The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Disscussion] Is Tanev Now In Play?

3 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I agree that Tanev won't be on the move.  I do think that a young, scoring PMD is just as big a need for us as a young #1 centre though.  These are the 2 toughest positions to fill, and will come with at price that would hurt to pay.

Trading Tanev would make me feel like I do after visiting the proctologist.  :o

17 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Columbus;

The Blue Jackets are spending an enormous amount on players who are not productive. David Clarkson has a cap hit of $5.25 million and was not close to delivering on it. Jack Johnson has a cap hit over $4 million, but his offense fell off badly and Columbus is overpaying for performance at this point. Of all the teams in the NHL, the Blue Jackets may have the highest number of unproductive players making substantial money. Getting out of that situation will be difficult for management.

For Tanev , the 1rst round pick and Clarkson or Johnson.

Guardian,

I like the idea of taking advantage of some horrible management in Columbus. They are in a world of hurt with being a cash strapped team and having wasted assets on their roster, namely David Clarkson.

I proposed a similar trade, but not involving Tanev. Maybe we could move from the 5th OA to 3rd OA by taking on Clarkson's contract for buyout purposes. We can either add the Torts draft pick or get them to give to is this year to balance out value. 

Version 1our 5th OA for their 3rd OA, Clarkson and the second rounder to be this years.

If they balk, same deal, but include the second rounder from the Torts deal with the 5th OA.

Heck, Torts is kinda his own punishment anyways. 

The cap hit would be somewhat offset by Poolparties RFA years. We would still have money available to sign some FA depth and can also find a way free up more cap by moving Burrows and Higgins. 

If Being thinks that Poolparty will be substantially better over their career than who ever we can grab at 5, then do it. Columbus management may balk, but their ownership may be more interested in saving 5m a season vs dropping 2 draft spots. Plus MT would be a marketing dream for Columbus. 

If Columbus refuses, offer them our 2017 1st, 2nd and 3rd for Seth Jones so they fully understand their predicament. 

He he is the one player that is vulnerable to an offer sheet because of the above mentioned cap problems. 

16 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Leave our defense as is please.  I like the mix of skillsets we have now, and going forward.

The team finished 3 from last in the league and wasn't trying to tank.

The team just traded some goal scoring.

The goal scoring issue might be addressed at the draft but the team still needs the replacements for the Sedins.

6 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Guardian,

I like the idea of taking advantage of some horrible management in Columbus. They are in a world of hurt with being a cash strapped team and having wasted assets on their roster, namely David Clarkson.

I proposed a similar trade, but not involving Tanev. Maybe we could move from the 5th OA to 3rd OA by taking on Clarkson's contract for buyout purposes. We can either add the Torts draft pick or get them to give to is this year to balance out value. 

Version 1our 5th OA for their 3rd OA, Clarkson and the second rounder to be this years.

If they balk, same deal, but include the second rounder from the Torts deal with the 5th OA.

Heck, Torts is kinda his own punishment anyways. 

The cap hit would be somewhat offset by Poolparties RFA years. We would still have money available to sign some FA depth and can also find a way free up more cap by moving Burrows and Higgins. 

If Being thinks that Poolparty will be substantially better over their career than who ever we can grab at 5, then do it. Columbus management may balk, but their ownership may be more interested in saving 5m a season vs dropping 2 draft spots. Plus MT would be a marketing dream for Columbus. 

If Columbus refuses, offer them our 2017 1st, 2nd and 3rd for Seth Jones so they fully understand their predicament. 

He he is the one player that is vulnerable to an offer sheet because of the above mentioned cap problems. 

I would think that Columbus would be more than interested in any deal that helps move out Clarkson. He has a truly horrible contract, it is loaded with yearly signing bonuses, 5, 5, 3.75, 2.25 mil over the next 4 years and that doesn't count his salary.

The offer sheet, well if some doesn't see the same opportunities here, then the "unwritten rule" is still in effect, but any team could do the same thing Burke did to force a deal.

43 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

The team finished 3 from last in the league and wasn't trying to tank.

The team just traded some goal scoring.

The goal scoring issue might be addressed at the draft but the team still needs the replacements for the Sedins.

Our defense was also a huge issue last season.  Do you not remember seeing Weber out there? 

Archived