The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cale Makar lights it up tonight with scouts galore in Penticton BC for the WCC

Heiskanen or Liljgren if we go for a defenceman please!

Taking someone out of the BCHL that early in the first round is risky, and its considered a MUCH better league than the AJHL.

If we go for a center I could see it being Middlestat or Pettersson... but I'd like to see Cody Glass!

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

PLayers that came out of a junior B league

T. Jost

D. Fabbro

D. Keith

C. Kobasew

B. Morrison

T. Glass

P. Kariya

B. Hull

And this is just Penticton.  I have now seen Makar in 4 games here in Penticton.  People questioning his defensive acumen need to sit down.  He does JUST fine.  The "glaring issues" are the things you can quite capably coach out of him.  His "size" the guy is closer to 6 feet than 5 foot 10, and he isn't a measly 175 pounds either he's closer to 185-190

The quality of player he is playing against shouldn't concern you either, because some of you are championing Mittlestadt who played in a high school league where a DEFENSEMAN scored 70+ goals or some such nonsense

Whoever drafts Makar (Colorado) is getting a premiere offensive defenseman who will be in college for 2 to 4 years, playing against grown men as old as 24-25 years old.  This is before he even sniffs the big leagues

Makar is a long term prospect but is in no means a bad pick at 4-5-6 for a team that has a need for that in the future.

Great Post.... Has he been as good as advertised in Penny?  Lots of scouts as they are saying??

Whoever drafts Makar (Colorado) is getting a premiere offensive defenseman who will be in college for 2 to 4 years, playing against grown men as old as 24-25 years old.  This is before he even sniffs the big leagues

With Johnson and Barrie, Colorado's right side is actually OK. Not to mention Barrie is pretty much the player everyone expects Makar to become. Whereas the Avs have a black hole on the left side of the blueline, so Heiskanen is a better fit.

Problem is, Dallas may take him at #3. They've got a solid future on the right with Klingberg, Honka, and Johns. But Oleksiak and Nemeth have been disappointing, so Lindell is the only solid young LHD they currently have.

PLayers that came out of a junior B league

T. Jost

D. Fabbro

D. Keith

C. Kobasew

B. Morrison

T. Glass

P. Kariya

B. Hull

You mean Junior A league don't you? 

I for one would be stoked to get Liljgren,

we didn't get many points from the backend over the last few years and defensemen with the ability to help it this regard are sorely needed.

Also he is defensibly responsible this help alot.

Nothing I hate more than seeing us get scored on time after time with defensemen doing the tirefire drill.

We need this young stud defenseman more than forwards to set the pace of the game like BOBBY ORR OR DENIS POTVIN Did  back in the day.

WHO AMONG US AS CANUCK FANS WOULDN'T LOVE TO SEE THAT.

34 minutes ago, D-Money said:

With Johnson and Barrie, Colorado's right side is actually OK. Not to mention Barrie is pretty much the player everyone expects Makar to become. Whereas the Avs have a black hole on the left side of the blueline, so Heiskanen is a better fit.

Problem is, Dallas may take him at #3. They've got a solid future on the right with Klingberg, Honka, and Johns. But Oleksiak and Nemeth have been disappointing, so Lindell is the only solid young LHD they currently have.

From the few reports I've read  Av's aren't even considering taking a D (which I find someone surprising) they've narrowed it down, trading it away or taking to Vilardi vs Mittel.  And they are leaning toward vilardi for his right shot and ability to play a strong two way game.

11 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

From the few reports I've read  Av's aren't even considering taking a D (which I find someone surprising) they've narrowed it down, trading it away or taking to Vilardi vs Mittel.  And they are leaning toward vilardi for his right shot and ability to play a strong two way game.

I've heard that too.

I guess they don't feel they have 3-4 years to wait for a D to pan out. They'll probably trade Duchesne and/or Landeskog for D-men that are further along in their development. Their young forwards are almost ready now.

1 hour ago, CHYCHRUN said:

Great Post.... Has he been as good as advertised in Penny?  Lots of scouts as they are saying??

In all 4 games he has been hands down the best player on the ice.

I don't mean for his team.  I mean period.  Best skater.  Most intelligent.  And most electrifying 

If he's not directly involved in goal scoring or offense he is on the ice for it.  He is also without question decent defensively 

People need to remember.  This isn't some measly tournament.  The is the best provincial teams from BC Alberta Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

If they can capably say Mittlestadt is perfectly fine or any number of players based on tournament play than they best understand this applies to Makar too

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

You mean Junior A league don't you? 

