The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

With all the analytics is it about time for a PK stat?[Discussion}

Hairy Kneel

That's an interesting one. You would need a few different numbers, unless you were exceptionally clever and put together a formula that worked. Short Handed Goals Against per 60 is a good start, but i don't believe it is currently officially tracked anywhere. Someone would have to manually track, which is a massive time sink.  You would also probably need a way to adjust for 5v3's somehow. 

Shots allowed and high danger chances allowed would be good. It would have to be per 60, instead of per penalty. Because allowing 1 shot and getting scored on 5 seconds in isn't more favourable than allowing 4 shots over the course of a killed penalty.

I don't necessarily hold with using number of shots blocks during the penalty. I don't think it is indicative of a good penalty killer per say; It's more of a systems thing. It will rely on whether they are instructed to let the goalie make an unobstructed save or to clutter up the lanes. 

3 hours ago, Sygvard said:

That's an interesting one. You would need a few different numbers, unless you were exceptionally clever and put together a formula that worked. Short Handed Goals Against per 60 is a good start, but i don't believe it is currently officially tracked anywhere. Someone would have to manually track, which is a massive time sink.  You would also probably need a way to adjust for 5v3's somehow. 

Shots allowed and high danger chances allowed would be good. It would have to be per 60, instead of per penalty. Because allowing 1 shot and getting scored on 5 seconds in isn't more favourable than allowing 4 shots over the course of a killed penalty.

I don't necessarily hold with using number of shots blocks during the penalty. I don't think it is indicative of a good penalty killer per say; It's more of a systems thing. It will rely on whether they are instructed to let the goalie make an unobstructed save or to clutter up the lanes. 

Yes the only basic stat is if a team goes 1 for 5 or whatever. But total ice time short handed killing a penalty is different than 5 on 5. 

Maybe the + and minus would be differentiated from 5 on 5.

Coincidental minors wouldn't count as power plays.

On 18/11/2016 at 9:14 AM, Hairy Kneel said:

I want to know who are the best penalty killers for our team and around the league.

Total ice time, goals allowed shots allowed, shots blocked.

With our strong contingent of corsi experts lets figure out how to break down the best PK statistics.

Here is an interesting one on that note:

More fun with Canucks numbers: Loui Eriksson is fourth-best in the entire league for CA60 at 4v5. (Minimum 20 minutes played)

If you ever wondered if Eriksson was good on the PK, there is some shot denial right there. 

11 hours ago, Sygvard said:

Here is an interesting one on that note:

More fun with Canucks numbers: Loui Eriksson is fourth-best in the entire league for CA60 at 4v5. (Minimum 20 minutes played)

If you ever wondered if Eriksson was good on the PK, there is some shot denial right there. 

Sweet!This makes me even more curious about a separate stat for the pk. I want to see where Sutter Bo and Burrows land as well as each defenseman.

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Whats Try's CA60 at 4v5 compared to the others?

This is too fast becoming like baseball, where it is over stats.  Did you guys know that on Wednesday night games, in the Pacific time zone, in the second period, between 8:15 and 8:35, when short handed, Burrows has the best PK numbers in the league?  :lol:

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

This is too fast becoming like baseball, where it is over stats.  Did you guys know that on Wednesday night games, in the Pacific time zone, in the second period, between 8:15 and 8:35, when short handed, Burrows has the best PK numbers in the league?  :lol:

I've heard Burr is our best pk there should be real numbers to back it up 

4 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Or who takes the most penaties

ie who are the penalty leaders

Ok. That one DEFINITELY exists. You can just go look that up on the official NHL site. I mean, most of these stats exist in different forums. But PIMS leaders and penalty differential are right on the main site. :P 

Archived