The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Plan B (no Lucic - Proposal)

With the Hall trade to make room for Lucic in Edmonton, JB needs to go to Plan B.  As much as I wanted Lucic in Vancouver, the proposed 7 yrs for $7 million will be too onerous in years 5-7 of the contract.  Also with Stamkos off the market, the teams that wanted to sign him will redivert their $$ towards the remaining UFA's, making it more difficult to sign Eriksson, Ladd, Brouwer, Okposo.

Plan B:

1.  Trade Higgins and Sbisa to CBJ for Hartnell and Johnson.  Gives CBJ cap relief.  Torts liked Higgins ... we save the buyout $$

2.  Trade Burrows to CAR for 2nd Rd Pick ... Carolina needs $$ to get to the cap floor and they only pay $3 million for $4.5 million in cap $.

3.  Sign Backes 3 yrs $5 million per year ... remembers the offer sheet he signed back in the Gillis days

4.  Sign Helm $3 million per year for 4 yrs ... MH Tigers connection

5.  Re-sign RFA's to 2 year bridge deals (like Hertl in SJ) - Horvat $2.8 million, Hutton $2 million, Markstrom $3.5 million, Tryamkin $1.5 million

6.  Extend Gudbranson $5 million for 6 years

7.  Virtanen plays in AHL next year to gain experience (or until we trade Hansen or Dorsett at trade deadline)

CAP $ 70,785,892 (space ~$2.2 million) ... and under cap for future years too

D. Sedin / H. Sedin / Backes

Hartnell / Sutter / Rodin

Baertschi / Horvat / Hansen

Granlund / Helm /  Dorsett

Etem / Gaunce

Edler / Tanev

Johnson / Gudbranson

Hutton / Tryamkin

Pedan / Biega

Miller

Markstrom

I wouldn't be all that torqued up if Benning missed out on the top tier UFAs.  I like the strategy of signing a couple of mid-tier UFAs at a discount and for short term.  I would consider this UFA season a success if Benning is able to pull off 2-3 of the following:

(1) Mikael Boedker to three year at $4.5M AAV - good candidate to play with the Sedins

(2) Eric Staal to one year $2M AAV - apparently he's willing to take a big haircut and is uber-motivated to prove he isn't washed up.  Reminds me of the chatter about Burrows after he fell off the cliff a few seasons ago.

(3) Brett Connolly to one year $900K AAV - IMO, still lots of potential (just gotta stay healthy).

(4) Devante Smith-Pelly to one year at $900K AAV - I like his speed and sturdiness, though he might be redundant with Etem on the depth chart.

(5) Jared Cowan to two years at $1.25M AAV - can't help myself...I like big bruising d-men and we could use more of these even with Tryamkin, Gudbranson and Pedan in the line up.

(6) Patrick Wiercioch to two years at $1.25M AAV - another big d-man, though he's not all that physical.

(7) Brandon Pirri to two years at $750K - goal scorer who could be a cheap option to play with the Sedins.

(8) Justin Schultz to two years at $1.0M AAV - say what you want about this kid, but the Canucks still are missing a PP-QB.  You know, the role that Willie tried to get Yannick Weber to play a couple of seasons ago?  Honestly think that he with the Sedins would make for a deadly power play.  Sedins could use a player to act as a fourth forward, the way they are able to control the puck.  Schultz could be that guy.  Plus, the Sedins have missed playing with a RHD on the PP since Salo went to Tampa Bay.

(9) Joe Colborne to two years at $1.25M AAV - big centremen...they seem to be coveted in the draft this year.  Don't know why Treliving casted him aside?

(10) Colton Scevior to two years at $750K AAV - relatively young and can play a bottom six role. 

(11) Dave Perron to two years at $2.5M AAV - possible candidate to play with the Sedins.

(12) Dale Weise to two years at $1.25M AAV - for no other reason than to drive Lucic crazy.  I'd put Weise out on the ice everytime Lucic steps on the ice.

(13) Jamie McGinn to two years at $3.0M AAV - good solid two way heavy forward.

I'd rather not sit and watch Benning dole out big cash and term for players like Eriksson, Lucic, and the likes.

59 minutes ago, HK Phooey said:

I wouldn't be all that torqued up if Benning missed out on the top tier UFAs.  I like the strategy of signing a couple of mid-tier UFAs at a discount and for short term.  I would consider this UFA season a success if Benning is able to pull off 2-3 of the following:

(1) Mikael Boedker to three year at $4.5M AAV - good candidate to play with the Sedins

(2) Eric Staal to one year $2M AAV - apparently he's willing to take a big haircut and is uber-motivated to prove he isn't washed up.  Reminds me of the chatter about Burrows after he fell off the cliff a few seasons ago.

(3) Brett Connolly to one year $900K AAV - IMO, still lots of potential (just gotta stay healthy).

(4) Devante Smith-Pelly to one year at $900K AAV - I like his speed and sturdiness, though he might be redundant with Etem on the depth chart.

(5) Jared Cowan to two years at $1.25M AAV - can't help myself...I like big bruising d-men and we could use more of these even with Tryamkin, Gudbranson and Pedan in the line up.

(6) Patrick Wiercioch to two years at $1.25M AAV - another big d-man, though he's not all that physical.

(7) Brandon Pirri to two years at $750K - goal scorer who could be a cheap option to play with the Sedins.

(8) Justin Schultz to two years at $1.0M AAV - say what you want about this kid, but the Canucks still are missing a PP-QB.  You know, the role that Willie tried to get Yannick Weber to play a couple of seasons ago?  Honestly think that he with the Sedins would make for a deadly power play.  Sedins could use a player to act as a fourth forward, the way they are able to control the puck.  Schultz could be that guy.  Plus, the Sedins have missed playing with a RHD on the PP since Salo went to Tampa Bay.

(9) Joe Colborne to two years at $1.25M AAV - big centremen...they seem to be coveted in the draft this year.  Don't know why Treliving casted him aside?

(10) Colton Scevior to two years at $750K AAV - relatively young and can play a bottom six role. 

(11) Dave Perron to two years at $2.5M AAV - possible candidate to play with the Sedins.

(12) Dale Weise to two years at $1.25M AAV - for no other reason than to drive Lucic crazy.  I'd put Weise out on the ice everytime Lucic steps on the ice.

(13) Jamie McGinn to two years at $3.0M AAV - good solid two way heavy forward.

I'd rather not sit and watch Benning dole out big cash and term for players like Eriksson, Lucic, and the likes.

Connolly, Smith-Pelly (strange NJ would let him walk considering he gelled so well late in the season), and Colborne would be fine with me. 

12 hours ago, HK Phooey said:

Agree. I'd say forget all the so-called "big name UFAs" like Eriksson, Okposo... all together, especially the ones that is asking for a long term.

I hope Canucks can get some value, some youth on shorter terms.
1.Boedker

2.Colborne

3.Connolly

4.Pirri

5.Beau Bennett(ops, almost forgot this one)

Any 3 out of these 5, I'd be happy.

Archived