The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

30 points is pretty solid production for a rookie who starts in the bottom-6. I would be quite pleased if he got 12-15G and 15-18A in his rookie season. I wouldn't really expect him to get more than that though.

Wheres your CDC spirt. if he doesn't get 60 points in his rookie years he's a dud..... :bigblush:

That's definitely plausible, with Vey not being strong on faceoffs and all. I've also heard he's better on wing, although I'm not sure Benning said that. However, keep in mind that there's talk that Matthias is also better suited on the wing than at center. So both these guys are better on the wing.

My only problem with playing Matthias 3rd line minutes is that a.) he's never been able to produce, and b.) his faceoff % isn't that great. If Vey shows more offensive promise, I would start him at 3C because at least he can produce even though his faceoff % aren't great.

If Vey is really really bad at draws (like low 40%), I think Richardson will get the 3C/LW just because he is good on faceoffs. Richardson is going to have to take a lot of draws this upcoming season because he's our best faceoff guy, and Henrik is the only one other than him that is above 50%. That alone should put him ahead of Matthias since their production is a draw. So, the only thing I'd switch is Richardson and Matthias's place on your roster.

That's also why I say Bo actually has a better chance at center - because Matthias is better off on the wing, and if Bo's even 50% on draws, he can be our 3rd best faceoff man (better than Matthias, Vey and Bonino), and if he can show that he can defend at this level, he has a serious shot at 4C.

Horvat wouldn't be there to fight. He'd be there to play the 4th line LW position. He's not replacing Sestito's role as an enforcer, but his roster spot. How did you not get that...

Did you seriously just scratch our best faceoff man (Richardson.. since you clearly don't have a clue) from last season? And Richardson will definitely get picked up... Horrible asset management if we followed your advice.

I would keep Hansen over Sestito because we are not against the cap and Hansen is way more talented. Again, Horrible asset management.

From what we saw last season, Jensen is not even close to pushing Kassian down on the depth chart. Kassian was one of our best players in the final stretch, while Jensen was hot for a couple games then disappeared for the rest. He'd have a better chance displacing Burrows on the 2LW. In all likelihood, he'll be returned to Utica since he's waiver exempt.

I tend to agree with that view on draft picks - any solid and serviceable NHL talent drafted is a good pick.

However, it's who we traded him for and the number of elite talent players we passed on at #9 that would hurt to look back on if he pans out to be only a 3rd line center. There's nothing wrong with it, but it would hurt, man. It would hurt given the circumstances.

Benning loves Matthias and he is not going to trade him. Also, we are not restrained by the cap so there's no reason to move Hansen. We can just move Sestito and Jeffrey and keep Hansen as the extra forward if the lineup you suggest actually happens (highly unlikely Bo is a 3rd line player at this point and Jensen won't be on the 1st line).

Are you sure Horvat wouldn't be there to fight? Haven't you seen is summer selfie all ripped up. Jeez, download the sarcasm App, it'll help you identify them. I just said right after my comment, "But seriously"

Anyway you can insult my "asset management" all you want, yours is to keep the status quo, with the only change replacing Kesler by Bonino and Vrbata. Good idea, let's keep the same roster as the one that finished 25th in the league.

You really need to specify that Hansen is more talented than Sestito? D'uh!!! He also cost 2.5M for the next 3-4 years. And you suggest putting him on the 4th or the extra forward. Wow, that's awesome asset/money management.

Hansen could actually fetch a decent return, which could help us acquiring future asset at the deadline or move up the draft or have a decent pick.

Jensen is a projected top 6 player. It's not about pushing Kassian down the depth chart, Kassian is more versatile, can play up and down the line-up, where as Jensen is purely an offensive player. He need to be put in an offensive situation. They would probably end up with similar icetime, specially if Kassian plays with Higgins. Also ideally, you wouldn't put Horvat and Jensen on the same line, hence why I put the two rookies with veteran players.

Wow big deal Richardson won 55% of his faceoff last year. The four previous year with LA he was 48, 58, 50 and 48%. When you have a guy like Manny who consistenly win 60-65% of his face-off....THEN you have an asset, Richardson is average at best. You really think a 29years old with a career high of 27 points back in 2010 is "DEFINITLY" going to get picked up and is that much important for our team?. Wow no wonder there is so many conspiracy theorist on CDC, people actually think all of our roster are "irreplaceable" and wonder how could we finish 25th with such a loaded team LOL.

