The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) VAN-FLA After Benning interview

After Bennings interview on TSN 1040 today it was made clear Benning does not want to trade Tanev for draft picks if at all nor does he think there's much of any chance to move up in the draft.     http://www.tsn.ca/radio/audio/benning-not-looking-to-trade-tanev-moving-up-in-draft-unlikely-1.786441 

What i did notice is Benning suggesting that "if" Tanev were to be moved there would have to be a young defense man coming back in the trade.

My suggestion would be,

To FLA

Chris Tanev

To VAN

Michael Matheson

Florida could use help on defense as they were one of the worse in the league in Goals against and they are in a win now mentality, Tanev undoubtedly would help.

Canucks get a younger PMD that will fit right in with our group moving forward.

Could this trade work for both teams?  Is it fair value for both teams ?  Thoughts...?

Getting a D back in the trade shouldn't be a huge problem... JB didn't say it had to be a 1 for 1 trade.  Could be a bottom pairing RHD coming back.  

Florida's 10th overall pick + Petrovic :)

36 minutes ago, canuckmen84 said:

After Bennings interview on TSN 1040 today it was made clear Benning does not want to trade Tanev for draft picks if at all nor does he think there's much of any chance to move up in the draft.     http://www.tsn.ca/radio/audio/benning-not-looking-to-trade-tanev-moving-up-in-draft-unlikely-1.786441 

What i did notice is Benning suggesting that "if" Tanev were to be moved there would have to be a young defense man coming back in the trade.

My suggestion would be,

To FLA

Chris Tanev

To VAN

Michael Matheson

Florida could use help on defense as they were one of the worse in the league in Goals against and they are in a win now mentality, Tanev undoubtedly would help.

Canucks get a younger PMD that will fit right in with our group moving forward.

Could this trade work for both teams?  Is it fair value for both teams ?  Thoughts...?

I'd rather trade him to Buffalo for #8

Draft Glass and Makar/Liljegren

Then sign Franconia 2 years at 4-5M per until the young D are ready to take over.

1 hour ago, Hortankin said:

I'd rather trade him to Buffalo for #8

Draft Glass and Makar/Liljegren

Then sign Franconia 2 years at 4-5M per until the young D are ready to take over.

I would rather trade him for a high first round pick as well but based on the new info it doesn't look like a possibility.

1 hour ago, Agoork said:

Getting a D back in the trade shouldn't be a huge problem... JB didn't say it had to be a 1 for 1 trade.  Could be a bottom pairing RHD coming back.  

Florida's 10th overall pick + Petrovic :)

I would be extremley happy with that return !  But we may need to add

I like the idea, but they just lost their leading goal scorer to protect their young defencemen for some stupid reason. Matheson is 23 but McCoshen is 21 and not as good. McCoshen is more of a big, physical shutdown defenceman and we could definitely use one after losing Tryamkin and Sbisa.

TO FLA: Chris Tanev
TO VAN: McCoshen + 1st round pick in 2017 or 2018.

I'd almost be more tempted to take a 2018 pick. There's looking to be a lot of stud top defencemen in next years draft, headlined by Dahlin but there's a lot of others. Florida could have an abyssmal season after losing their top scorer so it's a bit of a gamble but I'd take it and hopefully get a top-15 if not top-10 pick out of them. In 2017 they sit at 10th overall which gets us nothing flash - someone like Rasmussen/Petterson who will likely be a middle-6 center and probably not good enough to get us Heiskanen or Makar. 

Of course it's too early to tell what'll be available in 2018, but we know there's Dahlin going in the top-3 who may be the next Erik Karlsson. There are a lot of puck moving, point-getting defencemen too (Merkley, Hughes, the two Bouchards had great seasons). As for the centers, there are only really one or two that stood out and while this may change, I think there might be 5 defencemen to go in the top-10 or top-15 next season. We'll likely have a top-10 pick of our own next season too.

DRAFT: Draft a center in 2017, ideally Vilardi>Glass>Mittelstatd>Petterson and let them develop back in junior for a couple of seasons.

DRAFT 2018: Take two defencemen with our first round picks. If we're lucky we win the lottery and get Dahlin who turns this franchise around, if we're unlucky we end up with two very good if not elite defensive prospects. 

NEW CORE as of 2018 (barring trades of course):

Centers: Glass, Horvat, Sutter, Gaunce, Gaudette (?)

Wingers: Boeser, Dahlen, Baertschi, Goldobin, Virtanen

Defence: Juolevi, Bouchard (2018), Merkley, Stecher, McCoshen, Hutton, Gudbranson, Subban

Goalies: Demko, Markstrom

Of course being 17-18, the 2018 picks won't be NHL-ready until at least 2020 but that's when the rest of our forwards will be hitting their prime, and that's when we want to start contending again. That core lacks a true elite center but has waves of good puckmoving and shutdown physical defencemen. 

It's a marathon, not a sprint, and if we're going to beat these high-flying Oilers we can't play their game and match them. We're going to have to beat them with defensive depth and depth at center rather than an elite generational talent. Fingers crossed for the Dahlin lottery next year but if not, at least we end up with two fantastic defencemen.

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

TO FLA: Chris Tanev
TO VAN: McCoshen + 1st round pick in 2017 or 2018.

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

McCoshen is more of a big, physical shutdown defenceman and we could definitely use one after losing Tryamkin and Sbisa.

I don't mind Mccoshen but i think Benning wants more PMD type Dmen.

I like the idea of acquiring their 1st but that would be the main peice coming back and i don't think Benning is game for that type of trade involving Tanev.

Benning actual mentioned losing Sbisa would help so we could bring in Joulevi a puck moving dman and re shape our blueline.

I'm still in denial about losing Tryamkin but i have a gut feeling he will be back and when that time comes he will be a game changer for us.

Archived