The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is there any hope of a middle ground on pipelines in BC?

JM_

17 hours ago, Hortankin said:

Just finished my electrical course in March and I am having a lot of trouble finding work with it. I've applied to hundreds of places with no luck. Can't believe I'm on CDC asking about this haha but desperate times call for desperate measures!

I figured the majority of CDC is BC and Alberta native so it's worth a shot.

I'd be willing to move out there if needed but with no relatives out that way it's kind of hard to just get up and move out there. That's why im hoping for a camp job, preferably a fly in fly out.. any info would be greatly appreciated!

9 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Are you in Vancity - try Houle Electric .  Go in and meet them in person.  I always say go in once a weeks for 3 weeks.  Show them you are serious.

If you are out in the Fraser Valley. Try Glenco Electric out in Abbotsford as i know they are just starting a big job at Royal Columbian hospital....

It's good King is giving job search advice since he's to blame for the minimal job prospects. Without pipelines, we lose to the U.S.    Look south for employment. 

Image result for saudi oil cartoon

2 hours ago, clam linguine said:

It's good King is giving job search advice since he's to blame for the minimal job prospects. Without pipelines, we lose to the U.S.    Look south for employment. 

Image result for saudi oil cartoon

What long term jobs exist in relation to a single pipeline?  Maybe a hundred. Maybe less. There's no economic sense for bc to have any. We get 0 out of it and if there's a major spill it's a huge negative. 

2 hours ago, clam linguine said:

Theres actually lots of job prospects. Out in the Fraser Valley construction is booming and pretty much every Electrical company is hiring right now big time.

Carpenters and plumbers are also in huge demand out here. 

Pipeline expansion provides next to no jobs and the risk to spoil Vancouver harbour with toxic sludge ( wipe out Vancouver Tourism industry ) makes absolutely no sense.

Too much risk for no reward for BC.  

They should build refineries and stop shipping out the heavy crude which is in rather low demand right now.  Creates more jobs and helps us better supply our own country that imports finished gas.  Also reduces our need on foreign buyers and an increase on shipping from a port that shouldn't face the increase in traffic for the low reward to high risk factor in play.  

BC is getting screwed here and I hope Horgan and Weaver use every resource we have to delay this bull$&!# as long as possible.  France just set a ban on gas powered cars for 2040....other countries will follow suit while green tech will continue to grow.  

Alberta can go &^@# itself. 

5 hours ago, LordCanuck said:

What long term jobs exist in relation to a single pipeline?  Maybe a hundred. Maybe less. There's no economic sense for bc to have any. We get 0 out of it and if there's a major spill it's a huge negative. 

5 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Theres actually lots of job prospects. Out in the Fraser Valley construction is booming and pretty much every Electrical company is hiring right now big time.

Carpenters and plumbers are also in huge demand out here. 

Pipeline expansion provides next to no jobs and the risk to spoil Vancouver harbour with toxic sludge ( wipe out Vancouver Tourism industry ) makes absolutely no sense.

Too much risk for no reward for BC.  

Canada's oil industry is like high tech manufacturing so thousands of permanent, high paying, skill positions are created when we are cost competitive.  The labour intensiveness of our oil means plenty of money goes to employees, while governments are forced to take very little through direct royalties. Governments and all Canadians still come out as big winners though, through income taxes paid, spin off jobs created for construction of pipelines and new oil sand projects,  and most importantly....getting jobs.

Making an industry from the meager quality resource available in proves Canadians are the the most ingenious people in the business, but that's not good enough anymore.  Now they need to beat the competition as the only jurisdiction on earth without pipelines. Sad.

People like Hortankin shouldn't have their opportunities stolen away and handed to Saudi and the U.S. on a silver platter.

12 minutes ago, clam linguine said:

People like Hortankin shouldn't have their opportunities stolen away and handed to Saudi and the U.S. on a silver platter.

There is lots of jobs in Canada that don't depend on moving dirty bitumen through beautiful Vancouver harbour and risking our Tourism Industry with a toxic sludge spill. 

