it's not at all unrealistic that it would cost that much to move up.

I'm not convinced any of the top 3 are generational talents. Terrific players to be sure. Our top young player, the best goalie prospect in the NHL, and a guy who (say Dubois) who many think could be a first line centre is too much for a team a long ways from a cup run. 

Archived