The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canada Overwhelmed By 100,000 Chinese Millionaire Immigrants

Salmonberries

30 minutes ago, inane said:

I love people like you

I don't know you well enough to feel the same way, sorry.

30 minutes ago, inane said:

chirp and then when asked to explain or expand you back away into this passive aggressive oh you're so dumb you just don't get it thing. 

If you feel that I implied that you're stupid. that's your perception of the situation. I can't make you feel anything, inane. That's your choice to feel that way. The best course of action and response to your humour me statement was to inform you to do the proper thing, and actually re-read the post, rather than just skimming through it looking for any comment within that could possibly be construed or misconstrued as racist.

You responded to Warhippy's well thought out and thorough statement regarding the reality of the situation, with another PC reactionist statement. Out of his entire statement, all you could focus on was the fact that he stated the fact that the majority, if not the entirety of the millionaires are of Chinese decent. Nothing else.

So, ergo, you missed the point.

12 minutes ago, Realtor Rod said:

You sound a lot like Trump here...

With all due respect.

Nothing I have said sounds remotely like Trump

Read your own comments for a guy who seems more self involved with himself and his business than he does his fellow man and you'll have a FAR better Trump comparison

19 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Some people need to learn the word racism.

It's not a term you can just throw out in every discussion about another culture or race. That's not a healthy way to have a discussion about real issues. It seems like in our ultra PC society we've created, no one's allowed to talk about any other culture but their own, without being deemed a racist. Governments in BC take full advantage of it every time people want to discuss the housing market.

No one's attacking all Chinese people when they say we have a problem with foreign investors from China. Chinese people are ingrained in BC and are responsible for helping make it what it is. That doesn't mean that a portion of these immigrants aren't doing damage to the way of life here though. These people are taking advantage of the system, and driving up property values which is affecting everyone who lives here, including Chinese residents.

People don't get to play the race card in this situation. This isn't whites vs. Asians like some people play it out to be. This is about all people in Vancouver wanting to protect their ability to live and work here without being forced out.

Indeed, the film actually makes clear that the millionaire migrants are hurting traditional Chinese culture in Vancouver and will ultimately kill Chinatown itself. The original Cantonese and Hakka Vancouver Chinese are no fans of this situation.

18 hours ago, Warhippy said:

With all due respect.

Read your own comments for a guy who seems more self involved with himself and his business than he does his fellow man and you'll have a FAR better Trump comparison

3 hours ago, inane said:

To that point then, why bring up their nationality at all? If it's just rich people skirting or using the laws to their advantage, what does their nationality matter? 

Why?

Because that's who and what they are.

When determining WHERE the money is coming from.  WHO is buying.  WHERE they live.  What business if any they have in Canada these are ESSENTIAL boxes that need to be checked off.

And the majority check those boxes as being Chinese, followed by Asian followed by Arabian/UAE

Rich people here skirt the laws all the time, but when they get caught they face canadian justice.  These individuals based on their wealth and nationality, simply go home.

Again, their nationality matters when the numbers dictate that they matter.  And the numbers indicate strongly that it IS in fact Chinese/Asian investment buyers causing a lot of the cold bed issues.

Don't like it, call them Fraggles then, it won't change their country of origin or their lack of regard for canadian tax laws and their willingness to simply avoid paying our taxes or renting out their empty investments.

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

But Realtor Rod isn't going to turn down or insult his golden calf as long as it keeps on feeding him. His one word answer is indicative of the PC movement.

Not much there, but always willing to finger point and call out.

You don't know me

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

With all due respect.

I don't fault Rod for his profession but his staunch stance against doing something about this is concerning. 

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I don't fault Rod for his profession but his staunch stance against doing something about this is concerning. 

What is my stance? Show me where I said do nothing?

What I have said is this is just the government cashing in. If they really wanted to fix the perceived problem of foreign investing, turn it off, 100%. 

Or, apply their rules to all. Like the shadow flipping not applying to condo developers. If you think they have your best interest in mind, give your head a shake. They get PPT on every transaction that happens. People are so bloody gullible.

