The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

Don't think so. I think he has to remain on the nucks roster for the remainder of the season. Some sort of waiver rule.

If we send him down the Coyotes get first dibs on him and can re-claim him and send him down to the AHL without having to pass through waivers again. This rule is probably the only reason we still have Markstrom.

Over the next 3 years Van has to replace their entire top 6 forwards. A big issue for this org. That is why I advocate moving current vets out to accelerate the acquisition of prospects and picks. The current depth chart is simply not strong enough. Guance is having a solid rookie season but forecasting his NHL prospects is speculation. Jensen has not seen regular NHL play.

And this is the situation we have looming, in My opinion McCann is our best prospect for 1st line center duty but we need another high pick, a center specifically, an offensive center.

We have 2 way prospects up the a$$ and need someone to take over from Henrik in the not too distant future, Vey and McCann are really the only two possibilities. And I see them more as potential 2C.

Anyone south of McCann is fair game to me. I'd deal Gaunce in a heartbeat,if an 1C center prospect was coming back.

And I don't project Jenssen to be an NHL regular, I just don't see it.

Trading Gauce would be a mistake.

The only thing holding him back right now is his skating. That can be worked on.

He's got the same nose for the net and strength along the boards as Horvat.

Exactly, which in my mind makes him redundant, skating is the biggest issue facing players making that final step to the bigs, so we have a redundant asset with a prime handicap, who apparently has worth on the market?

Let's fill some slots that are empty, Horvat has shown he can play at the NHL level, McCann with his superior speed will blaze past Gaunce on the depth chart and fight Virtannen for the top prospect title.

If Gaunce is attractive to anyone let's hear them out.

Exactly, which in my mind makes him redundant, skating is the biggest issue facing players making that final step to the bigs, so we have a redundant asset with a prime handicap, who apparently has worth on the market?

Let's fill some slots that are empty, Horvat has shown he can play at the NHL level, McCann with his superior speed will blaze past Gaunce on the depth chart and fight Virtannen for the top prospect title.

If Gaunce is attractive to anyone let's hear them out.

No we're weak on left wing, which is the position Gaunce plays right now.

Having big bodied players that play hard and are responsible defensively are never redundant. Especially with the way Benning appears to be building his team.

Both Horvat and Kassian had to work on their skating, and both have made great strides over the last year. Gaunce should be given the same opportunity to improve.

The only way we should be trading Gaunce, is if it's for a top defensive prospect. That's an area we're really weak in right now.

• Upvote 1

Trading Gauce would be a mistake.

The only thing holding him back right now is his skating. That can be worked on.

He's got the same nose for the net and strength along the boards as Horvat.

hes not really that bad at skating but i agree, thats pretty much his only fault, id leave him for another season though

Another year in the AHL won't hurt his development. I think Gaunce will become a fine fourth line centre/winger in two years for the canucks, If Bo gets the third line job.

Gaunce made some improvements on his skating but still needs to work on it, he is a big body and is great in his own zone.

No we're weak on left wing, which is the position Gaunce plays right now.

Having big bodied players that play hard and are responsible defensively are never redundant. Especially with the way Benning appears to be building his team.

Both Horvat and Kassian had to work on their skating, and both have made great strides over the last year. Gaunce should be given the same opportunity to improve.

The only way we should be trading Gaunce, is if it's for a top defensive prospect. That's an area we're really weak in right now.

Gaunce isn't good enough to get a top defensive prospect imo - he's not a top prospect himself so I don't see him getting that kind of a return

He's a very good prospect and I'd rather keep him as well, but I don't think he's untouchable like Horvat

Gaunce isn't good enough to get a top defensive prospect imo - he's not a top prospect himself so I don't see him getting that kind of a return

He's a very good prospect and I'd rather keep him as well, but I don't think he's untouchable like Horvat

i agree hes defenitly not untouchable but as of now his value isnt high even though he has lots of potential, he sort of under the league radar so to speak, hes more valuble to us than anyboy else cause he can only get better so me might aswell hang on to him

Which is why we shouldn't trade him right now.

You don't trade a prospect when his value is low. You build him into something, and then if we still wanna trade him, at least we can get a good return.

Forsling got us one of Chicago's best defensive prospects, and he's certainly not a top prospect. There's always trades out there where teams are willing to dump good young players.

Edited by DeNiro

Which is why we shouldn't trade him right now.

You don't trade a prospect when his value is low. You build him into something, and then if we still wanna trade him, at least we can get a good return.

this is basicly what i was trying to say in my previous post, gaunce is undervalued at a league wide level but for the canucks he deffinitly has higher value, the best move would be to wait and not move him, just leave him alone basiclly same thing with jensen

I keep seeing posts about how Gaunce needs to work on his skating. As a season ticket holder of the comets, having seen him play live about 20 games, I disagree. The last 5-7 games I've seen firsthand, and even commented to my buddy how fast he looked. Also, the way he is starting to use his big frame, with the improved skating has been very noticeable.

Right now, he is way ahead of Shinkaruk in terms of development. And it's not like Guance is playing with superstars. He had Zalewski, who is also a rookie and Carter Bankes. Their line has been the best line over the last 7-10 games.

He had been very fun to watch this year. I don't ever remember getting upset with him for a bad play, like I do with Jensen, Hunter and Griener.

• Upvote 2

Skating isn't just about speed.

Lots of players can skate fast in a straight line.

To play the role the team wants him to play in the NHL, he needs to work on things like starting and stopping, turning, skating backwards, and his overall agility. It's not a knock on him, it's something lots of young players need to work on before making the jump.

• Upvote 1

Please keep posting your scouting reports...would rather hear the opinions of persons like yourself who actually attend Utica games on a regular basis when it comes to providing insights on how the Canucks' prospects are developing as opposed to those who think they know a thing or two from watching streamed games, stat watching and parroting what they may have read or heard.

Thanks for your post, Comet Fan.

Please keep posting your scouting reports...would rather hear the opinions of persons like yourself who actually attend Utica games on a regular basis when it comes to providing insights on how the Canucks' prospects are developing as opposed to those who think they know a thing or two from watching streamed games, stat watching and parroting what they may have read or heard.

Thanks for your post, Comet Fan.

Lol. Too many people on here think that attending games equals being a professional scout.

I respect the opinions of people that go and watch players play live, but it doesn't add anymore weight to their opinion.

In fact I would argue that watching a game on tv or online gives a person a much better vantage point for evaluating talent.

And just so you know, I've followed this guy since he was drafted. I think I know a thing or two about his game. I see alot of people who seem to have just started watching him this season, or check in casually on him.

People who keep denying his skating being an issue despite professional scouts bringing it up time and time again are just ignoring what they don't wanna hear.

Edited by DeNiro

Lol. Too many people on here think that attending games equals being a professional scout.

I respect the opinions of people that go and watch players play live, but it doesn't add anymore weight to their opinion.

In fact I would argue that watching a game on tv or online gives a person a much better vantage point for evaluating talent.

And just so you know, I've followed this guy since he was drafted. I think I know a thing or two about his game. I see alot of people who seem to have just started watching him this season, or check in casually on him.

People who keep denying his skating being an issue despite professional scouts bringing it up time and time again are just ignoring what they don't wanna hear.

You're the man.