Are you sure Horvat wouldn't be there to fight? Haven't you seen is summer selfie all ripped up. Jeez, download the sarcasm App, it'll help you identify them. I just said right after my comment, "But seriously"

Anyway you can insult my "asset management" all you want, yours is to keep the status quo, with the only change replacing Kesler by Bonino and Vrbata. Good idea, let's keep the same roster as the one that finished 25th in the league.

You really need to specify that Hansen is more talented than Sestito? D'uh!!! He also cost 2.5M for the next 3-4 years. And you suggest putting him on the 4th or the extra forward. Wow, that's awesome asset/money management.

Hansen could actually fetch a decent return, which could help us acquiring future asset at the deadline or move up the draft or have a decent pick.

Jensen is a projected top 6 player. It's not about pushing Kassian down the depth chart, Kassian is more versatile, can play up and down the line-up, where as Jensen is purely an offensive player. He need to be put in an offensive situation. They would probably end up with similar icetime, specially if Kassian plays with Higgins. Also ideally, you wouldn't put Horvat and Jensen on the same line, hence why I put the two rookies with veteran players.

Wow big deal Richardson won 55% of his faceoff last year. The four previous year with LA he was 48, 58, 50 and 48%. When you have a guy like Manny who consistenly win 60-65% of his face-off....THEN you have an asset, Richardson is average at best. You really think a 29years old with a career high of 27 points back in 2010 is "DEFINITLY" going to get picked up and is that much important for our team?. Wow no wonder there is so many conspiracy theorist on CDC, people actually think all of our roster are "irreplaceable" and wonder how could we finish 25th with such a loaded team LOL.

I want to understand you.

Hansen costs more, yes. But we have cap space. Why move the better forward when you can carry him?

Jensen is a projected top 6. Yes. P.R.O.J.E.C.T.E.D. He wasn't ready last year, and he most likely isn't this year.

You talk about status quo. You underestimate the implications of Radim Vrbata. He literally pushes every winger down a line (except Kassian who is on an up-trend) from where they played last year - that gives us depth. Losing Kesler may or may not hurt - given all the talks coming out about how bad he was in the locker room. Bonino is solid. We also added Vey and Dorsett - depth. This is not last year's Canucks where we sometimes had to play Yannick Weber on the 4th line.

You put Kassian down a line because he's versatile? If he is clearly better than Jensen, why would you put him below him. You ice the best players you have on the best lines. If Jensen can't beat Kassian out, since he's a PROJECTED top 6, he needs to go down to Utica and work on his game until he can play in the top 6 in the NHL.

Having a 55% guy on your team is an asset when he is your best faceoff guy. Bonino, Vey and Matthias are all below 50%. Richardson is an asset not because he's great by the league's standard, but because he's great relative to all centers we have.

Edited by Dasein
  • Upvote 1

Chill out there bud, eh?

• Upvote 1

I want to understand you.

Hansen costs more, yes. But we have cap space. Why move the better forward when you can carry him?

Jensen is a projected top 6. Yes. P.R.O.J.E.C.T.E.D. He wasn't ready last year, and he most likely isn't this year.

You talk about status quo. You underestimate the implications of Radim Vrbata. He literally pushes every winger down a line (except Kassian who is on an up-trend) from where they played last year - that gives us depth. Losing Kesler may or may not hurt - given all the talks coming out about how bad he was in the locker room. Bonino is solid. We also added Vey and Dorsett - depth. This is not last year's Canucks where we sometimes had to play Yannick Weber on the 4th line.

You put Kassian down a line because he's versatile? If he is clearly better than Jensen, why would you put him below him. You ice the best players you have on the best lines. If Jensen can't beat Kassian out, since he's a PROJECTED top 6, he needs to go down to Utica and work on his game until he can play in the top 6 in the NHL.

Having a 55% guy on your team is an asset when he is your best faceoff guy. Bonino, Vey and Matthias are all below 50%. Richardson is an asset not because he's great by the league's standard, but because he's great relative to all centers we have.

