The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

22 dead, 100+ injured at Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, England

Police have confirmed a "number of fatalities" following reports of an explosion at Manchester Arena.

Witnesses reported hearing a "huge bang" following an Ariana Grande gig at Manchester Arena.

Network Rail said train lines out of Manchester Victoria station, which is close to the concert venue, were blocked.

Greater Manchester Police tweeted to urge people to stay away from the area.

'Screaming and running'

A number of eyewitnesses have described the confusion in the aftermath.

Robert Tempkin, 22, from Middlesbrough, said: "Everyone was screaming and running, there were coats and people's phones on the floor. People just dropped everything.

"Some people were screaming they'd seen blood but other people were saying it was balloons busting or a speaker had been popped."

"There were lots of ambulances. I saw somebody being treated. I couldn't tell what had happened to him."

_96167149_hi039644285.jpg

_96167147_hi039644359.jpg

Josh Elliott, speaking to BBC Radio 5 Live, said he was shocked by news of the fatalities.

"A bang went off and everyone stopped and screamed... we basically hit the deck," he said

"It was bedlam… it was horrific.

"We got up when we thought it was safe and got out as quickly as possible.

"People were just crying and in tears... police cars were everywhere.

"We just wanted to get out as quickly as possible because we didn't know what was going on."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-40007886

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to "A number of fatalities" at Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, England

Earlier:  Reports of an explosion at Manchester Arena (UK)

(more details at that link)

Manchester Police now saying there are a number of fatalities:
  • Number of confirmed fatalities
  • Others injured
The explosion came towards the end of an Ariana Grande concert, so there will have been a lot of kids there.

Edit: Reports indicate the singer was not injured.

8 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

No idea why just her leg would be bleeding if it was a pressure cooker, but to be fair I've never seen one explode.

Generally a pressure cooker bomb is filled with shrapnel. That being said, I have no idea how whoever tweeted that is able to determine it was a pressure cooker bomb from that video.

10 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

No idea why just her leg would be bleeding if it was a pressure cooker, but to be fair I've never seen one explode.

Probably referring to injuries that aren't in the video as well. Shrapnel causing cuts?

1 minute ago, TheHitman said:

Probably referring to injuries that aren't in the video as well. Shrapnel causing cuts?

2 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Generally a pressure cooker bomb is filled with shrapnel. That being said, I have no idea how whoever tweeted that is able to determine it was a pressure cooker bomb from that video.

Me either.  I remember the ones from Boston.  Those basically tore off limbs if you were anywhere near them.  I suppose it's possible that she could have been far away and got hit by some of the pieces of shrapnel.

People are actually making jokes about this, its effing disgusting. I saw a tweet from this guy saying the last time he listened to Ariana Grande, he almost died too.   

THIS ISN'T A JOKE. KIDS HAVE DIED, WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS WORLD, WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE. 

My hearts and prayers go out to all the victims and their family :(

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

Me either.  I remember the ones from Boston.  Those basically tore off limbs if you were anywhere near them.  I suppose it's possible that she could have been far away and got hit by some of the pieces of shrapnel.

It may be an accident.

Let's give the authorities time to investigate.

Pretty horrific though. 

1 minute ago, theminister said:

Jumping to conclusions in ...3...2...1...

I can see why he is.  The explosion was fairly loud in the video.  Although assuming it was a pressure cooker specifically is guesswork on his part by the sounds of it.  We'll know soon enough.

Just now, theminister said:

It may be an accident.

Let's give the authorities time to investigate.

Pretty horrific though. 

It could be anything.  Mass panic + thousands of people = Bad things will happen.

4 minutes ago, Apricot said:

People are actually making jokes about this

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I saw that too. :sadno:

There are people being trolled by jackas*es in some peolple's threads where they are looking for help finding their missing family members.

2 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

There are people being trolled by jackas*es in some peolple's threads where they are looking for help finding their missing family members.

Having worked at two Arianna Grande shows, I know what the demographic is exactly like.

These are kids we are talking about.

Just now, theminister said:

Having worked at two Arianna Grande shows, I know what the demographic is exactly like.

These are kids we are talking about.

I don't doubt it.  Just look at the ABC video.  The stairs are all full of kids screaming and running while the adults in the foreground are standing there looking for what I assume are their children. 

Archived