No thanks.  Too much risk and nothing in it for British Columbians.  

19 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

There is lots of jobs in Canada that don't depend on moving dirty bitumen through beautiful Vancouver harbour and risking our Tourism Industry with a toxic sludge spill. 

No thanks.  Too much risk and nothing in it for British Columbians.  

Fine. Only Canadian Oil Sands synthetic will be allowed through Vancouver. That is the highest quality of light oil you can get. How's that?  Maybe Vancouver should shut down it's ports all together.  The amounts of dangerous goods threatening our beautiful harbour are staggering.  Many of us have been taught to fear only Canadian oil, it seems.

As far as nothing in it for British Columbians, please read my post.  Secondly, Hortankin is a British Columbian, is he not. If he got a job at Syncrude making $100,000 a year, he'd be a happy British Columbian.  I know many very happy British Columbians thanks to the oil industry.

On 30/06/2017 at 8:53 PM, S'all Good Man said:

But 1 billion for a new safety system - don't you see that as a reward? Think of all that other non-oil related tanker spill risk that it will help protect against. 

I do like the idea of a refinery somewhere around PG. 

For me, that 1 billion should be invested into the rapidly growing clean energy sector so that we don't lag behind, as being laggards will cost us more in the long run. 

The compromise, imo, is to create a plan of transitioning off of dirty energy and onto clean energy over the coming decades, which would mean a pipeline here and there, but also many more wind and wave turbines and solar panels everywhere. 

59 minutes ago, clam linguine said:

As far as nothing in it for British Columbians, please read my post.  Secondly, Hortankin is a British Columbian, is he not. If he got a job at Syncrude making $100,000 a year, he'd be a happy British Columbian.  I know many very happy British Columbians thanks to the oil industry.

As much as i want ONE PERSON -   Hortankin to have a great job ...... in ALBERTA..

I think we need to care more about  the MANY   ( 70,000 PERSONS  )  British Columbians working in the VANCOUVER  Tourism industry.

What would a toxic sludge spill of sinking Bitumen do to the Vancouver harbour.  The cities beaches would be fouled for many many MANY years....

• More than 10 million people visited Vancouver in 2016 – the highest overnight visitation in the city’s history.
  •  
  • Tourism contributes approximately $4.4 billion to the Metro Vancouver economy annually and provides over 70,000 full time jobs.
  •  

2 hours ago, Jester13 said:

For me, that 1 billion should be invested into the rapidly growing clean energy sector so that we don't lag behind, as being laggards will cost us more in the long run. 

The compromise, imo, is to create a plan of transitioning off of dirty energy and onto clean energy over the coming decades, which would mean a pipeline here and there, but also many more wind and wave turbines and solar panels everywhere. 

I have no issues with that at all. We need to see a lot more going into green tech. I'd prefer it come in the form of tax breaks for companies developing new tech vs. cash out as that will incentivize a lot of startups to find market successes vs throwing cash away on pet projects that the government of the day may favour. 

11 hours ago, clam linguine said:

to be fair I think @kingofsurrey is advocating for jobs, just in different areas. Pipelines are not the only choice. Harper tried that approach and it was a disaster. 

8 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

to be fair I think @kingofsurrey is advocating for jobs, just in different areas. Pipelines are not the only choice. Harper tried that approach and it was a disaster. 

I am more concerned with 70,000 people in Vancouver working in Tourism than i am for people choosing to work in the Toxic Bitumen Tar industry. 

Tourism is a green industry that is not harming our planet and will be around forever.  The tar sands are boom and bust and soon will not even be needed with advances in battery -  electric cars.  France just announced no PETROL cars allowed to be sold after 2040.

Volvo just announced they will be electric car only company going forward...

Time for BC to catch up to the rest of the world. 

KM Pipeline expansion is all risk for BCers with next to zero reward  for our province.

No thanks Alberta.    Find another way to get your sludge to market.   Why not build a west coast refinery that would provide real jobs /  for BCers  ? 

