The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Provincial Election Thread

JM_

CDC Votes!  

216 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 minutes ago, DonLever said:

Maybe Christy Clark should ask the LG for a new election:

From CKNW:

Is Clark in a position to even do that though?  Plus, the LG would likely ask the NDP and Greens if they could form a government, with Horgan as the new Premier, and those two groups already have a deal in place to do so.  Nope, Clark's days are numbered.  The Liberals (only in name of course) will be electing a new leader for the next Provincial election.

59 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is Clark in a position to even do that though?  Plus, the LG would likely ask the NDP and Greens if they could form a government, with Horgan as the new Premier, and those two groups already have a deal in place to do so.  Nope, Clark's days are numbered.  The Liberals (only in name of course) will be electing a new leader for the next Provincial election.

We don't know what the LG will do.... its a really interesting part of parliamentary systems that this position gets to have so much power in a rare situation like this. It could go either way. 

I do believe that poll though, I think a lot of people switched from Lib to Green and have some buyers remorse. If thats really the case.... man we could be in for a lot of angst in BC if the LG chooses election.

For me, while I'm no fan of Horgan whatsoever, I want to see a new Liberal leader, they need renewal very very badly. Thats going to take time, and in the meantime Hodor can do his thing and we can watch the G-DP stumble for 18 months. Or maybe they'll surprise many and actually be good. Either way I personally want to see a wave of renewal run through the Libs. 

14 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

How is Clark looking for ways to stay in power any different from the NDP and Greens making a deal to take it? It isn't. Both sides are doing what they have to in order to try to gain power. You can paste your feelings all over it and demonize one or the other, but they are both doing the same thing, its naive to think otherwise.

The Liberals actually won more seats and had more support than the NDP. There's an actual fact for you. Horgan was able to get Weaver to compromise on a bunch of issues in order for Horgan to take over even though he actually came in 2nd. But to you thats all just fine, but Clark - who is following things to the letter of the law - is slammed by you. But you have no actual factual basis for it in terms of what she's currently doing. You just hate her. 

The 90 day thing is something you're just making up, how about they just stick to the constitution? 

The speaker issue is a real part of governing in a parliamentary democracy. Again, you clearly don't like it but are ignoring the facts. 

Honestly none of what you posted has any basis in fact, you just don't like Clark, but thats not a reason to invent new parliamentary rules. 

Its amazing to see the dripping hate for one party, and the love for the other, when they're both doing the same thing, trying to get power. 

I would suggest a bc liberal forum is better suited to your thoughts. You seem intolerant of other opinions. Suggesting 90 days to pass a throne speech is my opinion and not as you suggest an attempt to re write the constitution. Your seeing only one side through a tainted lens. Christy is abusing the house to set up for an election call ..... only her die hard supporters could see it otherwise. Again that is my opinion only in case you want to claim it's attpemting to change history again. Although I feel complimented that you seem to feel I have that kinda power.

3 minutes ago, iwtl said:

I would suggest a bc liberal forum is better suited to your thoughts. You seem intolerant of other opinions. Suggesting 90 days to pass a throne speech is my opinion and not as you suggest an attempt to re write the constitution. Your seeing only one side through a tainted lens. Christy is abusing the house to set up for an election call ..... only her die hard supporters could see it otherwise. Again that is my opinion only in case you want to claim it's attpemting to change history again. Although I feel complimented that you seem to feel I have that kinda power.

Actually I think your posts resemble this criticism more than mine. I've said many times here that I want to see Clark replaced. You're accusing the Libs and Clark of acting in a slimy or dishonest way, which is total bunk. They're playing the game and following the rules, just like Horgan and Weaver. 

90 days to pass a throne speech is utterly ridiculous, sorry thats just a very strange idea. Hold up all government business for 3 months? to attain what?

4 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

How anyone can think that politicians on either side are acting in the best interest of the people of the province is beyond me. I am in the camp that all sides are bad and only out for themselves... Liberal, Green, NDP its all the same garbage. 

They're all politicians, they all play in the same game. E.g., the NDP criticized Clark for adding more debt by using contractual obligations, but Horgans "90,000 jobs" plan uses contractual obligations to generate construction jobs and adds debt in exactly the same way! I feel like the NDP supporters actually have no idea, or maybe don't care, how things actually get done, and can vilify one party for doing the exact same thing their guy is doing. 

7 minutes ago, iwtl said:

My opinion is that within 90 days ... not after 90 days.

I do not feel that changing priemers without a firm time to test the house is a good idea.  

so you'd be happy with 80 more days of Clark trying to convince Weaver to support the Liberal throne speech? 

11 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

They're all politicians, they all play in the same game. E.g., the NDP criticized Clark for adding more debt by using contractual obligations, but Horgans "90,000 jobs" plan uses contractual obligations to generate construction jobs and adds debt in exactly the same way! I feel like the NDP supporters actually have no idea, or maybe don't care, how things actually get done, and can vilify one party for doing the exact same thing their guy is doing. 

exactly!

7 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

so you'd be happy with 80 more days of Clark trying to convince Weaver to support the Liberal throne speech? 

No .... but she  could have as there currently no firm rule on testing the house. I think there should be. This situation has provided reasons for the need on clearer rules for minority governance. 

Just now, iwtl said:

No .... but she  could have as there currently no firm rule on testing the house. I think there should be. This situation has provided reasons for the need on clearer rules for minority governance. 

but its been like 4 days. And if some government did try to drag it out, the LG could dissolve parliament and simply call a new election. I'm not intending to be condescending but it just bugs me when politicians - of all stripes - get people whipped up for things when everyone is actually following the rules. Both sides are doing it right now. Clark is playing an embarrassing game in the media and Horgan is saying she's dragging it all out, when the fact is none of Clarks press conferences make one whiff of difference to the LGs job, and Horgan knows he's not being honest on the timing and Weaver is saying untrue things about the speaker issue. Its moving along exactly as designed and they're all acting like fools. 

