The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Hurricane?

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, inane said:

I'm not that interested nor do I have the education to really understand it all. That's why we have scientists. I tend to believe them. They overwhelmingly believe it's manmade, so I'll believe them. 

I know clam and maybe you think it's all a scam for money, that all these scientists from around the world over decades have come up with this scheme, but meh. 

This is what really makes me shake my head about CC deniers: The idea that professional scientists, many of whom have spent decades to acquire their expertise, would risk everything to promote a false narrative, for the dubious benefit of keeping their funding.

In a different thread, I posted statements from both NOAA and NASA that stated unequivocally, that Climate Change is real and that anthropogenic forces have accelerated both it's pace and it's severity. The positions of both of those organizations was written off by a certain CC denier who frequents these boards, because they receive their funding from the government.

Of course, now that Orange is the new Black, their sudden reversal of position is strangely absent....:unsure:

1 hour ago, inane said:

The CC crowd lol. 

You know, Stephen Hawking, Neil Degrasse Tyson, Michio Kaku....the "CC crowd"....:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

This is what really makes me shake my head about CC deniers: The idea that professional scientists, many of whom have spent decades to acquire their expertise, would risk everything to promote a false narrative, for the dubious benefit of keeping their funding.

Their funding is their career.

In a different thread, I posted statements from both NOAA and NASA that stated unequivocally, that Climate Change is real and that anthropogenic forces have accelerated both it's pace and it's severity. The positions of both of those organizations was written off by a certain CC denier who frequents these boards, because they receive their funding from the government.

No one doubts humans have had some effect on climate.  The significance of CO2 is the issue.

Of course, now that Orange is the new Black, their sudden reversal of position is strangely absent....:unsure:

It's early.

You know, Stephen Hawking, Neil Degrasse Tyson, Michio Kaku....the "CC crowd"....:rolleyes:

I hear Hawking believes in god. Interesting.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, clam linguine said:

Their funding is their career.

No one doubts humans have had some effect on climate.  The significance of CO2 is the issue.

It's early.

I hear Hawking believes in god. Interesting.

I love this idea that a few decades ago some scientists got together and hatched this climate change scheme so that they and future scientists could have a steady source of funding for their research. Lol

10 minutes ago, inane said:

I love this idea that a few decades ago some scientists got together and hatched this climate change scheme so that they and future scientists could have a steady source of funding for their research. Lol

More like people bought a theory in a flawed documentary.... and have been trying to justify it and manipulate it ever since.

Edited by clam linguine
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, inane said:

Lol yes al gore invented the idea of climate change. Lol 

Yeah....too bad that's not what I said...what a dreamer. Did Fat Al mention how CO2 is a trace element in the atmosphere? No, I don't believe he did.

Here's how your Climate change guru in Skeptical Science advises to handle this arguement:

CO2 makes up 390 ppm (0.039%)* of the atmosphere, how can such a small amount be important? Saying that CO2 is "only a trace gas" is like saying that arsenic is "only" a trace water contaminant. Small amounts of very active substances can cause large effects. 

Great answer, except CO2 isn't arsenic, it's a very weak greenhouse gas. Methane for instance is 30 times stronger.  There's been times when CO2 levels were 10X higher than present and glaciation still occurred. Really,  CO2 fanatics need to give it up.

It wouldn't hurt you to read this either Mr @Nuxfanabroad.

Edited by clam linguine
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, clam linguine said:

Yeah....too bad that's not what I said...what a dreamer. Did Fat Al mention how CO2 is a trace element in the atmosphere? No, I don't believe he did.

Here's how your Climate change guru in Skeptical Science advises to handle this arguement:

CO2 makes up 390 ppm (0.039%)* of the atmosphere, how can such a small amount be important? Saying that CO2 is "only a trace gas" is like saying that arsenic is "only" a trace water contaminant. Small amounts of very active substances can cause large effects. 

Great answer, except CO2 isn't arsenic, it's a very weak greenhouse gas. Methane for instance is 30 times stronger.  There's been times when CO2 levels were 10X higher than present and glaciation still occurred. Really,  CO2 fanatics need to give it up.

It wouldn't hurt you to read this either Mr @Nuxfanabroad.

CL,  You know me, I'm not the argumentive sort. No problem at all when people have the opposite opinion on these matters. Whether you & I agree/do the polar opposite, it don't change what I feel's in the cards.

