The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposal: Van - NYR

To NYR: Jannik Hansen, Jake Virtanen

To Van: Pavel Buchnevic, 2017 conditional 3rd (becomes 2nd if Rangers make the playoffs)

The expansion draft poses a few problems for Vancouver,  with players like  baertschi, granlund and hansen potentially being exposed. I know Hansen doesnt want to move but its better for his sake and ours if he does, instead of spending his career in rebuilding teams like Vegas and Vancouver, he gets a shot with an eastern team in a wildcard spot. With Hansens team-friendly cap hit of 2mil US/year and Pavels 925,000 coming our way the cap balances out. NY only has 5  movement clauses taking up protection, so to deal with fitting hansen under protection wont be impossible either.

Jake Virtanen, however promising is turning into a liability more than a prospect. He shows up out of shape to training camp, and has trouble producing even at the AHL level. However hes only 20 and perhaps NY take a chance on him

Pavel Buchnevic is a year older than Jake, has 14 points in 20 NHL games this season and is expsansion exempt. A proven, young winger with good size (6,2") and has great offensive instincts

Source:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=158906

I have to say, I honestly can't see them being too enthusiastic about turning a good young proven prospect (currently doing very well for them), for a 30 year old player with lower scoring numbers and a "liability" prospect not currently scoring in the AHL. Especially if they also need to throw in a  pick for that pleasure.  

Archived