The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canada's top CEOs earn 200 times an average worker's salary: report

Ryan Strome

20 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Take the proposed fast rail system being proposed between Vancouver and Seattle. That thing is going to create a lot of jobs during construction and then after with the increase in business and tourism that will result. Thats the sort of thing I'm talking about. No robots going to design and build that by itself. 

Not right now. But in 10 years? 20 years? It's not that far off.

Heck, even if it's not entirely built/designed by robots, something that used to take teams of 100's to design and thousands to build might only take 100's (or tens :ph34r: ) of real, live people overall 20 years from now.

The machines don't have to take over ALL the jobs to have a catastrophic effect on employment and hence the economy.

The technology already exists to basically have a large scale '3D printers' print buildings etc in place. Their a bit rudimentary and likely costly at this point but that's going to change exponentially like all technology does.

38 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

I am convinced JR is an agent for Cyberdyne Systems.

I welcome our new robot overlords. Can't be worse than Trump, can it? 

I hear what you're saying @aGENT I just see the gap in tech required to be a bit wider, probably not in our lifetime when machines are smart enough to take on the role of say an architect, vs. smartly pouring concrete. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

I welcome our new robot overlords. Can't be worse than Trump, can it? 

I hear what you're saying @aGENT I just see the gap in tech required to be a bit wider, probably not in our lifetime when machines are smart enough to take on the role of say an architect, vs. smartly pouring concrete. 

Teaches computer how to design new buildings and computer has access to entire human history of architecture not to mention building codes etc in milliseconds to draw inspiration and ensure quality/engineering. It then teaches other computers and they in turn teach each other any new ideas/solutions as they discover/invent them.

Computers can already write music indistinguishable from a human writer, what makes designing a building any different to a computer? It might even arguably be easier.

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Teaches computer how to design new buildings and computer has access to entire human history of architecture not to mention building codes etc in milliseconds to draw inspiration and ensure quality/engineering. It then teaches other computers and they in turn teach each other any new ideas/solutions as they discover/invent them.

Computers can already write music indistinguishable from a human writer, what makes designing a building any different to a computer? It might even arguably be easier.

it has no original aesthetic sense. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it has no original aesthetic sense. 

Same can be said about music. Yet...

And do we truly? That's quite arguable.

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

22 minutes ago, aGENT said:

The technology already exists to basically have a large scale '3D printers' print buildings etc in place. Their a bit rudimentary and likely costly at this point but that's going to change exponentially like all technology does.

Those things are incredible, and it's just starting out, so I'm sure we'll see more and more interesting things made with printers.  Of course the downside is, people can make guns and ammo from them too, so whatever restrictions get put in place on items like that are less effective with printers out there.

9 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Those things are incredible, and it's just starting out, so I'm sure we'll see more and more interesting things made with printers.  Of course the downside is, people can make guns and ammo from them too, so whatever restrictions get put in place on items like that are less effective with printers out there.

tenor.gif

Archived