The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks recall Goldobin from Utica of AHL

Adarsh Sant

21 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I hope the best for him and your points. 

I can tolerate a lack of skill and a win if the desire is there. 

That was the spirit of the ancient Canuck rosters, to me at least. 

For me, its always been that old saying about how it’s not whether you win or lose, but how you play the game.

Sport is as ancient as Man. The common denominator is will, or desire, but skill is what has eternally separated the winners from the losers.

Goldy has the skill, but not necessarily the will. I can’t see desire being something “developed” over time, like a maturation process, as you might be suggesting here.   If anything, I believe the inverse to be true in that regard. I hope you’re right, but I have serious doubts about his future as an impact player here. (We already have a few of his ilk as it stands and one more is two too many, IMO)

hard work beats talent that doesn't work hard.

bottom line.

however, if you can train, develop talent to work harder, then I can see the investment, patience in Goldobin, particularly considering that by most accounts he's made improvements and has had an altered role in Utica to develop his game without the puck.  there were signs of it in his short stint with the Canucks, as well as signs of inconsistency/regression at other times.

for me the bottom line is he is 22.  a fair amount of NHLers don't translate by that age/stage of their career.  he has some time, but not a lot - and certainly there is no time to idle around wondering if you want to work hard or not.  to what extent he's applying himself I suppose Trent Cull would have the best idea of. 

too much talent to be exceedingly impatient with though, imo.  I like that he's been assigned this year though, with a clear message that he needs to improve without the puck and show more engagement.  some teams / and people - have the 'play the kids' regardless mindset  (why oh why did we sign veterans when we could/should "play the kids") - I fundamentally disagree (you make room when the 'kids' earn it) and would have no time for a player at the NHL level that doesn't realize how hard he has to work.   That is what development leagues are for - and that's where a player belongs until he gets what it means to be a pro.

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

I am happy the Comets are getting it together and playing meaningful games. But I am pretty sure Goldy considers his call up to be something positive. I suspect that he is happy and excited about his call up and hoping to make a difference for the Canucks.

I am sure he is (even playing 8 minutes and being benched)...and on the other hand, if you ever played on a winning team on a role, winning can be infectious and fun to be around in any league.

2 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Got to play Goldoblin as much as possible and 'showcase" him. He is so soft in some areas and on this team he just can't excel, he can't carry players. But on a team that needs some scoring maybe they can get something back instead of him going to Russia for nothing. It might not be bad for him to go to Russia for a couple of years.

Blugh.  How about instead get writing something positive, like this Goldobins opportunity to shine and showcase why he's becoming an AHL star and proving himself invaluable to the Comets?  Instead thinly veiled threats we'd be better off if he went to the KHL etc.  Interesting thing, he's getting noticed as our hidden gem by THN, a little rough around the edges no doubt, but potentially a top six player given his age and his development curve.  Time to unleash that on the big club, who cares if his defensive lapses means Markstrom has to let his first few shots on net mystery goal to in, the truth is we don't know exactly what we have yet, and we'd look awfully stupid if he left and became something special somewhere else.  Maybe this isn't his year, and maybe he never will make it work....but there are equal or better odds that he will make it work, and if he does the Canucks could have a weapon.  He's better than he was a year ago....a top three prospect in SJs pool.

Archived