The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

President Linden on Team 1040 Dec 21

AlwaysACanuckFan

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I have to keep reminding posters here that Eriksson gets 8 million per year for 2 years and each year he has an untradeable 7 million dollar signing bonus. That takes him to 34 years old then he gets one year at 7 million with a 6 million signing bonus, then 5 million with a 4 million signing bonus.

The signing bonuses alone make this an untradeable contract.

This and next year he makes him the 28th highest paid player in the league, tight up there with Tarasenko, Doughty, Backstrom, Carter, higher than the Sedins, Thorton, Nash, while his point totals have him 185 to 192 in league scoring. Around $227,643.00 per point.

And Toews is getting 13.8M the first three years of his deal.

The signing bonus is included in the salary listed for each year, it's just paid up front. All bonuses counts towards the cap hit and is thus already in that $6m per year cap hit. All it means is he got $7m up front this year with $1m in salary over the course of the season. The structure of Erikssons deal could make it easier to move him later in the deal if needed. Higher cap hit, lower salary. Signing bonus is payable on the anniversary date of the deal, July 1st. With two years left we pay the signing bonus and then trade him in the summer. The new team get a $6m cap hit for each the remaing two seasons ($12m cap over two years) but only pays $5m in salary (that's including the year 6 bonus) over those two seasons because we paid the season 5 bonus prior to moving him. One thing our owner hasn't worried about is spending money.

When you compare deals you also have to consider when the deal was made and if the player was RFA or UFA. Price goes up as cap goes up. UFA's are free to sign anywhere and thus have more negotiating power. A deal signed just two years ago would very likely cost more today. Some things I don't think you are considering.

On 12/22/2016 at 2:43 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

How is it mediocrity? Linden spells it out, we're in a market that used to winning, and expects to win. This isn't going to happen overnight. 

Fans ARE impatient, they want everything to happen now. We drafted 5th overall last year, The 23rd overall is Boeser. We got Jake at 6th, and Bo at 9th. 

As good as the team gets it would probably still get a top 10 pick, most likely a top 5 but with the lottery who knows? 

As long as we get good players regardless of position in the draft that's what important. 

Look at Colorado, Winnipeg, Calgary, Florida, all teams that drafted in the top 10 and went to the playoffs then fell back down. Are they rebuilding? Are they wallowing in mediocrity? In the draft lottery world there's no guarantee you'll get #1. So some of it is timing, and luck. Would Toronto be happy to have won the draft lottery with Matthews, or McDavid? The owners aren't perfect, far from it. JB and TL are doing the best they can. If some of these picks start turning into duds, ok now you have a point. 

We can't wave a magic wand and get amazing picks for our players when they are struggling. It's hard to make trades in the first place. Showing faith in Willie shows that management is more patient than even I am. But I get it, at this time of year, what he has to work with, and the injuries. I still wouldn't be surprised if he's gone sooner rather than later. 

And those stupid sports DJs on 1040 had the gall to doubt that this market would turn their backs on a team that was "rebuilding". Why don't we look at the difference between, say Toronto, and Vancouver in the process of rebuilding. During the last decade plus (2006-2016), Toronto had 6 picks in the top 10 picks of the draft ( #'s 5,7,5,8,4 and #1); Vancouver had 4 picks (#'s 10,9,6 and 5); and, of course, Toronto did get a top #1 pick in Matthews! I wonder where they would be without that stroke of luck? During that time, Toronto made the playoffs just once. Vancouver made the playoffs 8 out of 11 times. Not only has Toronto had a huge advantage in draft position during that time, but they gave their fans nothing but grief! And, by the way, when a club has 4 top 5 picks in nine years, you would hope that they would be quite a bit further along the rebuild process than a team that has had only one top 5 pick during the past 17 years! The reason I mention this particular stat comparison is because when it comes to the draft the top 5 picks are usually way more talented than picks 5-10. Those are the picks that are pure gold for teams. Now, do we want to look at say, Edmonton, for another comparison? 

On Wednesday, December 21, 2016 at 10:30 PM, arowind said:

So in other word were going no where and staying the course

And we have to love it coz Pacifist Trevor is encouraged by this group.

Just wanna throw up in my mouth whenever I hear that.

This team isn't far off from a complete tire fire.

Traded away so many 2nd/3rd on gambles that NEVER worked out and once again we are STILL in Gillis/Nonis area.