I would.  But some people consider the AJHL a step below even the BCJHL 

56 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Isn't Vilardi a left shooting player?

Crazy if they do.  But I guess it means Jost is another season or 2 away and they'll want a centre that is physically ready for the NHL for when they trade Duchene.

Meaning that defense will be a tire fire to rival ours and we're going to fight it out for Dahlin 

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Isn't Vilardi a left shooting player?

Crazy if they do.  But I guess it means Jost is another season or 2 away and they'll want a centre that is physically ready for the NHL for when they trade Duchene.

Meaning that defense will be a tire fire to rival ours and we're going to fight it out for Dahlin 

Nope he's a right shot.  I think they like the idea that he can play center and wing.  And they've really missed a center that can play in all areas since they moved O'Reilly.  I think they are hoping Soderberg can have a bounce back year, since he was awful this year.

They have so much talent upfront if you add Dahlin, look out. 

Canucks should not worry about D this year and be doing everything in their power to draft Dahlin. But if they don't get him there's still a ton of really good D options, all who will likely to be considerable better than the top 3 D in this year draft.  The 2018 draft is loaded with D talents.   Dahlin, Merkley, Hughes Wilde, E.Bouchard, Mcisaac, Boqvist, and all likely go in the top 10-12. 

15 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Canucks should not worry about D this year and be doing everything in their power to draft Dahlin. But if they don't get him there's still a ton of really good D options, all who will likely to be considerable better than the top 3 D in this year draft.  The 2018 draft is loaded with D talents.   Dahlin, Merkley, Hughes Wilde, E.Bouchard, Mcisaac, Boqvist, and all likely go in the top 10-12. 

How would management/ownership/(fans) feel about foregoing this years #5 for another 1st rounder next year?  Would Colorado entertain our 1st this year plus CBJ 2nd in exchange for their 1st next year with no lottery protection?  Then we can flip Tanev to a team for their mid/low 1st rounder this year to somewhat compensate (Leafs?).  If they pulled that one off, it would hurt a bit in the short-term but be substantially more valuable for the franchise long-term as next years draft has some pretty exceptional talent as opposed to this years so-so talent. 

56 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Nope he's a right shot.  I think they like the idea that he can play center and wing.  And they've really missed a center that can play in all areas since they moved O'Reilly.  I think they are hoping Soderberg can have a bounce back year, since he was awful this year.

Oh I know, if you've looked at Merkely's numbers and compare them to Doughtys and then look at the ages...it's almost shocking.

But Dahlin is looking like that defenseman that comes around only once every decade or so, "generational talents" at forward are cropping up every 2nd or 3rd year it seems.  As we've seen that label used on 4 or 5 players alone since 2011

But being able to use and justify the use of generational defenseman...damn

25 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

How would management/ownership/(fans) feel about foregoing this years #5 for another 1st rounder next year?  Would Colorado entertain our 1st this year plus CBJ 2nd in exchange for their 1st next year with no lottery protection?  Then we can flip Tanev to a team for their mid/low 1st rounder this year to somewhat compensate (Leafs?).  If they pulled that one off, it would hurt a bit in the short-term but be substantially more valuable for the franchise long-term as next years draft has some pretty exceptional talent as opposed to this years so-so talent. 

IF we could pull that off it wouldf be absolutely amazing because it means we'd have two picks in the top 10

But there is literally 0 chance the vas do this

Imagine looking at Edmonton/Buffalo 2 years ago and saying that we'll trade you the 6th in 2014 (virtanen) for the 1st in 2015 (representing generational talents McDavid or Eichel) and add a late 2nd.

Now, while I agree 100% that it is JUST a pick, a GM will know the direction their team is taking and I don't see any way or possibilty Sakic looks at the 4th and 5th this year and thinks his team will be so much better that it will be a playoff team and this give up a chance at a Wise a Svechnikov or a Dahlin

54 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Oh I know, if you've looked at Merkely's numbers and compare them to Doughtys and then look at the ages...it's almost shocking.

But Dahlin is looking like that defenseman that comes around only once every decade or so, "generational talents" at forward are cropping up every 2nd or 3rd year it seems.  As we've seen that label used on 4 or 5 players alone since 2011

But being able to use and justify the use of generational defenseman...damn

Yeah Dahlin is a true generational talent.  I honestly think that he can be the 2nd best player to get drafted in the last 5 years, (only McDavid will be better). And the fact that he's a D makes it that much more amazing.   

