The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Moving up to top-3 ? What would it take ?

3 hours ago, FireGillis said:

If it makes you feel better, it was impossible for us to finish in winnipeg's spot.  We tie them in points and we lose the tiebreaker and end up 5th like calgary.  We pass them in points means we also pass arizona making us 7th and arizona 6th.

The only spots that we controlled was one more win passing columbus or not sweeping that cali trip and losing all 3 in reg which would have tied us with toronto, but we had the tiebreaker with them, so would have won matthews....but hey that cali sweep was real good for team morale I bet!

Yeah, that sounds really unimportant.  Not nearly as big of a deal as fan morale.

Oh right...you cheer for the team to lose, so you're not a fan.

53 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

Yeah, that sounds really unimportant.  Not nearly as big of a deal as fan morale.

Oh right...you cheer for the team to lose, so you're not a fan.

Lol! I hope you enjoy our 5th pick! We wouldn't have gotten him without the losing!

2 hours ago, Hoosierdaddy said:

Actually it would be whether or not GMJB is first as hes the one who'd have to offer that up. 

What I meant was, when you say "I'm not convinced...", it doesn't make a compelling case.  Particularly when it flies in the face of a consensus.  No that I would know....I'm no prospect expert.

1 hour ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

What I meant was, when you say "I'm not convinced...", it doesn't make a compelling case.  Particularly when it flies in the face of a consensus.  No that I would know....I'm no prospect expert.

I wasn't making a case. Simply offering opinion like 99.9% of everything else posted here. My opinion is (after watching them all) is I'm not sure giving up the three players in question is fair/reasonable value for the Canucks who are a looooong way from a legit cup run. I'd rather keep the three in question, pick 5th (where it seems like we'll have a good option) and keep building that way. I actually have faith that with picks 5 & 33 we'll come away with two very good players. 

Actually, I'd rather trade down with Arizona or Boston and get both of their first rounders. I think there's real value yo be found in the later picks still. 

On 5/1/2016 at 10:53 PM, canuckistani said:

I don't think its a 'wont happen' scenario, since every year, there is an offer or two for the top-3 spots from teams that are not. Sometimes they are traded, sometimes they are not.

What if we offered our first overall + Edler good enough ? overpayment ?

On 5/1/2016 at 0:07 AM, Jaku said:

5th overall + Demko + Horvat. Maybe even another pick, or a prospect. It won't be cheap. 

The teams drafting 1-3 are all rebuilding. The won't take a guy like Edler who has already peaked and will be into age-related decline by the time their window for contending for a Cup opens.

Any conversation about moving up probably starts with Vancouver's #5 overall pick and Horvat. I was actually predicting that myself before reading this thread. Benning calls Toronto and the first comment is: "Hi Jim, we'll take Horvat and your first and something else"  -- and maybe that gets bargained down to just the #5 overall and Horvat.

But I don't see the Canucks doing that, and certainly 5th overall + Horvat + Demko is too much.

One point is that this year's #5 pick will be a very good prospect. Either Tkachuk or Dubois would have had a good shot at being  #3 in any of the past 3 years. And, while Laine and Puljujarvi are both very good and ready to play in the NHL next year, they had the advantage of being guys who matured physically early. In the long run Tkachuk or Dubois could have a similar or even higher ceiling. And that fact that Dubois can play center is  real plus.  I agree that Matthews looks like a step above, however.

On May 3, 2016 at 9:10 PM, JamesB said:

The teams drafting 1-3 are all rebuilding. The won't take a guy like Edler who has already peaked and will be into age-related decline by the time their window for contending for a Cup opens.

Any conversation about moving up probably starts with Vancouver's #5 overall pick and Horvat. I was actually predicting that myself before reading this thread. Benning calls Toronto and the first comment is: "Hi Jim, we'll take Horvat and your first and something else"  -- and maybe that gets bargained down to just the #5 overall and Horvat.

But I don't see the Canucks doing that, and certainly 5th overall + Horvat + Demko is too much.

One point is that this year's #5 pick will be a very good prospect. Either Tkachuk or Dubois would have had a good shot at being  #3 in any of the past 3 years. And, while Laine and Puljujarvi are both very good and ready to play in the NHL next year, they had the advantage of being guys who matured physically early. In the long run Tkachuk or Dubois could have a similar or even higher ceiling. And that fact that Dubois can play center is  real plus.  I agree that Matthews looks like a step above, however.

i dont see anyone having more upside  than the finns  hopefully matthews and tkachuk   end up being good 

On Sunday, May 01, 2016 at 6:01 AM, Wrecken said:

YES SIR, RIGHT AWAY SIR!

This was the first thing I thought when I read your reply.

You are prob right about none of them doing it, but having a civil discussion about "what if", is what these forums are for.

I am with the guys that are saying it would crush our team to do it, nevermind whether the owners of those picks would want to.

Ya but why not have it in the proposal section?

Would anyone in their right mind honestly give up a solid young center with leadership potential in Horvat, a potential elite goalie prospect, and a top 5 pick for 1 of 3 guys who have just as equal of chance to bust? 

What if someone levels McDavid again this year and knocks him out for 4 months? Same for Matthews, same for the Finns. 

One first over all picks going to be a game changer? Not if that pick's surrounded by excellent support role players with same tier hockey IQ. 

The ONLY reason EDM has a chance to be anything now is because of the ridiculous waste of talent they have and how much of it they carry. They can afford to trade these pieces and really not be any worse off. 

You can't win a chess match in one move. 

On 2016-05-01 at 11:46 AM, Seven pounds soft said:

Start a beef between Columbus and North Korea. Columbus gets nuked. Edmonton moves to third OA. Trade Edler and 5 Th OA for 3rd OA. Boom ... Literally. 

Brilliant. Make it happen Benning.

better chance of landing edmontons pick at 4, but hey if we pick dubois and ktachuk there would only be a few people left upset about who we pick at 5

but in realistic talk here don't expect us to pick twice in the top 15 or 3 times in the top 33

5th overall Edler Hansen for 2nd overall and winnipeg 2nd rounder

5th and Edler= 2nd overall-Nucks overpay here, but you have to if you want to move up.

winnipeg then trades trouba or Myers to NYI for Hamonic 

Edler Buff

Enstrom Hamonic

Decent top 4 for Winterpeg

We get 2nd overall and another 1st rounder

re sign Hammer.

On May 1, 2016 at 10:46 PM, canuckistani said:

Just out of curiosity, what would it take to get #1 from Toronto or #2 from the Jets ? 

It would be 1st overall (5th overall) + prospect + roster player ? what type and who ?

Our best chance at getting a Fin is an offer sheet 3 years from now that Columbus can't match. 

We probably have a much better opportunity to trade a roster guy like Edler for something lower down in the 9-12 range and maybe get a younger D like a Sergachev into the lineup. 

On ‎01‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 11:19 PM, Kanucklehead10 said:

Hack into one of the top 3's twitters and reveal a picture of one of them smoking out of a bong through a gas mask.

We won't have to trade anything.

Matthews looks like he sells dime bags to teens behind the mall.

Archived