4 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I am more concerned with 70,000 people in Vancouver working in Tourism than i am for people choosing to work in the Toxic Bitumen Tar industry. 

Tourism is a green industry that is not harming our planet and will be around forever.  The tar sands are boom and bust and soon will not even be needed with advances in battery -  electric cars.  France just announced no PETROL cars allowed to be sold after 2040.

Volvo just announced they will be electric car only company going forward...

Time for BC to catch up to the rest of the world. 

KM Pipeline expansion is all risk for BCers with next to zero reward  for our province.

No thanks Alberta.    Find another way to get your sludge to market.   Why not build a west coast refinery that would provide real jobs /  for BCers  ? 

Two different companies, one builds lines, another refineries. 

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

Two different companies, one builds lines, another refineries. 

Yup, so lets  say no to a KM expansion for now.

Why would BC allow a project that has enormous risks to our BC economy ( Tourism ) with next to zero Economic benefit to our province.....  ?

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yup, so lets  say no to a KM expansion for now.

Why would BC allow a project that has enormous risks to our BC economy ( Tourism ) with next to zero Economic benefit to our province.....  ?

Well thats just it - I think the risk can be downgraded from enormous to highly unlikely and zero benefit can be upgraded to a world class marine safety system. 

What if we said no bitumen could be shipped until that marine safety system was in place and running? would that change things for you?

13 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Well thats just it - I think the risk can be downgraded from enormous to highly unlikely and zero benefit can be upgraded to a world class marine safety system. 

What if we said no bitumen could be shipped until that marine safety system was in place and running? would that change things for you?

Don't really trust the feds.  Look how Harper closed the Coast Guard  station in vancouver...   Really unsafe , yet they still closed it.

18 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

How many jobs would a  marine safety system create ?  Is it worth risking our 70,000 vancouverites jobs that work in tourism .....

I just don't see it as risk we should take for our harbour.   i guess i am just a NIMBY.

Sorry i love Vancouver harbour and vancouver beaches just too much i guess to expose them to the risk of a bitumen spill.  Bitumen sinks and impossible to clean from the ocean.....  Damage would be devastating to our harbour and to Tourism in Vancity. 

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Don't really trust the feds.  Look how Harper closed the Coast Guard  station in vancouver...   Really unsafe , yet they still closed it

thats why I'd want the system in place first 

8 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

How many jobs would a  marine safety system create ?  Is it risking our 70,000 vancouverites jobs that work in tourism .....

I just don't see it as risk we should take for our harbour.   i guess i am just a NIMBY.

Sorry i love Vancouver harbour and vancouver beaches just too much i guess to expose them to the risk of a bitumen spill.  Bitumen sinks and impossible to clean from the ocean.....  Damage would be devastating to our harbour and to Tourism in Vancity. 

I love the harbour too, I see it every morning walking my dogs. I count anywhere between 15-30 container ships on any given day in the area. We literally cannot deal with even a minor fuel tank spill from one of these, let alone a major oil spill from the current Burnaby depot. You have to realize that there is nothing currently in place for all of that KM or not. Adding in 1 bitumen ship per day, and thats all it is, with all the associated mitigation's also mitigates a disaster for all those other vessels. 

If you want to be scared, be scared of the total inaction on that front. I totally agree on Harper and the coast guard base, that was beyond stupid. 

3 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

Nah....It isn't a choice between pipelines and green jobs in any way.  Go get those green jobs guys.....fill yer boots. Harper wanted to do what was best for the country,  while the opposition had to figure out a way to win politically.  Now that Trudeau is in power...he too wants to do what's best for the country....to his credit. The difference now is the Conservatives are not so politically motivated that they would turn this into a political football.

If KOS had any concern about the environment he would be campaigning to stop the 4 tankers a day "toxic sludge" that are being dumped in the Pacific every day via the Victoria sewer system. No one is paying the Sierra Club big dollars to tell British Columbians to halt that atrocity. No money to be made there for big oil donors.

Archived