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

If we could, i'd be all for it, but I doubt any team with will be wanting to move a high lottery pick when a player like Dahlin is available. And even after him that 2018 draft is loaded.  I think 2018 1st round draft picks will be at a premium. 

There is so much talent in next years draft. 

Dahlin generational D talent.

Svechnikov – The best Russian prospect since Ovi 

Merkley -  Doughty comparable

Tkachuk – Even better than Matt

Wilde – Ekblad comparable

Hughes – Almost a ppg D in the USHL, as a 16/17 year old this year.

Veleno, Khovanov , Wise, McIsaac, Groulx, Zadina, Boqvist 

33 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Yeah Dahlin is a true generational talent.  I honestly think that he can be the 2nd best player to get drafted in the last 5 years, (only McDavid will be better). And the fact that he's a D makes it that much more amazing.   

If we could, i'd be all for it, but I doubt any team with will be wanting to move a high lottery pick when a player like Dahlin is available. And even after him that 2018 draft is loaded.  I think 2018 1st round draft picks will be at a premium. 

There is so much talent in next years draft. 

Dahlin generational D talent.

Svechnikov – The best Russian prospect since Ovi 

Merkley -  Doughty comparable

Tkachuk – Even better than Matt

Wilde – Ekblad comparable

Hughes – Almost a ppg D in the USHL, as a 16/17 year old this year.

Veleno, Khovanov , Wise, McIsaac, Groulx, Zadina, Boqvist 

Yes

Yes

Yes and Yes

Next years D men are a cut above anyone chosen since Ekblad by all accounts.  I wouldn't take Svechnikov simply because we have no need for a winger at this point, all C or D plus the Russian factor; but wouldn't put it past Benning/Linden to draft him, keep Pedan up and Goldobin and see if they can entice Tree-Am-Kin back in 3 years.

There's some gods be damned talent next year for sure.  But almost all of it within the top 10 picks thus far.  So if we're gonna suck suck hard next year and pray that we can obtain another 1st or 2.  Tanev for a 10-20 this year or an unknown for next year...

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

There's some gods be damned talent next year for sure.  But almost all of it within the top 10 picks thus far.  So if we're gonna suck suck hard next year and pray that we can obtain another 1st or 2.  Tanev for a 10-20 this year or an unknown for next year...

I'd be game for trading tanev for a 2018 unknown pick,  I don't think any bottom feeders (Av's, Vegas, ARZ) would be willing to do it since it's high lottery odds but you might be able to get a TB, TO, or even a DAL 2018 first round pick.

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

So your saying Makar and Liljegren are a 3rd d-man type?  Give it a rest man.  A) you can't say that when everyone is saying that are top 2 minimum. B) Some are saying Makar could be a generational talent, a true no.1 PP QB.

I'm not saying he will be, but I would take Craig Buttons word for it over yours.

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Nobody can predict where Colorado finishes next season.  To trade a locked in 5th for a future 1st round pick is crazy.  What if Colorado trades Landeskog for a top D-pairing guy? What if they figure out the goaltender issue?  What if they draft vilardi with the pick we give them (5th) which gives them centers McKinnen, Duchene, Vilardi as there 3 solid lines down the middle?  What if they trade there very own 4th pick for another D-Man?  All in all we don't know what they do... all we know is they are going to make some changes and they might figure it out.  If they do, you would regret giving them a 5th overall plus a 2nd rounder for what could be a mid to late 1st if things go Colorado's way.  That's a crazy gamble.

45 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I'd be game for trading tanev for a 2018 unknown pick,  I don't think any bottom feeders (Av's, Vegas, ARZ) would be willing to do it since it's high lottery odds but you might be able to get a TB, TO, or even a DAL 2018 first round pick.

Just need to look and see who regresses most I guess in to a top 10 area.  I would say CBJ (ya I know) Islanders, Panthers, LA, Ottawa and then the usual suspects.  3 of the current top 10 drafting teams had off years and will get better so...coin flip

37 minutes ago, CHYCHRUN said:

So your saying Makar and Liljegren are a 3rd d-man type?  Give it a rest man.  A) you can't say that when everyone is saying that are top 2 minimum. B) Some are saying Makar could be a generational talent, a true no.1 PP QB.

I'm not saying he will be, but I would take Craig Buttons word for it over yours.

You have some major reading comprehension issues.  I never said they are 3rd D man types. I said the top 3 D in this year draft (makar, Liljegren Heiskanen) aren't in the same ball park as the top D in next year draft. 

Before you make a claim against someone you might want to double check exactly what they said.

Archived