The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gudbranson, Baerstchi for Makar and a 3rd (Proposal)

Rush17

Erik Gudbranson and Sven Baerstchi for Cale Makar and a 3rd please! lol.  Think Colorado would bite?  scrap the 3rd even.

Think Colorado might have any interest for what Baer is and what Gudbranson could be?  Would Canucks fans accept a deal like this?  would management put the team at such a disadvantage to lose Baer?  Would it be worth it?  Share your thoughts.  It may sound like a silly question but if we were out of it would it be worth it?

8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I would do that deal fast before Sakic had a chance to realize what a mistake he made.

No way, no how, COL trades Makar for those guys. The conversation would probably start with Horvat or Boeser plus...

Would it really?  Gudbranson isn't no chump.  A stay at home D man that sticks up for teammates and plays a heavy game.  He had an outstanding game in Flordia but hes been raddled with injuries and has struggled to adapt to the media crazy city of vancouver.  I think he would do exceptionally well on a team with a differrent system.  I think ANA would be the perfect fit for him but what is Makar?  He's been ok in the 2 WJC games hes played in this year.  Makar isn't a sure fire top 3 d man.  Baer gives them a legit top 9 bordline top 6 winger and Gudbranson a stay at home d man who has had some very promosing seasons.  And they are both still 25.  As we all know D often only get better with age esspecially for D of Gudbranson's style.  I would consider it.  But Colorado would need a strong belief in both players and motivation to make such a move.

15 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

If you were Colorado, would you do this deal?

Would I do this?  I think that would depend on when you think Makar will be nhl ready? if hes 3 years out? I would do it.  If hes in the lineup next season and can be a contributor I would probably wait.  But the added scoring and skill in baer and improved Defence could make Colorado a legitimate playoff team and potential contender if some of their other youngsters can step up.  No prospect is worth his weight in gold until he has proven he can play at the nhl level.  Right now Makar is just a young D man who has yet to establish himself.  Can you judge his value now?  I'm not sure you can.  But if u believe in whats coming your way. Gudbranson's intangibles and Baer's production are serious considerations if you were to move a guy like him.

One thing to consider is that Gudbranson will most likely go to a contender for a long playoff run. COL isn't contending for anything other than the basement.

Someone previously mentioned DAL as a possible trading partner for Gudbranson. What about Honka for Guddy? Both are R-shot D, Guddy is quite a bit bigger though (half a foot and 35 lbs) and 3 years older. Maybe DAL throws in a 3rd or 4th?

Sakic is looking to build around MacKinnon, Jost, Rantanen, Makar and Girard.  They were drafted 2013 and later.   They are not going to bring in older players when they are trying to get younger - was an interview by Sakic before the start of the season.  

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

One thing to consider is that Gudbranson will most likely go to a contender for a long playoff run. COL isn't contending for anything other than the basement.

Someone previously mentioned DAL as a possible trading partner for Gudbranson. What about Honka for Guddy? Both are R-shot D, Guddy is quite a bit bigger though (half a foot and 35 lbs) and 3 years older. Maybe DAL throws in a 3rd or 4th?

A contender with cap room to re-sign him would make a lot of sense.ANA would be a perfect fit for his stlye of play I believe.  Our new fast paced D style just isn't really that great of a fit with Gudbranson's play style.  He thinks and the moves a little bit slower then we need him too. I think Tryamkin would be better suited for our style as hes got a bigger stride and a longer stick. I could see Tryamkin fitting in this new style a lot better.  That isn't to say Gudbranson isn't a good player because he certainly is.  He has just been dealing with a lot of x factors.  Health, crazy hockey market, new systems that don't flatter his play style, being the only guy capable of sticking up for teammates?  

If Gudbranson was in a a better situation where he could play in a more calm market, with systems that better support him, and a team that can better stickup for themselves he would only do better.  It would give him more time and space to focus on his game and not all these other distractions and pressures.  I like Gudbranson I think he is a hell of a hockey player.  But the fit on this team just isn't there. I don't see the coach going and the team suddenly transforming into a tough team.  The hockey market won't change so its clear he is just not best suited for this city. makes me sad.  I'd love to have him here but he seems to be struggling with all these factors.

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Sakic is looking to build around MacKinnon, Jost, Rantanen, Makar and Girard.  They were drafted 2013 and later.   They are not going to bring in older players when they are trying to get younger - was an interview by Sakic before the start of the season.  

That then would mean Tyson Barrie would be likely more accessible via trade then Makar.  I'm not sure what I think of Barrie's drop.  What do u guys think of him?

I would need to look into Barrie's play as of late.  I'd be a tad hesitant to make that move I think.  What do u guys think? i havent paid close attention to Colorado or Barrie in a few years.

I wouldn't say this proposal is as lopsided as some are making it out to be, but I would say it's still a bit lopsided in our favour. Change the third into a 6th and maybe the conversation gets somewhere. Also, with Guddy being a pending UFA, his value is low to non-contending teams. If the trade involved a contract extension for Guddy, maybe it could happen. 

What bugs me a little is that Benning traded away our second 1st pick (McCann) for Gudbranson because he was so good in FLA. A giant R-hand shot D sounds perfect. Heck, there was talk of him possibly being captain material. Now there's talk of trading him for picks? Like, say a 1st? Geez, we just gave up a 1st for him. I do wish we could trade Edler or Hutton instead, because I think Gudbranson could be a very solid, physical player for the next 10 years.

