The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Provincial Election Thread

JM_

CDC Votes!  

216 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

BC Hydro power expansion projections is like asking a fox to predict  how many chickens a fox should be allowed to  babysit....

or you know, they actually are the people that know what they're doing vs. some hack at the Tyee? 

7 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Follow the money . Connect the dots.

It is time in BC that we had both honesty and integrity in our provincial politics. 

Seems like CC and the BC Liberals are now being recognized by others for their inaction..

http://www.vancouversun.com/toronto+vancouver+housing+markets+threaten+canada+rapid+economic+growth+oecd/13432274/story.html

Toronto and Vancouver housing markets threaten Canada’s rapid economic growth, OECD says

key words here you seem to ignore "Toronto AND Vancouver" - can you follow the dots all the way to Toronto?

I have to say that I don't know what all the back and forth is about.

By all appearances, the NDP/Green coalition will go ahead and will form the next government. Then we'll see if they have the guts to cancel a program that Hydro has already sunk a lot of money into and we'll see if housing prices in the lower mainland go down significantly enough for the younger generation to afford to buy.

I'm guessing that neither of those things will happen, so we may have to wait and see what else they've got.

11 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Trust Dr.  Weaver more than the CEO of Hydro  -  who did she used to work for...

My opinion ....  is we are borrowing massive debt for mega projects we don't need..  

Thats fine, but don't forget Weaver has his own motivations. He's already capitulated on major parts of his platform though so I'd be careful. 

So what about who the CEO worked for? are you really suggesting that anyone that worked with or for Clark is a bad person?

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

By all appearances, the NDP/Green coalition will go ahead and will form the next government. Then we'll see if they have the guts to cancel a program that Hydro has already sunk a lot of money into and we'll see if housing prices in the lower mainland go down significantly enough for the younger generation to afford to buy.

I'm guessing that neither of those things will happen, so we may have to wait and see what else they've got.

I don't know that "guts" is the right word :lol: 

26 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Balls?

I was going for stupidity. Its clear if you listened to Weaver and Horgan that this project isn't going anywhere. They said what they had to in order to get elected (like they all do) and the shtick now is they do a "review" and say things are too far along to stop and then proceed to blame Clark for years until it starts producing energy. I can hear it now.. we can't have daycare because of Site C, seniors are starving because of Site C... and on and on. Even though its a capital project thats not part of annual budget line items.

Thats why Clark is forcing them to make a quick decision on it, they either have to agree to go ahead or be on the hook for wasting 2 billion before they even take power. Its pretty funny actually, because Horgan just couldn't help himself and lit this fire with his idiotic letter to BC Hydro.

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Personally just trying to correct the ideologues from spreading false information.

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

BC Hydro power expansion projections is like asking a fox to predict  how many chickens a fox should be allowed to  babysit....

False analogy.

Foxes don't produce chickens. They consume them.

BC Hydro produces electricity. It encourages conservation (more to sell!).

BC Hydro is a lot of things, but corrupt isn't one of them.

45 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I was going for stupidity. Its clear if you listened to Weaver and Horgan that this project isn't going anywhere. They said what they had to in order to get elected (like they all do) and the shtick now is they do a "review" and say things are too far along to stop and then proceed to blame Clark for years until it starts producing energy. I can hear it now.. we can't have daycare because of Site C, seniors are starving because of Site C... and on and on. Even though its a capital project thats not part of annual budget line items.

Thats why Clark is forcing them to make a quick decision on it, they either have to agree to go ahead or be on the hook for wasting 2 billion before they even take power. Its pretty funny actually, because Horgan just couldn't help himself and lit this fire with his idiotic letter to BC Hydro.

I hope you don't mean ha ha funny because if you do you have a pretty sick sense of humour.....

1 minute ago, ronthecivil said:

I hope you don't mean ha ha funny because if you do you have a pretty sick sense of humour.....

Funny from a political fumble pov.  All Horgan had to do was keep his mouth shut for 2 weeks but he decided to try to score points with his letter. What did he think Clark would do, just sit back and take it? Pretty arrogant and naive. 

22 hours ago, ronthecivil said:

False analogy.

Foxes don't produce chickens. They consume them.

BC Hydro produces electricity. It encourages conservation (more to sell!).

BC Hydro is a lot of things, but corrupt isn't one of them.

Most companies that i have been involved with are of course in favour of expansion / building more capacity.

