The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Was 2010-2011 a successful season?

Nucks89

6 hours ago, oldnews said:

I dunno

I just watched a few weeks of Olympics.

I saw an awful lot of people come second - or third......

I didn't see many people throwing their silver medals into the stands.

Most of them, correctly, realized it as an remarkable achievement. 

A few of them may have 'expected' to win gold - but in the real world it's quite often the case that Man makes plans, and God just laughs.

Losing is a part of winning, and vice versa.

It's all a matter of perspective.

But the mindselt that there's no difference between a game 7 loss - and missing the playoff entirely - is the mindset of someone that has never played for a Championship.

When the dust settles, not many people would have preferred not to be in the game at all.

And you had to win 15 playoff games to get there in the first place.

If being the highest scoring team in the NHL, giving up the fewest goals, having the best power play, and the best penalty kill - is part and parcel of a "failure" - I hope the team fails again very soon.   The last team to do that was the Habs of the 1970s dynasty, (in the pre-salary cap era.)

Anyhow, despite the loss I enjoyed watching all that great hockey.

There's more to it than the 16th win - or the entire show would be a complete waste of time for 30 teams every season.   That's not quite how I look at thngs.

First thing I remember after game 7 was just being proud of our guys for making it that far and to accomplish what they did that year. I enjoyed the experience and the road to it.

The followong  riots however made me feel immediately ashamed and embarrassed to be a fan and really took all the positivety out of that year.  The loss hurt, but it was really the riots that put a horrible exclamation mark to it for me at least.

21 hours ago, IBatch said:

Luongo was like Jeckle and Hyde in that series, posting two SO.  The team scored around ten goals and it went the distance which was remarkable.  We didn't win the Cup but it mattered, just like 94, otherwise we wouldn't still be talking about it .... Best and worst memories this franchise has ever had.

If the team scored 10 goals we prolly already won the cup they scored 8 in 7 games so literally 1 per game so u are not winning unless the goalie shuts out the other team every game. Ppl that’s saying it’s all loungo fault he can’t stop a beach ball. Well breaking news we still lose every game 2-1 coz we ain’t scoring more than 1 goal 

20 hours ago, coastal.view said:

i think you are cup half empty kinda person ?

not much can create joy for you ?

i thought all of the 3 cup runs were amazing successes

would have preferred a different final outcome

but they were fun until the last game

i'll remove my rose coloured glasses though

and try to acheive your perception of the world

No need to change your viewpoint. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Including me

I enjoyed the cup runs thoroughly but again it comes down to how you define success.

Were they fun for the fans, absolutely.

Did the city go crazy with support, damn rights!!

Did we beat out a lot of teams in the playoffs Yup!,

Did we achieve the last rung of the ladder. Nope and that's where i define success .

Achieving your goal is success. Part way to the goal is not success. Each and every year our goal should be to win the Stanley Cup. Its been almost 50 years.  We have not had a successful season as of yet. I love the team and have enjoyed their runs but they have not ended with a successful season as of yet.

19 hours ago, Nucks89 said:

Why are people defending Daniel Sedin for letting Marchand treat him like a rag doll? Seriously, what did Daniel have to lose from going ape you know what on him? After that moment, I knew it was over.

Marchand was a memorable moment for sure.  I didn't celebrate early like rumours management did...

3 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

No need to change your viewpoint. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Including me

I enjoyed the cup runs thoroughly but again it comes down to how you define success.

Were they fun for the fans, absolutely.

Did the city go crazy with support, damn rights!!

Did we beat out a lot of teams in the playoffs Yup!,

Did we achieve the last rung of the ladder. Nope and that's where i define success .

Achieving your goal is success. Part way to the goal is not success. Each and every year our goal should be to win the Stanley Cup. Its been almost 50 years.  We have not had a successful season as of yet. I love the team and have enjoyed their runs but they have not ended with a successful season as of yet.

like i said cup half empty

if the team improves next season

we can't say that season was a success?

so every year now 30 teams have seasons that cannot be identified as successful?

well i don't share that viewpoint

but carry on

you are entitled to your cloudy skies vision of things

2 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

like i said cup half empty

if the team improves next season

we can't say that season was a success?

so every year now 30 teams have seasons that cannot be identified as successful?

well i don't share that viewpoint

but carry on

you are entitled to your cloudy skies vision of things

I am entitled to my opinion and you to yours I will not take the bait and insult you for your thinking we all have our opinions

Every year we have to set goals, some small and some large, each year every team in the league has one main goal and that to win the CUP especially when you haven't won one for 50 years. Accepting mediocrity is why we haven't won a cup for 50 years. Half full well I am half full because i have never been satiated with a Championship season. Its like going to the Buffet but only eating the salad.Sorry they have not had a successful year yet. I look forward to the discussion when we have a few but not enough cups.

22 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

I am entitled to my opinion and you to yours I will not take the bait and insult you for your thinking we all have our opinions

Every year we have to set goals, some small and some large, each year every team in the league has one main goal and that to win the CUP especially when you haven't won one for 50 years. Accepting mediocrity is why we haven't won a cup for 50 years. Half full well I am half full because i have never been satiated with a Championship season. Its like going to the Buffet but only eating the salad.Sorry they have not had a successful year yet. I look forward to the discussion when we have a few but not enough cups.

black and white for you then

sweet

i see progress achieved in stages.. . each one of which can be viewed with a sense of success

life is a bit more nuanced to me then it is to you

success has a richer meaning to me then being applied only when the absolute pinnacle is achieved

kids understand this

but i think we are now engaging in trivial word play

so i'm done

have fun

Archived