4 minutes ago, hammertime said:

If Gud is traded which I hope not it will most likely be to a playoff team. 

What teams would best benefit from Gudbranson's playstyle though is the question?  ANA, LA, hmm..  

I'm curious if Jim is going to try and see what Erik wants come January 1st.  Maybe teams interested in him want to know what hes asking from the Canucks for an extension before a deal can be made. I would imagine any team making a trade for Erik would want an extension included in a deal.  If Jim has a few deals on the table it would be worth approaching Gudbranson and talk to him about extensions for a trade.  If its just 1 team and they backed out you would lose a ton of value trading him and he would definitely leave.  Are their any contract "rules" preventing Tryamkin from ditching his KHL contract and returning to Vancouver next season?  Or is he forced to play out his deal?  I'm sure VAN could pay off the remaining Salary as compensation to the KHL team but would that be required?  Maybe that whole orcale prediciton thing is partly due to the magical return of Tryamkin and the arrival of our new prospects!

11 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

That then would mean Tyson Barrie would be likely more accessible via trade then Makar.  I'm not sure what I think of Barrie's drop.  What do u guys think of him?

I would need to look into Barrie's play as of late.  I'd be a tad hesitant to make that move I think.  What do u guys think? i havent paid close attention to Colorado or Barrie in a few years.

I think Barrie (rather than Makar) is more likely. As for Barrie's points drop, he's got 27 in 34 games so far. That's damn good. Last year was an off year for him. For me, there are two obvious things to consider:

1) Barrie is 7 inches shorter and around 30 lbs lighter. Can the Canucks afford to give up size on D?

2) Barrie racks up the points, is a puck-moving D. Canucks need this type of player. I thought Stecher or Hutton could produce, but that isn't happening.

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think Barrie (rather than Makar) is more likely. As for Barrie's points drop, he's got 27 in 34 games so far. That's damn good. Last year was an off year for him. For me, there are two obvious things to consider:

1) Barrie is 7 inches shorter and around 30 lbs lighter. Can the Canucks afford to give up size on D?

2) Barrie racks up the points, is a puck-moving D. Canucks need this type of player. I thought Stecher or Hutton could produce, but that isn't happening.

That is some solid production for sure.  I'm not sure Colorado would want to move those points on the back end though if hes producing at that pace.  They would probably rather raise his value them flip him for 1 very good piece instead of 2 solid pieces.  Gudbranson could be a very good piece but hes having some off play in Vancouver.  It's hard to say.  It may work but not sure if they can sacrifice that offense.  Prospects would make more sense if his production is that stellar.

29 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Barrie is available but Sakic is looking for a similar kind of deal as for Duchene.  Young players and probably somewhat of an overpayment.

I wonder what Anaheim would give up for a Gudbranson, Baerstchi package.  Baer is on pace for 50 points and Gudbranson would suit their style of play big time.  Curious what goodies they got in the cupboard for trade ^^.  What would u guys think ANA would have to offer?

29 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

What teams would best benefit from Gudbranson's playstyle though is the question?  ANA, LA, hmm..  

I'm curious if Jim is going to try and see what Erik wants come January 1st.  Maybe teams interested in him want to know what hes asking from the Canucks for an extension before a deal can be made. I would imagine any team making a trade for Erik would want an extension included in a deal.  If Jim has a few deals on the table it would be worth approaching Gudbranson and talk to him about extensions for a trade.  If its just 1 team and they backed out you would lose a ton of value trading him and he would definitely leave.  Are their any contract "rules" preventing Tryamkin from ditching his KHL contract and returning to Vancouver next season?  Or is he forced to play out his deal?  I'm sure VAN could pay off the remaining Salary as compensation to the KHL team but would that be required?  Maybe that whole orcale prediciton thing is partly due to the magical return of Tryamkin and the arrival of our new prospects!

Vancouver Canucks could benefit from having a man of his ilk on the back end. I'm hoping for a playoff push next season, get the kids a taste. When the whstles get put away and clutch n grab hockey begins I want Gud clearing the crease. 

I'd like to see a trade of

TOR
Gudbranson + extension
3rd Round Pick

VAN

Kapanen
Rychel
4th Round Pick

Gudbranson ties together a fairly young top 4 with a steady, calming presence on their back end. Vancouver gets some skill and grit to fit the timeline of the new core. Kapanen and Rychel could both very easily step into the lineup immediately. Rychel restores the missing grit after the loss of Dorsett.

Next year:

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

Kapanen - Sutter - Eriksson

Rychel - Pettersson - Virtanen
Granlund - Gaunce - Gagner

I don't see Goldobin sticking with this team which is a shame, but he seems to never gain the favor of Green, which could make him trade bait along with Vanek at this years deadline. 

8 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I wonder what Anaheim would give up for a Gudbranson, Baerstchi package.  Baer is on pace for 50 points and Gudbranson would suit their style of play big time.  Curious what goodies they got in the cupboard for trade ^^.  What would u guys think ANA would have to offer?

Anaheim is back healthy and doesn't need those players.  Anaheim is about mobility - they already have Bieka and don't need Gudbranson.

Archived