The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How do you envision our Defense next season?

Blue_Jays_Canucks

3 minutes ago, GettinGuddyWithIt said:

Sbisa-Orr

Kaberle-Tyutin

Gaudreau-Robidas

iono why but I absolutely loled at that... So much awesome randomness. 

I say 

Keith Carney - Kelly Hrudey

John Garret - Alex Edler 

Colorado Sell Out Joe - Sopel 

(just wanted a reason to vent my dislike for that guy that played for avalench, wore 19... Claims to be from burnaby...) 

In all seriousness it's really tough to predict the pairs... Especially with question marks around tryamkin Pedan and Larsen. Haven't seen them play enough... 

Edler Tanev 

Luca Guddy 

Hutt  ???? 

I wouldn't be against splitting edler and Tanev, one to Hutton's pair and then let the other guys fight out for the top spot with edler. There's potential for any of the 3 to make a good pair with edler 

I suggest that Subban does really well in Utica, leading the team in points through the first 15-20 games. At that point, someone will be injured on our D and he will be brought up. While with the Canucks, he'll sit in the pressbox for 3 games, then finally get put in for 1 game with limited minutes. He'll get one assist but finish -1 in the game and will be sent back down to Utica for the remainder of the year.

I envision it as follows:

1st Paring - This will almost certainly be Edler and Tanev. They are proven and generally reliable. The only way they could be beaten here is if the 2nd paring up next blows it out of the water.

2nd Paring - This will likely be Gudbranson and Hutton. While this paring is fairly certain, I wouldn't be surprised if things change up a bit with it. Hutton could have a sophomore slump and Gudbranson could disappoint. That said, Hutton could explode to a 40-point d-man and Gudbranson could prove to be a very reliable defenseman who can hit well and often. In that case, they may even become the 1st paring if they really improve drastically.

3rd Paring and Beyond - This is where it's anyone's best guess. We have many guys trying to make the team here. Sbisa is the most likely one to make it just simply due to his hitting ability and his NHL experience. After him, Tryamkin is probably the most likely, simply due to the clause in his contract about not going back to the AHL, but the KHL if he wants. That said, we have guys like Stetcher, Juolevi, Subban, and Pedan who are all pushing to make the team. Of those, I'd say Pedan has the best chance, as he is the most experienced. Subban is the biggest wildcard as he has the potential to either be a huge boom or bust type. That said, Pedan will likely be the 7th guy. The team may chose a more reliable guy as the 8th guy for a call up in case of injury (such as Fedun), but I'd like to see Subban given a shot in that case.

EDIT; Completely forgot about Larsen. Seems that while our top-end defense is weak, the depth is strong. Larsen is probably the guy who's most likely to be the #7 guy over Pedan probably given his higher potential. Pedan will likely be the #8 guy in case of a call up. 

EDIT #2: Also forgot about Biega. Man we have a logjam in the back end of our D. My guess is he'll be one who suffers in this logjam and gets sent back to the AHL in favour of guys with more potential like Larsen and Pedan.

1 hour ago, DeltaSwede said:

Sbisa gets so much hate around here. In a 5/6 role he is a good asset. You should have notice how much he was missed from the line up when he was out injured. 

Yeah, a couple of years ago, he was a disaster, but he improved quite a bit last year. Some people blindly keep assuming that he's just as terrible as he was two years ago though without really analysing his play.

5 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Demote Sbisa.

No one will touch that contract.

Edler ..Tanev

Hutton ..Gudbranson

Tryamkin/Pedan..Larsen/Biega

are you smoking something??? Sbisa's contract is what he deserves and he played better then most D from xmas break on and a main reason hamhuis never came back and you want him in the minors???

Elder, Tanev, Hutton and Guds. Hutton may slump, but other than a blockbuster trade, the top 4 are set.

Sbisa has to fight for his job. Trymakin served notice and the intense huge Russian is on a mission to prove that he belongs in NHL.  

Larsen brings a completely different skill set that the club needs badly.  IMO if he can play, he will get the bottom pairing right side. 

Both Larsen and Trymakin are lost to the KHL if they don't make the club. Look to see them on the roster in Oct. 

Pedan is the 7/8 guy who can also play 4th line minutes. A project guy the can skate, hit and fight. Whether he can process the game at this level is his question mark... But many say the same about Sbisa.  

Biega is a depth guy bound for waivers and Utica.  Deserves his 1 way deal.  

Unless Edler forgets how to train this off season, Sbisa is on the hot seat. Good. He has ability, but will be pressured to stay in the lineup. It will be good for Sbisa and his biggest challenger, Trymakin.  

The club will keep 8 d this year... IMO. Pedan skated last year on the 4th line, I see no reason too risk him on waivers this year. 

EW

To me, it is a no-brainer:

Assuming nothing dramatic happens like someone gets injured in camp or there is a ridiculous standout otherwise, it is likely to be:

Tanev

Edler

Gudbranson

Hutton

Sbisa - For all the hate he gets, he's a solid bottom pairing guy.

Tryamkin - To me, Tryamkin is a lock to play on our team as long as he has improved his conditioning in the offseason.  Even Gudbranson can't hit even close to how Tryamkin can, and Tryamkin showed he isn't really a liability out there, thanks to his long reach.

Larsen - The one question mark for me.  If he looks great, then I imagine he could force a Sbisa or Edler trade, but I don't believe he starts with the big team.

All the guys like Stecher, Juolevi, Subban, etc all need at least a year playing in Utica, regardless of how good they look at camp.  I can see any standouts getting their 9 game tryout at some point, but that's about it.

Overall, this is a far stronger defense than last year in all respects.  We have WAY more physicality.  We have more scoring now that Edler is healthy and Larsen has the potential to put up points.  Defensively I am not sure we are much better off than last year, with the exception of being healthy.

10 hours ago, Blue_Jays_Canucks said:

Here's my personal opinion, maybe some of you have a different one?

Locks:

Edler 

Hutton

Gudbrandson 

Sbisa

Tanev

Larsen

We're left with 3 players battling for the 7th  spot:

Biega

Tryamkin

Pedan

Likely defense for next year:

Edler- Tanev

Hutton- Gudbrandson

Sbisa- Larsen

Tryamkin

Biega

Between these 3, I would say Pedan is most likely to start in the AHL. But I think he will be the first call up after an injury. Tryamkin for the 7th and Biega as our 8th D? 

Random thought- Will this cause Tryamkin to go back to Russia? 

Thoughts? Anyone I've missed? 

Tanev- Gudbrandson  /    Hutton- Edler  /   - Biega - Tryamkin  = want to see this 

Conditioning and growth:  Penden/ Larson / Sbisa

Archived