The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton draft thoughts?

aqua59

14 minutes ago, Mr.Mulletandbars said:

They could have upped Vrbata's value by playing him with the Sedins easily and with Hamhuis they should have requested he waive way sooner. They left no time to negotiate a trade for Hamhuis and  we had nothing to gain by playing Hanson with the Sedins for the last half the season if we have no plans of moving him. This management team needs to look further into the future and how they can better manage their assets. Your telling me that San Jose wouldn't have moved their 2nd for Hamhuis instead of picking up Roman Polak? I know your going to argue Hamhuis wouldn't waive to San Jose but I am not so sure and if they approached him sooner my guess is Hamhuis is more reasonable. 

Bottom line is you're never going to be happy, nor do you want to be happy.  You want them to fail because it reinforces your negative outlook on the team and probably on life in general.  

Any schmo can be a pessimist, dare to be an optimist.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Bottom line is you're never going to be happy, nor do you want to be happy.  You want them to fail because it reinforces your negative outlook on the team and probably on life in general.  

Any schmo can be a pessimist, dare to be an optimist.

Are you serious?

I have been happy in the past with decisions of management. Love the Boeser draft pick, Demko looks like a steal, I like Olli.

Calling my personal life out because I don't agree with how management has handled their assets and I explain how I feel they could have handled it and had more draft picks which could have won them the draft?  Mistakes were made here and its okay as a fan to call it out. Is this not a form discussing the results for 3 teams Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver? So because I dont feel the Canucks did as well as those teams  I am automatically negative?

I find it hilarious that if I disagree with how the team is handled I should become a Leafs fan and now I guess I am negative on life.

What a stupid reply.

1 minute ago, Mr.Mulletandbars said:

Are you serious?

I have been happy in the past with decisions of management. Love the Boeser draft pick, Demko looks like a steal, I like Olli.

Calling my personal life out because I don't agree with how management has handled their assets and I explain how I feel they could have handled it and had more draft picks which could have won them the draft?  Mistakes were made here and its okay as a fan to call it out. Is this not a form discussing the results for 3 teams Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver? So because I dont feel the Canucks did as well as those teams  I am automatically negative?

I find it hilarious that if I disagree with how the team is handled I should become a Leafs fan and now I guess I am negative on life.

What a stupid reply.

Sure

8 hours ago, stawns said:

Both Calgary and Edmonton would have made that same move for gud in a millisecond.

I want all Canadian teams to be good and I'm excited that the canucks-oilers-flames rivalry looks like it's going to get good again.  I miss those battles.

I agree, if Calgary and Edmonton aren't good whats to look forward to on a winter weeknight after work.

5 hours ago, BenSurgeon said:

I checked on here and couldn't find if this was discussed or not but I was reading Sportsnet and they were saying that CBJ were in talks to move down in the draft but the talks fell through at the last minute. The rumour was it was either Vancouver or Edmonton. If it was Vancouver then Juolevi may not have been the player they really wanted in the first place, although in this case it would make more sense for the Canucks to move down if that is the player they wanted. 

I heard that too, if its true or not who knows?

I don't doubt it. When you think about it every little move between these three teams will effect the future. 

I'm still betting on Vancouver in the long run because of solid defense.  

Calgary has a pretty good looking defense shaping up as does Vancouver. 

Like I said , if Lucic signs in Edmonton Vancouver has to remind him every time they play he made a big mistake, for how ever that contract may be. 

Canucks only had 2 picks in the first 4 rounds.  Both Calgary and Edmonton drafted more highly touted prospects than Joulevi.  But according to OP, Vancouver did better?  OK. 

Both Edmonton and Calgary have goalies now too.  Make fun of Elliot all you want, he's better than Miller or Markstrom. 

2 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Canucks only had 2 picks in the first 4 rounds.  Both Calgary and Edmonton drafted more highly touted prospects than Joulevi.  But according to OP, Vancouver did better?  OK. 

Both Edmonton and Calgary have goalies now too.  Make fun of Elliot all you want, he's better than Miller or Markstrom. 

I wouldn't say tkachuk is better than juolevi......I think he's closer to being in the lineup, but you can't really compare them.

2 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Edmonton picked before us..so yeah..makes sense that their pick would be more highly touted..We will have to wait and see who becomes the better out of Tkachuk or Juolevi.

Elliott is a good goalie ,but he's never been a solid #1 starter (that's why he only went for a 2nd)..Markstrom is projected to be a #1 ( as is Demko)..and Miller is a Vezina winner.

Edmonton picked the BPA and didn't address their positional needs. Calgary snagged a great player in Tkachuk but he's overrated since he played with two great players in Dvorak and Marner. But he'll probably turn into a great player. Vancouver won the draft. They drafted the best defenseman in the draft. And added a few good players with their other picks in Lockwood, Abols, Stewart, etc.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I wouldn't say tkachuk is better than juolevi......I think he's closer to being in the lineup, but you can't really compare them.

I'm not comparing players.  I'm arguing against the opinion that the Alberta teams did worse at the draft than Vancouver.  It can't be argued that they got the higher ranked prospects (for what that's worth) or that they got more of them at the top of the draft as we only drafted twice in the first 4. 

1 hour ago, Honky Cat said:

Edmonton picked before us..so yeah..makes sense that their pick would be more highly touted..We will have to wait and see who becomes the better out of Tkachuk or Juolevi.

Elliott is a good goalie ,but he's never been a solid #1 starter (that's why he only went for a 2nd)..Markstrom is projected to be a #1 ( as is Demko)..and Miller is a Vezina winner.

Markstrom has never been a solid #1 starter either.  At least Elliot has accomplished things recently.  Miller is a Vezina winner.  But things have changed a lot since 2010. 

21 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

I'm not comparing players.  I'm arguing against the opinion that the Alberta teams did worse at the draft than Vancouver.  It can't be argued that they got the higher ranked prospects (for what that's worth) or that they got more of them at the top of the draft as we only drafted twice in the first 4. 

Markstrom has never been a solid #1 starter either.  At least Elliot has accomplished things recently.  Miller is a Vezina winner.  But things have changed a lot since 2010. 

I think all three Canadian Pacific teams had a great first round and I'm thrilled.

18 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Elliott has not accomplished anything near Miller,he's 31 and he's never been a true #1....Markstrom has been impressive this year,but obviously didn't have a team like the Blues in front of him.

Besides Elliott,what else has Calgary done to bolster their team for next season ?..(they were equally as pathetic as the Canucks)...Its the same team pretty much.

Both Alberta teams did well in the draft,both teams had great players fall in their laps..complete no-brainers.

Archived