The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 NHL Entry Draft

Zfetch

Just now, mikeyman109 said:

I think where Hughes will help the most is quicker puck retrieval in the D zone where he can beat forwards in on a dump and chase. Skating on the Power play he can rush the puck up ice and get the D to back off a bit. I am excited we got Woo at 37 because he is a guy that can skate and can learn the defensive game. He hits like a train and will add grit to the back end. he is bottom 6 though.

Second pairing shut down guy. He has offense and he showed at the beginning of the year, but was forced into the shutdown role. But when you have clague  coming over  you are generally gonna lose that role.

5 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

I am hoping you are right. Even Daniel and Henrik learned a slapshot.. but seriously the kid isnt here for his shot. Its not what we should ask him to do. We do get another Draft next year.Maybe our second rounder is a D with a shot.Im good with Hughes.

He won't be Duncan Keith because nobodies Duncan Keith but him, but his shot is a good comparable and his skating not far off either (although definitely not his stamina, nobody but Chelios has his stamina) I think that's the most we can expect from him although Brian Campbell is likely the best comparable which isn't shabby either.  Don't think he will ever be a number one that can do it all because he doesn't have the size, but he could develop his shot like Ellis and Ghost and hopefully end up a double digit goal scorer.  Otherwise Keith is his ceiling (he's not known for his scoring either, but gets piles of assists) and Campbell his floor.

7 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

I think where Hughes will help the most is quicker puck retrieval in the D zone where he can beat forwards in on a dump and chase. Skating on the Power play he can rush the puck up ice and get the D to back off a bit. I am excited we got Woo at 37 because he is a guy that can skate and can learn the defensive game. He hits like a train and will add grit to the back end. he is bottom 5-6 though.

This is exactly what the scouts say so I believe we should temper our expectations.  He's Beiga 2.0 with more upside, third pairing guy.

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

This is exactly what the scouts say so I believe we should temper our expectations.  He's Beiga 2.0 with more upside, third pairing guy.

Well Id be happy if the big Russian kid came back Juolevi gets healthy and we can asses who we have that will have an impact and who wont. Right now we are stuck with who we have and that's just not good enough. Yet

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

If you are looking at floor comparable for Hughes it would probably be spurgeon 

10 minutes ago, Isam said:

If you are looking at floor comparable for Hughes it would probably be spurgeon 

Floor comparable for Woo is Beiga 2.0, I think Hughes is floor is a little higher than Surgeon given he's the fasted guy in a speedy draft and he's playing fine with men already at 17.  But size wise definitely a good comparable.  Vatanen, Theodore, Ghost, Butcher and I believe McAvoy too (he's listed at six feet but I highly doubt it having watched him play, he doesn't look much taller than Marchand and is easily their smallest defenseman) are all undersized, Bieksa was too (again not six feet, 5 11 190).   Chelios was a junkyard dog at 5 11 190 so there is hope.

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Floor comparable for Woo is Beiga 2.0, I think Hughes is floor is a little higher than Surgeon given he's the fasted guy in a speedy draft and he's playing fine with men already at 17.  But size wise definitely a good comparable.  Vatanen, Theodore, Ghost, Butcher and I believe McAvoy too (he's listed at six feet but I highly doubt it having watched him play, he doesn't look much taller than Marchand and is easily their smallest defenseman) are all undersized, Bieksa was too (again not six feet, 5 11 190).   Chelios was a junkyard dog at 5 11 190 so there is hope.

Spurgeon is a very good floor since he is on the top pair in Minnesota with Suter And has surprisingly put up alot of points for a dman the past four years. As for the beige comparable I thought you meant Hughes. But anyways good comparables

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

If you watched the draft you saw the Burke board that showed skating was the easiest thing to develop...yes his shot will get better but it is a concern.  He won't likely grow, and won't be as fast if he adds twenty pounds either. Likely he will play at around 185.