It's 45 days post election. Christy could have waited to September to recall the house. The one thing she did I do support was a house recall sooner vs later. This is the 90 day limit I'm referring to.... I feel that within 90 days of winning an election or on change of government..... any minority government should be required to establish confidence. Majority government are a moot point as clearly they have the numbers 

Na, Christy should just ask the LG to see if Horgan wants to form government.

Let them start putting out their partisan stuff like banning the secret ballot in union elections (what is this, 1935?), wait for a nice little dust-up between the greens and NDP, and then start putting out votes that may eventually bring down the government on it's own. A year or two of the NDP will be the best ad campaign for the liberals ever! Especially if they do something crazy like cancel site C, or new regulations in mining or logging (a great way to get every interior mayor ready to burn down the legislature). Heck, just the general fear and the likely decrease in the economy will be all the wakeup call she would need from the province.

A year or two of pointing out stupidity? Now THAT is a great campaign!

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

but its been like 4 days. And if some government did try to drag it out, the LG could dissolve parliament and simply call a new election. I'm not intending to be condescending but it just bugs me when politicians - of all stripes - get people whipped up for things when everyone is actually following the rules. Both sides are doing it right now. Clark is playing an embarrassing game in the media and Horgan is saying she's dragging it all out, when the fact is none of Clarks press conferences make one whiff of difference to the LGs job, and Horgan knows he's not being honest on the timing and Weaver is saying untrue things about the speaker issue. Its moving along exactly as designed and they're all acting like fools. 

That's the legal system! I am right, your are wrong, and your just messing with the system! I am following procedure, and you are not! You don't have the people's interest in mind, I do!

31 minutes ago, ronthecivil said:

That's the legal system! I am right, your are wrong, and your just messing with the system! I am following procedure, and you are not! You don't have the people's interest in mind, I do!

well thats just it. To get frothy over it makes no sense since they all do it. 

1 hour ago, iwtl said:

It's 45 days post election. Christy could have waited to September to recall the house. The one thing she did I do support was a house recall sooner vs later. This is the 90 day limit I'm referring to.... I feel that within 90 days of winning an election or on change of government..... any minority government should be required to establish confidence. Majority government are a moot point as clearly they have the numbers 

ok that makes more sense. Right now they have until the next budget, so actually it could have been quite a wait. So all the complaining in the media about her "delays" isn't true, she's actually doing things faster than she needs to by the law, but of course had she tried to wait months, even though she's allowed to, she'd be eaten alive in the media. 

B.C. Liberals fall after 16 years in power, NDP seeks chance to govern

VICTORIA -- British Columbia's minority Liberal government was defeated Thursday in a non-confidence vote in the legislature, setting the stage for the NDP to govern or for another election.

No members of the legislature broke ranks as the Greens backed the New Democrats' non-confidence motion to defeat Premier Christy Clark's government.

The Liberals lost the vote 44-42. As the presiding officer in the legislature, the Speaker did not vote.

As Clark left the legislature, her supporters lined the hallway clapping and shaking her hand.

What happens now will be up to Lt.-Gov Judith Guichon, who has to decide whether to allow NDP Leader John Horgan to try to form a government or dissolve the legislature, prompting an election.

Clark arrived at the lieutenant-governor's official residence shortly after the vote to meet with Guichon.

Clark, whose Liberals have held power for 16 years, made an impassioned plea to members of the legislature to support her government.

In a bid to remain in power, the Liberals adopted NDP and Green promises from last month's election in their throne speech including higher social assistance rates, banning corporate, union and third-party donations to political parties, spending more on childcare and increasing the carbon tax.

"When we go into political combat we all acknowledge that sometimes we spend so much time fighting with one another in here that it's hard to listen to what British Columbians want. And the throne speech is an answer to that," she said.

"It's an answer to what voters told us on May 9. It's an acknowledgment, a sincere acknowledgment, that we didn't get it right. It is an expression of renewed priorities based on what voters told us, including that they want us to work across party lines with one another."

But the opposition parties signalled from the outset they had no intention of backing the Liberals, defeating two measures they had supported during the election.

The work of government has been in limbo for almost two months since the Liberals won a minority government with 43 members in the 87-seat legislature.

After the election, the NDP, with 41 seats, and the Greens, with three seats, signed an agreement to defeat the Liberals in a bid to put the New Democrats in power.

Because the Speaker doesn't typically cast a vote, the NDP-Green deal would work more easily if a Liberal agrees to serve in the position. Otherwise votes are destined to end in 43-43 ties, making an NDP government unstable.

On Wednesday, Clark said she was ready to tell Guichon the legislature can't work, if the lieutenant-governor asks for her opinion.

Her comments prompted ridicule and heated exchanges in the legislature Thursday.

Questions directed at Clark were all similar: why are the Liberals more interested in forcing an election than letting a new government get to work.

Clark suggested Green party Leader Andrew Weaver lied when he told voters he would work with all politicians in the legislature.

"He wasn't telling the truth about that then and he isn't telling the truth about what he is saying today," Clark said to applause from the Liberals.

After the Speaker's intervention, Clark withdrew her statement.

Weaver said it was time for the Liberal members to move to the opposition benches.

"They are acting like belligerent children as they're going into that time out."

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/b-c-liberals-fall-after-16-years-in-power-ndp-seeks-chance-to-govern-1.3481429?hootPostID=d02e049c0938f223e015303fbb7fc6ed

Archived