This is where I don't agree, even if we ice the best combinations with the players we have at camp, we'll barely make the playoffs anyways or maybe not even. I'd rather spend time developping some prospect and get them 1 more year under their belt, at the risk of sacrificing another playoff, rather than fighting until the end with veteran without anymore guarantee we'll be there anyways. It'll be beneficial down the road.

I'm not saying play the kids until they are minus -157 and not getting any points. If they can compete close to the level of a veteran like Richardson, who likely won't be here next year, even if they makes more mistakes at times, i'd rather keep a prospect in the line-up.

Anyways, i'm pretty sure we can agree on one things, that we'll never agree on this year's line-up.

Edited by timberz21

I think what it all comes down to here, is maybe we should see how Bo, or ANY of our prospects do in the Young Stars tourney, followed by the main camp. Do I think Bo will make it this year? Yes. I have watched this guy play in London for the last 3 years, and he plays with an intensity that last years squad could have used. He is ready. And the guy is a shark in the face off circle. He won the CHL award for best face off in the league. Now yes, that may not transfer over to the NHL but we can all hope. I've seen him fight as well. Last year someone threw a dirty hit on Max Domi and Bo stuck up for him.

Wait till next week and you'll all see

• Upvote 1

This is where I don't agree, even if we ice the best combinations with the players we have at camp, we'll barely make the playoffs anyways or maybe not even. I'd rather spend time developping some prospect and get them 1 more year under their belt, at the risk of sacrificing another playoff than fight until the end with veteran without anymore guarantee we'll be there anyways. It'll be beneficial down the road.

I'm not saying play the kids until they are minus -157 and not getting any points. If they can compete close to the level of a veteran like Richardson, who likely won't be here next year, even if they makes more mistakes at times, i'd rather keep a prospect in the line-up.

Anyways, i'm pretty sure we can agree on one things, that we'll never agree on this year's line-up.

Except not even our executives agree with your view. Benning wants to bring the kids up in a competitive room. He doesn't want them developing in a losing environment like Edmonton.

We ice the best and try to make the playoffs - even if it is as the 8th seed.

Edited by Dasein
  • Upvote 1

I enjoyed reading this just now (haven't seen it posted here).

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/vancouver-canucks/Canucks+prospect+Horvat+primed+rookie/10182966/story.html

There's a bit in there that talks about how he loves to skate in the summer and takes minimal time off of training. His work ethic sounds top notch. I'm super excited to see what he can do come young stars tourney.

Edited by Bigturk8

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/vancouver-canucks/Canucks+prospect+Horvat+primed+rookie/10182966/story.html

There's a bit in there that talks about how he loves to skate in the summer and takes minimal time off of training. His work ethic sounds top notch. I'm super excited to see what he can do come young stars tourney.

Good read. Gonna be REAL interesting to see what he can do. The Hunters probably let him go early because they actually think he has a chance.

Except not even our executives agree with your view. Benning wants to bring the kids up in a competitive room. He doesn't want them developing in a losing environment like Edmonton.

We ice the best and try to make the playoffs - even if it is as the 8th seed.

Completely different environnement. Edmonton, was trying to develop their kids as first liners and core players with 22min ice-time per games. The Sedins, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Miller is still going to be the core and important player of this team. Look what LA did with Pearson, Toffoli and Boston with Krug, Hamilton and Smith. They incorporated them to the Carter, Brown, Kopitar, Doughty, Bergeron, Krejic, Lucic, Chara and not ask to replace them like Edmonton did with their kids.

What am I saying is play the kids in a secondary, but meaningful role, give them a chance. Rather than leaving them in Sestito's spot as 12th and 13th forward and spending the year in Utica. Otherwise, we will bring them up only when the Sedins are gone or close and then it'll be like Edmonton when they'll be put in 1st line role without barely any experience.

Management is not going to admit, yeah we'll run with kids this year and sacrafice the playoffs. But that doesn't matter because it's not going to fall on those kids wether we make the playoff or not, big part is going to be how the veteran/core plays (Sedins, Vrbata, Bonino, Burrows, Hamhuis, Edler, Bieksa, Miller, and not Higgins, Hansen, Richardson, Matthias, Dorsett). Also i'm not suggesting our top 6 should be Sedin, Sedin, Vrbata, Shinkaruk, Horvat, Jensen.....that would be a mistake.

