The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] 2016 NHL Entry Draft

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

It's risky in the sense that it's not the way that it's usually done and there's very little margin for error.  The saving grace for the Canucks and Benning is that of all of the Canadian markets, Vancouver is a Top 3 destination and that will help a lot when it comes to free agency.

I've seen lots of teams stock up on 2nd and 3rd round picks in a rebuild with nothing to show for it in the end.

Sure you're bound to miss out on some good talent if you keep doing it, but the odds are the players we traded for with the picks will play more games than the player we would have drafted. That's just the odds.

As long as we don't make a habit out of trading our 1st and 2nd rounders, and hit some late round gems we'll be fine. Smart trades and free agent signings are just as important in a rebuild. Rebuilding solely through the draft won't get you very far.

1 minute ago, Jack Fig said:

Was with the Giants for aye at and a half, couldn't get much going. Missed his entire 16yo year with a knee injury. Caught fire in Calgary last season after traded from the Giants. Fabulous skater. Much more likely to be an NHLer than Ty Ronning. I'd say it's a good gamble by Benning. 

Thank you! I was born and live in Toronto so I don't pay too much attention to BC players specifically - nice to know he's a player who has been getting better. Those are the best kinds of late round picks.

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I've seen lots of teams stock up on 2nd and 3rd round picks in a rebuild with nothing to show for it in the end.

Sure you're bound to miss out on some good talent if you keep doing it, but the odds are the players we traded for with the picks will play more games than the player we would have drafted. That's just the odds.

As long as we don't make a habit out of trading our 1st and 2nd rounders, and hit some late round gems we'll be fine. Smart trades and free agent signings are just as important in a rebuild. Rebuilding solely through the draft won't get you very far.

Agreed.  Now the biggest priority is to rebuild the on-ice product, but if JB manages to get that done in the next 2 years, he'll then make the transition into stocking up through the draft to keep the future looking promising.

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

Agreed.  Now the biggest priority is to rebuild the on-ice product, but if JB manages to get that done in the next 2 years, he'll then make the transition into stocking up through the draft to keep the future looking promising.

Definitely. He even said that in his interview.

He said that because of our lack of depth before, we're just at the point where we have some depth at every position. He also said that he's looking forward to the time when we're one of the teams with lots of picks and the ability to make moves.

I totally understand why he made the moves he did trading picks. You can't go a decade with failed drafts and not have serious holes that need filling in your system. Unless you want to fill them with bad free agent signings, trades have to be made.

Tyler Wall. Wall. Very suiting name for a goalie. Sawchenko is still available. Didn't think he would have been passed up on for this long. I wonder if his inconsistent play finally caught up with him. 

Archived