The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks extend qualifying offers

17 hours ago, Warhippy said:

OK curious

Does this mean with this QO that we will be in fact paying Tryamkin actual money, counting against our cap or????

Doesn't seem to have been answered.

No - he has to actually accept that qualifying offer - and become an actual contract for that cap hit to apply.

Qualifying simply means you retain his rights whether or not he accepts - which he clearly won't.

7 hours ago, Mattrek said:

I sometimes feel I must be on another planet with how high I am on Boucher. I watched him last season and he was always in the right place at the right time. That instinct can't be taught, you either have it or you don't. He didn't have much in the way of results, but 7 points in 27 games (0.25 PPG rate) is nothing to sneeze at. Especially for a wire waiver pick up who has never had a full season to get a rhythm in either the AHL or the NHL and is having to adjust to a new team.

He's been bounced between the AHL and NHL since he started playing professionally and it's almost impossible to develop properly while going through that. He needs to work on his speed and fitness, but his skill set and hockey IQ are very high from what I've seen. It seems everyone on this board however sees him far differently then I do. Personally I'm stoked they QO'ed him and I can't wait to see him at camp. He oozes potential and if he works hard this offseason on his weaknesses mark my words: look out.

Also Boucher doesnt belong in the same category as Grenier. Grenier is a soft big guy and didn't put up any points with us and was a defensive liability with his backchecking. Boucher put up 7 points with us and when he wasn't winded could take control of the ice as well as being great defensively for us. I can remember two or three distinctive instances where he single handedly broke up a dangerous looking entry by opposing teams.

I think my point is that Boucher is getting up there in age (for a developing player) and as such, he may be coming close to being consigned to the NHL. I don't doubt his talent, and personally I hope he makes it on the team, we need some snipers.

As far as the "comparison" to Grenier, there is no comparison. That was stating that Boucher could find himself in the AHL permanently, like Grenier apparently has now (and deservedly so). If he had just half of Labate's drive, Grenier would be scary. But...I wasn't trying to compare the two. You are definitely right, Grenier is soft, and that has become SOO apparent to one and all.

4 hours ago, JamesB said:

Yes, AHL teams can carry as many players as they like, although they have normal limits on the number of guys who can dress for a game (18 skaters and 2 goalies) and on the  number of "veterans" who can dress (maximum 6 veterans, not counting goalies).

As for Garteig, what I had in mind is that he would be signed by Utica and be assigned to a team in the ECHL then be available for call-up when, inevitably, an injury on either the Comets or the Canucks makes it unnecessary. The system definitely needs a 5th professional goalie available for that purpose. So I see the list as 1. Markstrom 2. Miller or other UFA 3. Bachman 4. Demko, 5. Garteig or other acquisition.

Ok, good. Given that, then yes, Garteig needs to stick around for his shot. He wouldn't have been signed in the first place if he didn't have at least some promise. If I remember correctly, he has been a slow starter at pretty much every level he has played at, all the way back to 14-15 year old hockey. Given that, maybe next year he figures out the AHL game, and makes Bachman expendable.

Thanks for clarifying on the roster limits!

2 hours ago, Father Ryan said:

I think my point is that Boucher is getting up there in age (for a developing player) and as such, he may be coming close to being consigned to the NHL. I don't doubt his talent, and personally I hope he makes it on the team, we need some snipers.

As far as the "comparison" to Grenier, there is no comparison. That was stating that Boucher could find himself in the AHL permanently, like Grenier apparently has now (and deservedly so). If he had just half of Labate's drive, Grenier would be scary. But...I wasn't trying to compare the two. You are definitely right, Grenier is soft, and that has become SOO apparent to one and all.

I think we as a fan base have completely lost the time table of how long players can take to develop and when players on average (that mean some take longer and some take shorter) hit their peaks. I blame the "we need it now" way our society has become needing payoff immediately on pretty much anything. Forwards peak on average at 28 years old. Boucher is 5 years away from that. He has plenty of time to figure it out, but I agree he needs to show up motivated in camp as there's a lot of guys fighting for only a few slots.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/when-nhl-players-peak-hockey-metrics-1.2646054

On 6/26/2017 at 4:33 PM, Lancaster said:

IIRC, QO will automatically means many players will be getting an automatic raise.

Choosing not to give out QO will mean you can negotiate for a lower salary.  

True. I can't remember the full details, but 10% raise for most, and there's a clause I think for a 5% minimum raise for a subset. Those we haven't sent a QO to we may still sign, just for the same or lower. Cramarossa seems a likely candidate for that, as maybe does Garteig if they feel they have room for him, but maybe Zalewski gets an AHL deal instead.

And here are the details:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restricted_free_agent#Qualifying_offers

Qualifying offers

The current team must extend a "qualifying offer" to a restricted free agent to retain negotiating rights to that player. Qualifying offers are for one year contracts. The minimum salary for the qualifying offer depends on the player's prior year salary.

Players who earned less than $660,000 in the previous season must be offered 110 percent of last season's salary. Players making up to $1 million must be offered 105 percent. Players making over $1 million must be offered 100 percent.

• If the qualifying offer is not made, the player becomes an unrestricted free agent.
  • If the player rejects a qualifying offer, he remains a restricted free agent.
  • If the player does not sign before December 1, he is ineligible to play in the NHL for the remainder of the season.
  • Of all the players mentioned (excluding Tryamkin) it looks like everyone is in the +5% category. Those not qualified could still be negotiating a deal for less, or perhaps for longer term (Horvat was qualified but surely will negotiate more term).

Archived