1 minute ago, Salmonberries said:

Indeed, the film actually makes clear that the millionaire migrants are hurting traditional Chinese culture in Vancouver and will ultimately kill Chinatown itself. The original Cantonese and Hakka Vancouver Chinese are no fans of this situation.

Bingo.

I have spent a lot of my years along the west coast.  Seattle, Vancouver, Victoria, San Francisco when I lived there.  They by and large assimilated to their new culture.  Raised kids, adopted the new ways but kept and keep their own heritage strongly about them.

This new wave over the last 20+ years does not.  Many multi generational asian cultures are not thrilled with it, they see it as the same way we do.  A loss of identity and culture.  Move in, knock down a building with a rich history to the community put up a square box leave it empty profit off of the resale.

20 years ago walking through Richmond you saw Asian/English everywhere.  Walk through it now as a Canadian (white person or other ethnicity) and you'd be lucky to be treated any better than Central Quebecois do simple anglo's

It goes soooo much further than money; but people always vote with and pay more attention to their wallets than anything else.

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

But Realtor Rod isn't going to turn down or insult his golden calf as long as it keeps on feeding him. His one word answer is indicative of the PC movement.

Not much there, but always willing to finger point and call out.

Ya that last part is what pisses me off, fortunately enough for me Rod hasn't come across like that, at least in the discussions him and I have had on various topics.

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Why?

Because that's who and what they are.

When determining WHERE the money is coming from.  WHO is buying.  WHERE they live.  What business if any they have in Canada these are ESSENTIAL boxes that need to be checked off.

And the majority check those boxes as being Chinese, followed by Asian followed by Arabian/UAE

Rich people here skirt the laws all the time, but when they get caught they face canadian justice.  These individuals based on their wealth and nationality, simply go home.

Again, their nationality matters when the numbers dictate that they matter.  And the numbers indicate strongly that it IS in fact Chinese/Asian investment buyers causing a lot of the cold bed issues.

Don't like it, call them Fraggles then, it won't change their country of origin or their lack of regard for canadian tax laws and their willingness to simply avoid paying our taxes or renting out their empty investments.

Listen pal, as long as you don't crticize Doozers and Gorgs, I'm okay with it.

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I don't fault him either.  I actually admire @Realtor Rod

He has stones the size of boulders and is well versed and intelligent and provides a near genius counter point to what is otherwise a one sided argument.

But the circuitous argument only goes so far before new information comes up and you lose your talking point which is what is happening as more and more studies are pushed in to this.

Dig Rod, love his arguments but damn...

14 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I don't fault him either.  I actually admire @Realtor Rod

He has stones the size of boulders and is well versed and intelligent and provides a near genius counter point to what is otherwise a one sided argument.

But the circuitous argument only goes so far before new information comes up and you lose your talking point which is what is happening as more and more studies are pushed in to this.

Dig Rod, love his arguments but damn...

Kudos, but I have never said there was not a problem. I addressed some of it a few posts ago. I just don't understand why they spend tax payers money in February to have an independent study done and not wait for the results. Then, they follow it up by taxing empty houses, followed by shadow flipping rules that apply to most but not condo developers, then they take away RECBC authority to self govern saying they didn't do a good enough job, when we pushed for higher penalties for years while self governed but the government said no. And finally, the Foreign Investor Tax, where they throw this tax on in 2 weeks notice (because they saw a lot of deals completing in August) for an opportunity to rake in 1.5 billion dollars without any mention of where the money will go. 

To top that off, it hasn't cooled the market. I am presenting offers tonight (where there are at least 5 so far) and the property is likely going to sell for $50,000 above list price on an already over priced listing. This happened in 2006 - 2008, it was supply and demand. Remember, when prices go up I have to pay them as well. I don't like it at all. 

Raise interest rates. You want to watch a market come crashing back to earth. Go to 5%. There will be a ton of deals via the foreclosure route. 

Archived