The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

This is why I quit eating Fast Food - Carl Jr.'s owner guilty of Heath and Safety violations

Tre Mac

7 hours ago, HI5 said:

You can eat fast food and not be obese.

If you consistently find yourself in a calorie surplus and don't lift weights or any exercise you'll be obese, even if you eat "healthy" foods. 

True. But I'd be incredibly shocked to find an obese person who became and stays obese by staying away from unhealthy foods and eating healthy. Not just shocked, but blown away.

On 8/26/2017 at 9:30 PM, CBH1926 said:

Of course eating in moderation is important, just like burning more calories vs. consuming.

This still doesn't negate the fact that the fast food is loaded with sugar, salt, preservatives and lacks nutritional value.

Not to mention that you are getting very low grade product.

Fast food isn't actually as bad as a lot of other restaurant food. 

For example, a lot of the noodle bowls at Earls have between 1300 and 1450 calories:

https://earls.ca/files/Earls-Nutrition-info.pdf

Meanwhile a Big Mac from McDonalds has 520 calories:

https://www.mcdonalds.com/ca/en-ca/about-our-food/nutrition-calculator.html

Even a lot of the food people cook at home is bad for you, assuming you are in a calorie surplus when you should not be. 

I'd also add that a lot of what we think we know about the effect of cholesterol, fat, sugar, etc.. on human health is garbage. A lot of our scientific knowledge is based on rat models, who have entirely different digestive processes than human beings. Rats are capable of converting sugar into fat (gluconeogensis), which humans cannot do. Rats are also capable of breaking down plant matter into energy (ruminants), which we cannot do. 

3 hours ago, taxi said:

Fast food isn't actually as bad as a lot of other restaurant food. 

For example, a lot of the noodle bowls at Earls have between 1300 and 1450 calories:

https://earls.ca/files/Earls-Nutrition-info.pdf

Meanwhile a Big Mac from McDonalds has 520 calories:

https://www.mcdonalds.com/ca/en-ca/about-our-food/nutrition-calculator.html

Even a lot of the food people cook at home is bad for you, assuming you are in a calorie surplus when you should not be. 

I'd also add that a lot of what we think we know about the effect of cholesterol, fat, sugar, etc.. on human health is garbage. A lot of our scientific knowledge is based on rat models, who have entirely different digestive processes than human beings. Rats are capable of converting sugar into fat (gluconeogensis), which humans cannot do. Rats are also capable of breaking down plant matter into energy (ruminants), which we cannot do. 

"Healthy foods" usually aren't as healthy as people think.  "Unhealthy foods" aren't as unhealthy as many believe as well.  

I remember some people kept sprouting on and on about how all that subway I was eating was crap.  Next day I bring a salad with the exact same ingredients and they say I'm eating healthy.... as if somehow combining them in a specific layout changes the whole nutritional value of it or something.  

I used to eat out all the time, fast foods, fancy restaurants.... I probably "cooked" like 10% of the time and most of them were probably frozen dinners.  

Ballooned up to nearly 200lbs.... then eventually I just decided to hit the gym, go jogging, take up skiing again, bike around, salsa, etc... suddenly I'm down like 20lbs... yet my diet remained the same (save for the inclusion of protein shake).  

Not saying you can train away a bad diet... but it's easier to do vs diet (IMO).

3 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

"Healthy foods" usually aren't as healthy as people think.  "Unhealthy foods" aren't as unhealthy as many believe as well.  

I remember some people kept sprouting on and on about how all that subway I was eating was crap.  Next day I bring a salad with the exact same ingredients and they say I'm eating healthy.... as if somehow combining them in a specific layout changes the whole nutritional value of it or something.  

I used to eat out all the time, fast foods, fancy restaurants.... I probably "cooked" like 10% of the time and most of them were probably frozen dinners.  

Ballooned up to nearly 200lbs.... then eventually I just decided to hit the gym, go jogging, take up skiing again, bike around, salsa, etc... suddenly I'm down like 20lbs... yet my diet remained the same (save for the inclusion of protein shake).  

Not saying you can train away a bad diet... but it's easier to do vs diet (IMO).

I saw something on TV about this, a month or so ago.  I think there is a professor who does this as an experiment, taking fast food ingredients and displaying them differently, and how that impacts people's perceptions.  Pretty crazy.

Archived