The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

North Korea 'feeding workers crystal meth' to speed up skyscraper project

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

I don't even know what to think when I saw this, but it is North Korea doesn't surprise me. 

North Korean workers are being given a methamphetamine-based drug in the hope it will speed up a major construction project, according to reports. 

Project managers in the city's capital of Pyongyang are said to be under so much pressure to finish the job on time that they have resorted to openly providing builders with the drug. 

Nicknamed "ice," it is a form of the powerful stimulant methamphetamine, which is also known as crystal meth. 

“Project managers are now openly providing drugs to construction workers so that they will work faster,” a construction source in Pyongyang told Radio Free Asia.

"[They] are undergoing terrible sufferings in their work."

North Korea has been producing methamphetamine to increase its funds since the 1970s.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/10/north-korea-feeding-workers-crystal-meth-to-speed-up-skyscraper/

4 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I don't even know what to think when I saw this, but it is North Korea doesn't surprise me. 

North Korean workers are being given a methamphetamine-based drug in the hope it will speed up a major construction project, according to reports. 

Project managers in the city's capital of Pyongyang are said to be under so much pressure to finish the job on time that they have resorted to openly providing builders with the drug. 

Nicknamed "ice," it is a form of the powerful stimulant methamphetamine, which is also known as crystal meth. 

“Project managers are now openly providing drugs to construction workers so that they will work faster,” a construction source in Pyongyang told Radio Free Asia.

"[They] are undergoing terrible sufferings in their work."

North Korea has been producing methamphetamine to increase its funds since the 1970s.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/10/north-korea-feeding-workers-crystal-meth-to-speed-up-skyscraper/

I kind of doubt this as getting things done on time doesn't seem to be that big a deal in the DPRK.

The Ryugyong Hotel (Chosŏn'gŭl류경려관; sometimes anglicised as Ryu-Gyong Hotel or Yu-Kyung Hotel)[4] is an unfinished 105-story pyramid-shaped skyscraper in Pyongyang, North Korea. Its name ("capital of willows") is also one of the historical names for Pyongyang.[5] The building is also known as the 105 Building, a reference to its number of floors.[2] The building has been planned as a mixed-use development, which would include a hotel.

Construction began in 1987 but was halted in 1992 as North Korea entered a period of economic crisis after the fall of the Soviet Union. After 1992 the building stood topped out, but without any windows or interior fittings. In 2008 construction resumed, and the exterior was completed in 2011. It was planned to open the hotel in 2012, the centenary of Kim Il-sung's birth, but this did not happen. A partial opening was announced for 2013, but this was also cancelled.[6] As of 2016, the building remains unopened.

Ryugyong Hotel - August 27, 2011 (Cropped).jpg

29 years after construction started it's still unfinished. Maybe they can get it open before the Canucks win a Stanley Cup.

27 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

I kind of doubt this as getting things done on time doesn't seem to be that big a deal in the DPRK.

The Ryugyong Hotel (Chosŏn'gŭl류경려관; sometimes anglicised as Ryu-Gyong Hotel or Yu-Kyung Hotel)[4] is an unfinished 105-story pyramid-shaped skyscraper in Pyongyang, North Korea. Its name ("capital of willows") is also one of the historical names for Pyongyang.[5] The building is also known as the 105 Building, a reference to its number of floors.[2] The building has been planned as a mixed-use development, which would include a hotel.

Construction began in 1987 but was halted in 1992 as North Korea entered a period of economic crisis after the fall of the Soviet Union. After 1992 the building stood topped out, but without any windows or interior fittings. In 2008 construction resumed, and the exterior was completed in 2011. It was planned to open the hotel in 2012, the centenary of Kim Il-sung's birth, but this did not happen. A partial opening was announced for 2013, but this was also cancelled.[6] As of 2016, the building remains unopened.

Ryugyong Hotel - August 27, 2011 (Cropped).jpg

29 years after construction started it's still unfinished. Maybe they can get it open before the Canucks win a Stanley Cup.

They are almost finished it now !!! At least the outside looks finished now! Just 10 more years! 

Archived