If the kids are awful of course you send them down/minors, but if like Jensen did last year, prove he can play in this league (not saying he tore it apart and will score 30G this year, but he proved he can play, despite making mistakes), let them play, they will bring a lot more rewards than playing safe low risk/low rewards players like Richardson, we have enough of them.

Edited by timberz21

Thanks for posting...next week can't come fast enough!

Completely different environnement. Edmonton, was trying to develop their kids as first liners and core players with 22min ice-time per games. The Sedins, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Miller is still going to be the core and important player of this team. Look what LA did with Pearson, Toffoli and Boston with Krug and Smith. They incorporated them to the Carter, Brown, Kopitar, Doughty, Bergeron, Krejic, Lucic, Chara and not ask to replace them like Edmonton did with their kids.

What am I saying is play the kids in a secondary, but meaningful role, give them a chance. Rather than leaving them in Sestito's spot as 12th and 13th forward and spending the year in Utica. Otherwise, we will bring them up only when the Sedins are gone or close and then it'll be like Edmonton when they'll be put in 1st line role without barely any experience.

Management is not going to admit, yeah we'll run with kids this year and sacrafice the playoffs. But that doesn't matter because it's not going to fall on those kids wether we make the playoff or not, big part is going to be how the veteran/core plays (Sedins, Vrbata, Bonino, Burrows, Hamhuis, Edler, Bieksa, Miller, and not Higgins, Hansen, Richardson, Matthias, Dorsett). Also i'm not suggesting our top 6 should be Sedin, Sedin, Vrbata, Shinkaruk, Horvat, Jensen.....that would be a mistake.

If the kids are awful of course you send them down/minors, but if like Jensen did last year, prove he can play in this league (not saying he tore it apart and will score 30G this year, but he proved he can play, despite making mistakes), let them play, they will bring a lot more rewards than playing safe low risk/low rewards players like Richardson, we have enough of them.

I see your point, but I don't think Jensen proved he could play in this league last year. He's a top 6 or bust guy, so he needs to bring top 6 production. His stats last year don't indicate that he's ready to take on that role yet. I think 1 more year or half a year in Utica would prepare him well to be more consistent.

Pearson and Toffoli spent a full year in the AHL then spent the majority of last year in the AHL before Toffoli made the jump after camp as a 3rd/4th liner (something Jensen can't do) and Pearson around the Olympic break. The point is, LA developed them in the minors and had them play top 6 minutes to learn the pro game well before making the jump.
I think if we are to follow that route, Jensen could be called up around the trade deadline this year to play with us while Gaunce, Shinkaruk and Fox remain in Utica for the year and get a look briefly when injuries occur. They would make the jump around the new year or All-star break next season.
The AHL is where young pros go for the first time to learn how to play the game properly while playing a lot of minutes. That's where most, if not all, our prospects belong at this stage in their developments. Jensen needs to be more consistent - that can be learned playing top minutes in Utica. Gaunce, Shinkaruk and Fox all need to learn what it means to be a pro - playing a full 80-game season, taking care of your body and being consistent. That all comes there. NHL is not a learning league for the pro game - that's what the AHL is for. Once you've become a pro, then you make the jump to the NHL. It's much easier because you just have to adjust to the NHL pace and skill level whereas if you make the jump to pro right away to the NHL you have to learn to become a pro also at the same time.
As for Bo, he's a wild card because he could make the team as a 19 year old.
Edited by Dasein

I would love to see Horvat make this squad, but he has things going against him.

- He has to play lights out better than one of the bottom 6 guys to stick, even if he's equal he will be sent back to down. Plain and simple. I don't personally know Benning, but he strikes me as a no BS kind of guy. He's not going to dick around players on the team who have 1 way contracts, just to bring in youth, unless that youth is substantially better and forces his hand. I understand it's a business, but treating established players with respect is a big reason this franchise has lost so much credibility during the Gillis era. Let's not lose sight of this....