Karllson was 1 inch taller and 9 lbs lighter (165lbs vs Hughes 174) when he was drafted and now plays at 6'-0" and between 190-195lbs FWIW. And his skating seems just fine FYI ;) 

30 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Woo definitely has far more upside than 3rd pairing or Biega +. Probably a lot closer to Bieksa in his projection. Good, physical 2nd pair D with complimentary offense.

6 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

While I was firmly in the Dobson camp, JB had the fortune to be able to choose between the runner ups to Dahlin. He took Quinn. 

That says a lot. 

He was like a kid at Christmas that got his wish. After taking Pettersson and Boeser he was calm a cool, this time he was having a hard time not mike dropping at the podium. 

Yes he was, and I yield to Jimbo for sure...……...mine is just fear based on scant information...…….I would have felt better if I had seen him play at the worlds

but I did not.

Hey kid could end up being the best kid in the draft...………..I don't have a clue

My fear is generally based on what I seen at the Stanley Cup Finals...………."BIg" quick, and fast Dmen, that can absorb a hit when the rules change

My concern may be unfounded, which is why I am as supportive as I was...…...it will take a couple of years to see the results, so I will wait for the proof

either way...….hey he was ranked high for a reason, and Jimbo was excited for a reason...……...I am willing to let it play out

I am way more disappointed in us not acquiring extra picks...….. but again, Jimbo may have not been offered enough and wants to wait on it until either the

free agency ends, the beginning of the season, and/or the TDL...……..with the draft being here next year, it makes sense.

Generally I am good...…..

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Karllson was 1 inch taller and 9 lbs lighter (165lbs vs Hughes 174) when he was drafted and now plays at 6'-0" and between 190-195lbs FWIW. And his skating seems just fine FYI ;) 

(I understand your "Just Fine" comment) but,  A friendly correction on your understating Hughes skating......it is elite from my understanding

Just now, janisahockeynut said:

(I understand your "Just Fine" comment) but,  A friendly correction on your understating Hughes skating......it is elite from my understanding

I think you misread my post....

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I think you misread my post....

No, I think I understand it, and agreed, but wanted to say "elite", because some may not understand your "just fine" as passable

I personally knew what you meant (I think?) Didn't mean any criticism….sorry aGent!

Just now, janisahockeynut said:

No, I think I understand it, and agreed, but wanted to say "elite", because some may not understand your "just fine" as passable

I personally knew what you meant (I think?) Didn't mean any criticism….sorry aGent!

Nope. You don't...:lol:

7 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Spell it out slowly then Pleeeasze! lol

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

He won't likely grow, and won't be as fast if he adds twenty pounds either. Likely he will play at around 185.

This poster ^^^ was complaining he won't grow (which is ridiculous IMO) and that if he adds 20 lbs, he will be slower.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Karllson was 1 inch taller and 9 lbs lighter (165lbs vs Hughes 174) when he was drafted and now plays at 6'-0" and between 190-195lbs FWIW. And his (Karlsson) skating seems just fine FYI ;) 

I noted ^^^^ that Karlsson was 9 lbs lighter and 1 inch taller when drafted and now plays 1 inch taller than drafted and roughly 30lbs heavier. And his (Karlsson) skating is still 'just fine' despite adding  that1 inch and roughly 30 lbs of muscle.

41 minutes ago, aGENT said:

This poster ^^^ was complaining he won't grow (which is ridiculous IMO) and that if he adds 20 lbs, he will be slower.

I noted ^^^^ that Karlsson was 9 lbs lighter and 1 inch taller when drafted and now plays 1 inch taller than drafted and roughly 30lbs heavier. And his (Karlsson) skating is still 'just fine' despite adding  that1 inch and roughly 30 lbs of muscle.

Totally agree with this. This kid WILL grow another inch or two and probably add some pounds. Doubt it will hinder any of his elite skating/edge work.

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

You bet...Boqvist could follow suit too.  The Hughes brothers should both be incredible players   but I think Karlsson good is a bit much to hope for.   The skating is comparable but the overall skill set not as much.   Hughes has good weight for his size at his age no doubt, if he can add two inches Benning will have done it again.

Archived