The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Rodin | RW/LW

b3.

So when Rodin says this

"I’m taking it one year at a time. I have one year at Brynäs so I’ll finish this season and then I’ll see what I do."

Am I right to think his contract with Byrnas is up after this year? If so, Gillis needs to get him over to the Moose for 2010/2011. Maybe he can even do what Nonis did with Rahimi, have him come over after the completion of the SEL/Allsvenskan season and join the Moose late.

• 2 weeks later...

The Canucks were slated to have three prospects playing at the World Juniors, but with Cody Hodgson on the shelf unable to perform for Team Canada, Schroeder and Swedish forward Anton Rodin will hold down the fort.

Rodin, the 53rd overall selection from the 2009 draft and Vancouver's highest European pick since picking Daniel and Henrik Sedin second and third overall in 1999, is a shoo-in to crack the Swedish line-up, especially with his resume boasting a mountain of international experience. He was twice named MVP at the Five Nations Tournament and he exceeded expectations at the U20 National Team tournament where he was named to the all-Star team.

If given the opportunity to let his skills do the talking, Gagner feels Rodin will be a major part of any success Sweden has at the World Juniors.

"He's going to get a chance to play sometime in the tournament and I don't know if he's going to start on the second line or if he'll be on the fourth line, that's up to him," said Gagner.

"With the puck he's very dynamic, he's got a lot of lateral skill, one-on-one he's tough to contain because he shifts so quickly. He can be very dangerous."

Rodin proved just that during a three-game mini-tour in November where Team Sweden faced off against three teams from the CIS. The swift winger had six points in only three games, despite coming off the bench as the 13th forward.

Making the best of that situation has thrust Rodin into the limelight for Team Sweden and chances are good he'll remain there during the World Juniors.

Edited by playboi19

So I watched the game (SWE vs CAN)

My first time watching Rodin live

Rodin didnt really play much, maybe 5-7 shifts all game. However, I was very impressed. The guy is fast... and just oozes skill. The puck seemed to follow him around when he was out there. I thought he definatley earned his assist with some slick moves and tenacity. Not afraid to hit either - he doesnt really try to nail guys, but he doesnt stop short or swing away like many Swedes tend to do. No question in my mind though, this kid is gonna be a very good player for us in the future.

Cormier elbowed Rodin so hard. I think it was dirty by far. But this is where Canucks Bias comes in from nucks fans.

What idiotic statement this is. One minute you say Cormier elbowed Rodin so hard and in the next sentence your not sure if it was dirty. What are you, a WWE fan, a Flamer or Clueless?

imo can't even call the cormier elbow a hit. he drilled him in the head way behind the play as they were going to the bench. there is no place for that in hockey, in the nhl he'd be looking at 3-5 games for that. very interested in seeing what the iihf does. they suspend guys for clean hits, what do you get for the dirty ones.

What idiotic statement this is. One minute you say Cormier elbowed Rodin so hard and in the next sentence your not sure if it was dirty. What are you, a WWE fan, a Flamer or Clueless?

His statement is a little convoluted, but I think he's right. If Cormier was a Canucks' prospect I don't think anyone here would say it was dirty. We've had some of the dirtiest players in the NHL on our team in years past but Canucks' fans loved them (Bertuzzi, Cooke, Ruutu, Burrows).

Anyway, I thought it was a cheapshot. But what was up with Team Sweden not shaking hands and then skipping the post-game ceremony? lol. I thought Swedes were more sportsmanlike than Canadians? guess not.