- His primary competition this year is Linden Vey and Richardson. Considering Richardson is on the final year of his contract and we'd lose Vey if we sent him to the minors, Horvat has to again, be lights out better...I just don't see it happening

- Lastly, to those of you who think it will hinder him to go back to Juniors. IT WON'T. His development will continue because he's motivated. He may not have a ton to still learn at that level, but there are still holes in his game that he can improve on and he will.

A couple more off thread points....

- Our GM has the philosophy of seasoning young players, as many successful organizations do. So, lets be prepared to integrate youth in a player or two at a time over the next few seasons. With a majority going down to the minors, where hopefully, they can win and find success as a group.

- I see a lot of people talking about the youth movement, but we're still a few years away from having a truly young team. In our forward ranks next season we will have Kassian (23) and Vey (23) leading that charge. Optimism is great, but patience is also important. Besides, there will be guys like Gaunce, Shink, Jensen, Sanguitti, Corrado, etc...that will all get looks this year when injuries hit. It's exciting to finally have depth in this way.

- I see a lot people saying Matthias will be traded if a young guy makes the roster....He, like a majority of our roster, played poorly under Torts. Don't be surprised if he carves our a solid 3rd line wing role or 2nd line wing role (he and kass had really nice chemistry together)..This guy isn't going anywhere immediately...if anyone gets traded away to make space for youth, it's Higgy, Hansen, Sestito, possibly Burr (doubtful).

Can't wait for season to start!!! GO CANUCKS!!!!!

I would love to see Horvat make this squad, but he has things going against him.

- He has to play lights out better than one of the bottom 6 guys to stick, even if he's equal he will be sent back to down. Plain and simple.

- Our GM has the philosophy of seasoning young players, as many successful organizations do. So, lets be prepared to integrate youth in a player or two at a time over the next few seasons.

-Benning's actually on record as saying that if it's a draw between a younger and older player he'll go with the younger guy. So not so plain or simple actually.

-That's the plan. That said, if they're ready, they're ready.

- He has to play lights out better than one of the bottom 6 guys to stick, even if he's equal he will be sent back to down. Plain and simple. I don't personally know Benning, but he strikes me as a no BS kind of guy. He's not going to dick around players on the team who have 1 way contracts, just to bring in youth, unless that youth is substantially better and forces his hand. I understand it's a business, but treating established players with respect is a big reason this franchise has lost so much credibility during the Gillis era. Let's not lose sight of this....

- His primary competition this year is Linden Vey and Richardson. Considering Richardson is on the final year of his contract and we'd lose Vey if we sent him to the minors, Horvat has to again, be lights out better...I just don't see it happening

- Lastly, to those of you who think it will hinder him to go back to Juniors. IT WON'T. His development will continue because he's motivated. He may not have a ton to still learn at that level, but there are still holes in his game that he can improve on and he will.

A couple more off thread points....

- Our GM has the philosophy of seasoning young players, as many successful organizations do. So, lets be prepared to integrate youth in a player or two at a time over the next few seasons. With a majority going down to the minors, where hopefully, they can win and find success as a group.

- I see a lot of people talking about the youth movement, but we're still a few years away from having a truly young team. In our forward ranks next season we will have Kassian (23) and Vey (23) leading that charge. Optimism is great, but patience is also important. Besides, there will be guys like Gaunce, Shink, Jensen, Sanguitti, Corrado, etc...that will all get looks this year when injuries hit. It's exciting to finally have depth in this way.

- I see a lot people saying Matthias will be traded if a young guy makes the roster....He, like a majority of our roster, played poorly under Torts. Don't be surprised if he carves our a solid 3rd line wing role or 2nd line wing role (he and kass had really nice chemistry together)..This guy isn't going anywhere immediately...if anyone gets traded away to make space for youth, it's Higgy, Hansen, Sestito, possibly Burr (doubtful).

Can't wait for season to start!!! GO CANUCKS!!!!!

Horvat's biggest competition is an injury free pre season for the Canucks (one in a hundred ? chance of that).

As long as some regular player, forward or defence gets injured there will be room for Horvat...and he will deserve it!

Just look at him 215 and ripped, the latest video's of him show a faster skater, he already had hockey sense now he has a year more maturity.