I've read a fair amount on the topic, & feel pretty comfortable with the opinions/expertise of others that I subscribe to. I'm such a slow typist, get frustrated with the time it takes. But yeah..everyone's entitled opinion indeed. Simply feel it's gone beyond humanity being able to do anything, even if we could ever get our collective shyte together.

Have a good one, man. Let's cheer these bums on to a Cup with the time we have...

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

CL,  You know me, I'm not the argumentive sort. No problem at all when people have the opposite opinion on these matters. Whether you & I agree/do the polar opposite, it don't change what I feel's in the cards.

I've read a fair amount on the topic, & feel pretty comfortable with the opinions/expertise of others that I subscribe to. I'm such a slow typist, get frustrated with the time it takes. But yeah..everyone's entitled opinion indeed. Simply feel it's gone beyond humanity being able to do anything, even if we could ever get our collective shyte together.

Have a good one, man. Let's cheer these bums on to a Cup with the time we have...

Lol...yeah...no prob.

I do remember a few of your posts on the subject regarding land melting and releasing methane. Interesting and concerning stuff. (unlike anthro CO2)

• Upvote 1

Wow, pretty crazy if true. 

Puerto Rico: Power system 'basically ... destroyed'

Puerto Ricans might not get power back for four to six months, said Ricardo Ramos, the CEO of Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority.
"The system has been basically destroyed," Ramos told CNN. He said hospitals and water systems will get priority power restoration.

On 9/19/2017 at 8:54 AM, RUPERTKBD said:

So, from Harvey to Maria in the space of a few weeks....are people still denying Climate Change?

Gotta hand it to the Chinese....they sure know how to sell a hoax....

Climatologist Dr. Judith Curry: ‘Anyone blaming Harvey on global warming doesn’t have a leg to stand on’

Read the Full Article link.gif

Curry: 'Anyone blaming  Harvey on global warming doesn’t have a leg to stand on.'

'The huge amounts of rain are associated with Harvey’s stalled movement.'

Phil Klotzbach has prepared this list off Cat 4-5 U.S. landfalling hurricanes:

screen-shot-2017-08-27-at-12-36-35-pm.png?w=500&h=491

5 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2014/oct/21/global-warming-contrarian-paper-unrealistic-inaccurate

furthermore

Spencer wrote, "I finally became convinced that the theory of creation actually had a much better scientific basis than the theory of evolution"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Spencer_(scientist)

as for the video itself, he says it's a "relatively small minority" of scientists who believe in global warming. does he actually believe this? do YOU? when he discusses his 'published paper' he admits that it was met with "relative silence" -- now, you can take this two ways. the implication I think these two dummies are trying to go with is that UH OH, THEY SILENCED THEM! HE DID IT! but in reality, it's probably much more related to how the scientific community doesn't respect this guy, doesn't see a point in engaging with this retarded beliefs. but do occasionally (see Guardian article, see https://thinkprogress.org/climate-scientists-debunk-latest-bunk-by-denier-roy-spencer-8519f36faf77/). he does say though that the few responses he did get were all "attempts" at discrediting him, but he doesn't buy it because they're fallacious. give me a break.

Edited by GLASSJAW

Just now, GLASSJAW said:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2014/oct/21/global-warming-contrarian-paper-unrealistic-inaccurate

furthermore

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Spencer_(scientist)

as for the video itself, he says it's a "relatively small minority" of scientists who believe in global warming. does he actually believe this? do YOU? when he discusses his 'published paper' he admits that it was met with "relative silence" -- now, you can take this two ways. the implication I think these two dummies are trying to go with is that UH OH, THEY SILENCED THEM! HE DID IT! but in reality, it's probably much more related to how the scientific community doesn't respect this guy, doesn't see a point in engaging with this retarded beliefs. but do occasionally (see Guardian article). he does say though that the few responses he did get were all "attempts" at discrediting him, but he doesn't buy it because they're fallacious. give me a break.

Actually if you listened he said a small minority that think human activity play the biggest impact in global warming.  Most believe that man has play some role but not the majority.  You're crowed has run with this as 97% of scientist believe...crap.

13 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Actually if you listened he said a small minority that think human activity play the biggest impact in global warming.  Most believe that man has play some role but not the majority.  You're crowed has run with this as 97% of scientist believe...crap.

https://www.salon.com/2014/05/28/wsjs_shameful_climate_denial_the_scientific_consensus_is_not_a_myth/

• Upvote 1