Great for employees, careers and opportunities from within.   Who working there would not be in favour... ?

With crown corporation though it is the taxpayer that is taking the risk of new projects , not any individual owners.

Site C may be a great idea, maybe not.

Personally, if i was the NDP i don't know how i would proceed. To cancel the project will be political suicide.  lose of 2000 construction jobs. etc...... and to finish the project will give the BC Liberals a hydro legacy.

I think the NDP / Greens can't really win .    Since it is politics , i would predict they will do what damages them least so it probably plug their noses and finish the project.....

Just my 2 cents.....

4 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Personally, if i was the NDP i don't know how i would proceed. To cancel the project will be political suicide.  lose of 2000 construction jobs. etc...... and to finish the project will give the BC Liberals a hydro legacy.

No it gives BC a green power legacy. When you're driving the Coquihalla do you ever think of the politicians behind it? No one will care in 10 years what party was in power when the thing was built.

But you do remember the projects that get fouled up. The NDP may never live down fast ferries e.g.

6 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Most companies that i have been involved with are of course in favour of expansion / building more capacity.

Great for employees, careers and opportunities from within.   Who working there would not be in favour... ?

With crown corporation though it is the taxpayer that is taking the risk of new projects , not any individual owners.

Site C may be a great idea, maybe not.

I think the NDP / Greens can't really win .    Since it is politics , i would predict they will do what damages them least so it probably plug their noses and finish the project.....

Just my 2 cents.....

A little flip floppy of you..

39 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

A little flip floppy of you..

Politics is not about what you believe in .

Politics is what will get you re-elected.

Self preservation.

Look to the NDP to plug their nose and finish site C even if they don't believe in it.   This is the most likely approach to get them re-elected......  To do otherwise would be career suicide...

2 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

No it gives BC a green power legacy. When you're driving the Coquihalla do you ever think of the politicians behind it? No one will care in 10 years what party was in power when the thing was built.

But you do remember the projects that get fouled up. The NDP may never live down fast ferries e.g.

Sorry but flooding fantastic farmland  the size of 14 stanley parks is not  green power.......  Putting fish and wildlife corridors at risk is not green power......

I do agree that fouled up projects great a long term negative legacy....    But will excess power that is not needed fall into this category ?

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Sorry but flooding fantastic farmland  the size of 14 stanley parks is not  green power.......  Putting fish and wildlife corridors at risk is not green power......

I do agree that fouled up projects great a long term negative legacy....    But will excess power that is not needed fall into this category ?

thats ridiculous, its a tiny amount of land, and its for a gigantic source of green energy. Every other kind of project would use a small amount of land and/or have some kind of small impact. 

We have over 18,000 sq miles of land in the ALR. This uses 21 of them. 21/18000. Follow the dots. 

48 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

thats ridiculous, its a tiny amount of land, and its for a gigantic source of green energy. Every other kind of project would use a small amount of land and/or have some kind of small impact. 

We have over 18,000 sq miles of land in the ALR. This uses 21 of them. 21/18000. Follow the dots. 

From wikopedia

The panel's view is not shared by agrologist Wendy Holm, past president of the B.C. Institute of Agrologists, who provided expert testimony before the Joint Federal Provincial Panel on the agricultural impact of the project. According to Holm, the part of the Peace River Valley that would be flooded by the Site C dam could meet the fresh vegetable nutritional requirements of over one million people. Holm stated that the Peace Valley, with its fertile alluvial soils and class one microclimate, is capable of producing the same range of crops that can be grown in the Fraser Valley, 1,200 km (750 mi) to the south. Higher yields are possible due to long summer days, making it "the only large tract of land for future horticultural expansion in the province." She noted the importance of the Valley for future food security of the province in that more than two thirds of B.C. vegetables are imported, mostly from drought-plagued California. The Peace Valley is closer (than California) to the Fraser Valley and is far closer to communities in northern B.C., the Yukon, and the Northwest Territories.[28]

According to David Suzuki, flooding valuable farmland to build the dam will undermine Canada's international commitments under the Paris Agreement. Suzuki considers the farmland essential to reduce B.C.'s dependence on imported foods and minimize the carbon fuels needed to transport those foods: "It seems to me crazy to put farmland in the north underwater," Suzuki said. "We live in a food chain now in which food grows on average 3,000 kilometres from where it's consumed. The transport of all that food is dependent on fossil fuels. Food has got to be grown much closer to where it's going to be consumed."[29]

Archived