The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How do you envision our Defense next season?

Blue_Jays_Canucks

9 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

So here's the thing?

I jumped for joy & did a jig when we drafted Juolevi.  And I was shocked, did not expect, but was impressed and applauded when we acquired Gudbranson.  Add to it that Tryamkin & in particular Hutton started arriving last year. We're finally on our way defensively again. 

Oh, that thing?

We're on our way. Not there yet. 

Gudbranson is a dead set boost. Oh, I hated being pushed around and physically not capable last year.  We were so small. And I never (see threads LY), ever bought that Weber and Bartkowski were going to get to the puck, and get it out before physics played their part. Tryamkin was such a boost of possibility. And AG is already solid! This is what is so exciting. Particularly if Edler stays healthy. Edler is big. Gudbranson and Tryamkin are really, I mean really big. Pedan is lurking. Brisbois is also down the track.  And with NHL speed, and skills, all of them. Some of those skills still need to be polished, and brought to NHL decision making speed. They need complimentary guys to do slick work with the puck. But this next statement could not be said for a long time. We are finally a fully capable physical unit in size and speed! Here, here Mr Benning!

But It wont make us substantially better yet. Just not a pushover. Just we wont have to take abuse while battling.

Hutton also brought something badly needed. Creativity with the puck.  And he was better than advertised in all regards. It was that, not calling it agility, calling it dexterity with the puck. Guys came to check him. And he could lean the other way while maintaining control. And make checkers miss. Sometimes while then pushing up ice. Or past forwards at the line in the offensive end. Sometimes with his head up making a pass to start a positive play. Weber had a shot. But could not beat a defender if his life depended on it. Bartkowski flat out coughed up the puck when asked to handle it. We have (and have had) some guys who can pass the puck. Hamhuis, Salo, Edler. And shoot. Garrison, Edler, Weber. Hutton is the first  and only guy since Ehrhoff who regularly challenges, and breaks guys down 1 on 1.

So badly needed! But not enough unless he becomes elite.

Saying all of that; Hutton is not better than Hamhuis. Yet...  He was encouraging defensively for a rookie. But had not learned the skills Hamhuis and Tanev have for closing out angles. Tracking pucks. Using his stick and his body to reject opponents zone attempts. For anticipating plays and cutting them off. Nor is Tryamkin better. As much as we just as BADLY needed his size.  And Hutton, who we need with the puck, is developing. So I understand letting Hammer go. Hutton might, I believe he will be capable at minimum, or might not become great  with the puck? For example he did not dazzle as Ghotisbehere or Klingberg have.  He might? But he also might just be effective. Not an all star who overwhelmingly drives play and cannot be stopped.  Hutton will both have to become better defensively, shore up the chess side playing with out the puck that also elevates possession. Hutton, or someone else will also have to become a true weapon with the , sizzling with the puck, before we are truly better.

The good news? Hutton could be that guy. And we have other candidates. No longer is Corrado our best D prospect. Hutton is just the surest one already here. Juolevi looks to already have a refined defensive game (just needs some meat on his bones). Plus size, reach, outstanding balance (which creates that dexterity Hutton has, hint), excellent puck skills, vision and composure.  He looks to be Hamhuis, and Hutton combined in a 6'3'' body with world class speed. Subban, Stecher and Larsen all have an ability to dangle and defeat guys 1 on 1 as well. They have dynamic agility, just questions regarding where they are at with the balance of development. They need to learn some refinements in their chess game. Any, or all could break out? With the right coaching and support. With many candidates, Htton mostly here, plus blue chip Juolevi, we should have at least two or three excellent puck handlers on the way.

If Larsen is ready to give us a second "Hutton?" With our improved speed, size and physical play (Tram, Guddy) we will surely be better. Enough to be a strong defensive team?

We will probably have to wait till we have multiple Hutton's. Or one, Subban looks most dangerous (and has the biggest questions) will have to jump on scene as an all star offensive weapon.  And wait till the extremely slick & talented Juolevi arrives next year, or becomes truly effective in 2018/19.   There is actually a lot coming down the pipeline to help Hutton and make us better with the puck! That's what we need...

I'm as excited as everybody. Just want to temper everyone's expectations till guys have a chance to develop with & without the puck!

World class post. 

Slow clap from this poster. 

EW

On ‎24‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 1:08 AM, Adamth said:

Tanev- Gudbrandson  /    Hutton- Edler  /   - Biega - Tryamkin  = want to see this 

Conditioning and growth:  Penden/ Larson / Sbisa

Why would we play our two right handed D together? One out of position...

And one of Edler or Hutton out of position?

On ‎24‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 5:11 AM, J.R. said:

*Technically Tanev is the PMD on that pair. Edler is a minute eating 2-way D with some offense and size. 

Yup. 

Tanev is certainly the guy who tracks down the puck. And is the first to handle it. Most responsible for getting it out of our zone...

By and large he moves it, passes it, fairly quickly though.  Thje "classic" PMD also carries the puck up ice quite a bit. And is the weapon through whom the puck circulates in the offensive end.  And is also capable of dangling. Maintaining possession under pressure in the offensive end. Making plays. Tanev still just circulates the puck.  He's not a PMD in that sense, as you have noted, at all.

On ‎24‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 6:04 AM, J.R. said:

Tanev's breaks up plays well with his positioning and stick and makes a good first pass/can skate the puck out of the zone (ie: gets the puck moving). He lacks a LOT past centre ice though in his ability to actually create beyond that point.

Edler is miscast commonly on CDC as an 'offensive D' and/or PMD. While he's relatively capable of skating with the puck (particularly for his size), he's a minute eating 2-way D with some offense and size. Not a PMD or 'offensive' D.

He uses his frame and positioning more to break up plays and is good, not great at moving the puck but has far more offensive ability (including a better shot) than Tanev once in the offensive zone (if not at the level of a  true offensive D).

I'm not sure who has called Edler a PMD?  They should not have. You are def correct there. He has one or two famous rushes with the puck over his career. And I know it came from the coach. But I hate that drop pass on our PP. Would prefer a D who could navigate the neutral zone. I guess that's not easy the way centre ice is stacked these days. Edler has just never had the sheer speed & agility of the top puck movers.

I do agree with you. I like the term two way D for Alex. Edler, while he does not really consistently (or ever) slip past guys walking the line? He does protect the puck well. Keeps possession under pressure and moves it to our best possession guys reasonably fluidly. He's a very capable 2knd wheel on the power play blue line. A good passer. With a cannon for a shot when playing with guys capable of opening up the ice slip it back over to him! Currently he's playing a heavier defensive load than in the past. Rather than an offensive role. And we're waiting for Hutton, Larsen and others to establish themselves as set up men on the point for Alex to pound them through.  I believe his offensive numbers will rebound as his teammates develop. He's pretty good offensively even if not a true puck mover.

As long as he stays healthy. His numbers, and overall play, dipped a few years ago when he struggled with his back.

3 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I'm not sure who has called Edler a PMD?  .

And who was our last true PMD, Ehrhoff?

And where did that get us...Game 7 of the SCF

Hutton has that potential to be our next true PMD and with a rock solid partner like Guddy or Tanev that will just fast track his progress. Here's hoping that all of the stars align this year!

Archived