If the team is healthy at any point in the season, which is not likely, Horvat's competition would include Hansen and Sestito as well, not to win there spots himself but to push another player down to take there spots like Mathias and Richardson who can both play wing or Dorset and Vey.

Bo's profile is up.

Even if Horvat goes back to London this season for another shot at the Memorial Cup and World Junior gold, and even if Hunter Shinkaruk and Jake Virtanen and Jared McCann have monster seasons next year and overtake him the next time our Prospect Profile series rolls around, Bo Horvat has solidified himself as a very, very good prospect. Here's to hoping his development goes perfectly.

http://canucksarmy.com/2014/9/10/prospect-profile-1-bo-horvat

This is the closing comment. I like that they recognize that Bo isn't the player with the highest ceiling (Virtanen, McCann and Shinkaruk all appear to have more potential), but is rather a safe player who does a little bit of everything well - which put him ahead of everyone for now.

Right now, Bo's place is rightfully #1, but with the likes of Virtanen, McCann and Shinkaruk, that will probably change by next year around this time - not because Bo didn't improve, but because a few behind him excelled (just like how a sound prospect in Gaunce dropped in the ranking and our depth chart).

Edited by Dasein

Horvat's biggest competition is an injury free pre season for the Canucks (one in a hundred ? chance of that).

As long as some regular player, forward or defence gets injured there will be room for Horvat...and he will deserve it!

Just look at him 215 and ripped, the latest video's of him show a faster skater, he already had hockey sense now he has a year more maturity.

If the team is healthy at any point in the season, which is not likely, Horvat's competition would include Hansen and Sestito as well, not to win there spots himself but to push another player down to take there spots like Mathias and Richardson who can both play wing or Dorset and Vey.

I'm not so sure it is an injury free pre season (obviously super important) that is Bo's biggest obstacle. JB has brought in depth to challenge existing players and force the issue of young players having to really earn spots. I do think Bo can do that, but I think it's unlikely. He'll have to beat out one of the following: Hansen, Richardson, Matthias, Vey; which is very possible, but I think he has to be that much better right out the gate (it's hard for most 19 yr old rookies to sustain a high gear through a full 82). Those guys (except Vey, but again he's been involved in the pro game for a few years now) are established NHLer's for a reason and they understand the rigours of full 82 game season. I don't include Dorsett/Sestito into that group because they serve a role that Bo is not suited to play and one you don't want him to play or develop in....

Nothing would make me happier than to see a roster with two exciting rookies (Bo, Vey) but I just don't see it happening. Matthias, Hansen have something to prove and will. Richardson is a Stanley Cup winner, excellent face off man/shut down guy. Neither Bo or Vey can bring to the table as rookies what Richy does.

I think ultimately Bo, Jensen, and Corrado will get their 9 games, but Bo will be sent back to Juniors to dominate and the team will ask him to work on a few more things....If we make playoffs they'll recall him as soon as his seasons over. If we don't, then hopefully Utica does because then he'll get an opportunity to play playoffs there when his season in London is done.

As for Vey, I think he has the most realistic shot at starting as our 3C and will be given a longer leash to prove himself. He's paid his dues, has familiarity with the coach, can't be sent to the minors without losing him to waivers, and has higher offensive potential than Bo. Not to mention, JB has gone on record (today) as saying Vey is the newest addition that has flown under the radar and believes will have a big impact. I believe the same and am under the view that Vey will be in the Calder conversation by years end.

With regard to injuries, that's the beauty of having a stocked pipeline. We have legitimate young players with potential to call up now from our farm in: Gaunce, Jensen, Shink, Fox, Corrado, etc...It is too bad that Horvat can't be in that group if doesn't earn a roster spot (the nhl/chl agreement is out dated and needs to be revised for players in Horvats position)...

How I see the opening night roster:

D.Sedin - H.Seding - Vrbata

Kassian - Bonino - Matthias

Burrows - Vey - Higgins

Hansen- Richardson - Dorsett

Sestito

Edler - Tanev

Bieksa - Hamhuis

Sbisa - Stanton

Weber

Horvat (9 games), Jensen (9 games), Corrado (9 Games)

Miller

Lack

Markstrom (Will be traded for some kind of future asset)