Had Benning just put McCann and Virtanen back in junior last year then no if's,  ands or buts go straight to Utica for development.

Not wasted 2nd picks on Vey, Baertschi, Gudbranson.....that's THREE 2nds....yikes

There's getting picks like Raddysh, Novak and other great options to put in the pipeline.

Now they want to insist on keeping old vets coz they have this wet dream that those vets are going to pull us thru.  More potentially wasted assets

Watching Tkachuk tonite have his way with our team in only his rookie year also makes me cringe

Imagine if since Benning took over he wouldve selected Larkin, Boeser AND Tkachuk?  Size, speed and balls

There's your #1 line that would've replaced Sedins

On ‎22‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 11:10 AM, chickenman92 said:

Benning will not gamble a pick on a game changer...he only takes solid, third-line guys, with meat and potatoes to their game.  

Hmm, not allowed to give you feedback?? Well it must be because you are absolutely bang on right!

33 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

And we have to love it coz Pacifist Trevor is encouraged by this group.

Just wanna throw up in my mouth whenever I hear that.

This team isn't far off from a complete tire fire.

Traded away so many 2nd/3rd on gambles that NEVER worked out and once again we are STILL in Gillis/Nonis area.

Had Benning just put McCann and Virtanen back in junior last year then no if's,  ands or buts go straight to Utica for development.

Not wasted 2nd picks on Vey, Baertschi, Gudbranson.....that's THREE 2nds....yikes

There's getting picks like Raddysh, Novak and other great options to put in the pipeline.

Now they want to insist on keeping old vets coz they have this wet dream that those vets are going to pull us thru.  More potentially wasted assets

Watching Tkachuk tonite have his way with our team in only his rookie year also makes me cringe

Imagine if since Benning took over he wouldve selected Larkin, Boeser AND Tkachuk?  Size, speed and balls

There's your #1 line that would've replaced Sedins

Merry Christmas 

good post

16 hours ago, Baggins said:

And Toews is getting 13.8M the first three years of his deal.

The signing bonus is included in the salary listed for each year, it's just paid up front. All bonuses counts towards the cap hit and is thus already in that $6m per year cap hit. All it means is he got $7m up front this year with $1m in salary over the course of the season. The structure of Erikssons deal could make it easier to move him later in the deal if needed. Higher cap hit, lower salary. Signing bonus is payable on the anniversary date of the deal, July 1st. With two years left we pay the signing bonus and then trade him in the summer. The new team get a $6m cap hit for each the remaing two seasons ($12m cap over two years) but only pays $5m in salary (that's including the year 6 bonus) over those two seasons because we paid the season 5 bonus prior to moving him. One thing our owner hasn't worried about is spending money.

When you compare deals you also have to consider when the deal was made and if the player was RFA or UFA. Price goes up as cap goes up. UFA's are free to sign anywhere and thus have more negotiating power. A deal signed just two years ago would very likely cost more today. Some things I don't think you are considering.

One is a Stanley cup champion, the other is not, one is a Selke winner, the other is not, one is the captain of his team, the other is not.

The one thing I do take into consideration is the impact the player makes on the team. For the 15 points the player just signed at 32 years old for another 5 years of diminishing skill, could have been replaced with a much cheaper and more impactful younger player for a lot less money without a NMC who could have been included in a trade if the price was right.

BUT

Instead the team signed an anchor, in more ways than one, to a huge retirement contract that is stuck here for another 4 years and is benefiting the club very little.

I am sure the comparison isn't the point totals as Toews has been injured most of this season.

3 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

One is a Stanley cup champion, the other is not, one is a Selke winner, the other is not, one is the captain of his team, the other is not.

The one thing I do take into consideration is the impact the player makes on the team. For the 15 points the player just signed at 32 years old for another 5 years of diminishing skill, could have been replaced with a much cheaper and more impactful younger player for a lot less money without a NMC who could have been included in a trade if the price was right.

BUT

Instead the team signed an anchor, in more ways than one, to a huge retirement contract that is stuck here for another 4 years and is benefiting the club very little.

I am sure the comparison isn't the point totals as Toews has been injured most of this season.

Was Santa bringing this guy?

8 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Was Santa bringing this guy?

I am sure if they offered 8 mil a year to Okposo or even that little pest Marchand there at least would have been a conversation, but no, as soon as the clock ticked over to midnight the Nucks took themselves out of contention for ANY other FA. Contract was signed July 1.

Archived