The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 CDC Puck League

thejazz97

9 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

fLlMrYG.jpg

On behalf of GM @Monty, the Chicago Blackhawks are proud to announce the signing of:

Nathan Smith - 3 years, $925k

18 years after the Canucks drafted him, wowzah! :ph34r:

8 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

fLlMrYG.jpg

On behalf of GM @Bombastik der Teutone, the Montreal Canadiens are proud to announce the signing of:

Maximilian Kammerer - 3 years, $800k

Made up name. And I should know, because Maximilian Kammerer was the proprietor of the dwarven inn my D&D party stumbled across when tracking a colony of ice giants c.2002-2004. My character, Albert, ended up buying him out with all the treasure I'd stashed in his beard.

1 minute ago, Captain Azzy said:

Made up name. And I should know, because Maximilian Kammerer was the proprietor of the dwarven inn my D&D party stumbled across when tracking a colony of ice giants c.2002-2004. My character, Albert, ended up buying him out with all the treasure I'd stashed in his beard.

I need to get into D&D!

I heard this one guy who had a stealth character, but he put all his points into intimidation (I'm not entirely sure if this is making sense lol). So every time he needed to sneak by someone, he would just run up, shout, "YOU DO NOT SEE GROG!" and walk by them.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

I need to get into D&D!

I heard this one guy who had a stealth character, but he put all his points into intimidation (I'm not entirely sure if this is making sense lol). So every time he needed to sneak by someone, he would just run up, shout, "YOU DO NOT SEE GROG!" and walk by them.

One of my favourite ploys, and I used it more than once, was to put my points into charisma. I'd then work my magic on some stupid creatures (kobolds in Albert's case), then have them follow me like Ewoks and do everything for me, like opening doors, polishing armour etc.

Every time there was a battle I'd unleash the kobolds and while all the bad guys were distracted, I'd ponce around the battlefield picking off my enemies one by one. The surviving kobolds were always happy when their brethren died as it meant there were less of them to vie for my attention :lol:

And I guess I should say now, there are some dwarf-kobold babies out there in D&D land. Albert didn't discriminate.

26 minutes ago, Captain Azzy said:

18 years after the Canucks drafted him, wowzah! :ph34r:

I know, right? I had to make sure it was going to be a different Nathan Smith by copying link to EP just to make sure lol

3 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

We find out today if that was a good or bad idea. 

It was a bad idea. The guy hits women, what kind of GM tolerates that from his players?

6 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

We find out today if that was a good or bad idea. 

Voynov is one of the best defensemen in the world. He’s also a POS.

It’s a beautiful move if you look at it from purely a numbers standpoint. $3.5m is a steal for a player of his caliber. But if I was a player or coach or GM or President or owner of a team, and I could choose to not sign him, I wouldn’t. I wouldn’t feel comfortable with him on the team.

1 hour ago, thejazz97 said:

On behalf of GM @D-Money, the Columbus Blue Jackets are proud to announce the following signing:

CJ Suess - 2 years, $1.8m

On 2018-07-01 at 10:25 AM, thejazz97 said:

On behalf of GM @D-Money, the Columbus Blue Jackets are proud to announce the following signings:

Jonathan Kovacevic - 3 years, $1.35m
 Jacob Nilsson - 2 years, $1.1375m
 Tanner Jeannot - 3 years, $1m

Blue Jackets went into free agency with the goal of adding prospect depth on the wings, and at least one more D prospect. We made offers to 6 players, and are extremely happy to have been able to land 4 of them. Particularly Suess and Kovacevic, who we see as nearly NHL ready guys for a really good Jets team. Nilsson is also an interesting player, who may play right away. Jeannot is the most long-term of the 4, but he's a big guy who we could see making the Predators' bottom-6 in the next few years.

That pretty much finishes our FA fishing, as we're at 47 contracts and want to maintain some flexibility there (perhaps an unsigned prospect or 2 will surprise at camp). But overall, management is very satisfied with the current roster for next season. We have too many forwards though, so we'll probably look to shed one or two depth guys this offseason:

Brad Marchand - Mark Scheifele - Phil Kessel

Eric Staal - Nazem Kadri - Viktor Arvidsson

Patrick Marleau - Mathieu Perreault - Michael Frolik

Vladimir Sobotka - Matthias Janmark - Danton Heinen

Tim Schaller, William Carrier, Zac Rinaldo, Matt Read

Hedman - Niskanen

Orlov - Girardi

Cole - Benn

Brickley

Bobrovsky

Grubauer

Prospects (italics = unsigned):

C: Amadio, Pettersson, Batherson, Foudy, Chartier, Rymsha, Hebig, Dostie, Talvitie, Musil

W: Gurianov, Suess, Nilsson, Dzierkals, Luff, Drozg, Ferguson, Hutsko, Ahl, Smallman, Jeannot, Okuliar

D: Toews, Martin, Kovacevic, DeSimone, Stenqvist, Tuulola, Johansson, Nyberg, Phillips, Gordeev

G: Rittich, Ustimenko

Remaining cap space: $2.37 million

2019 picks: 5, 5(LAK)

2020 picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Azzy said:

It was a bad idea. The guy hits women, what kind of GM tolerates that from his players?

Personally, I hope he doesn’t get signed. Some actions should cost you privileges. This being one. 

But my fantasy brain says Hextall is dumb enough to do it. I honestly could see a lot of GM’s doing it. The league doesn’t even have a domestic violence policy for its players/wives to seek out.

17 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

Personally, I hope he doesn’t get signed. Some actions should cost you privileges. This being one. 

But my fantasy brain says Hextall is dumb enough to do it. I honestly could see a lot of GM’s doing it. The league doesn’t even have a domestic violence policy for its players/wives to seek out.

The reason I don't think it gets done (and its a good reason, if its done on first principles and not just to avoid blowback) is the disrespect it shows to any victim of abuse that is a fan of the team, and honestly to pretty much all female fans. Its a massively $&!#ty thing to do to them (which is why it shouldn't be done) and there would be massive blowback (which may be the reason it isn't being done).

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

Here's one problem I have with the Voynov "boycott"...

He did something absolutely terrible...once. His wife stuck with him though, and seems to have forgiven him. There is no indication that he has continued to abuse her. But since it happened, his ability to earn income has been impeded. This has no doubt affected the standard of living for his wife as well. So really, the continued "boycott" of Voynov is punishing his wife too. It is like a giant red flag to every woman who has suffered abuse, but wants to continue with her spouse, to keep her mouth shut. I don't agree with that.

If his wife has forgiven him and the abuse has ceased, let him earn his living. True, he may be at heart still a bad dude, but I'm willing to bet the same could be said of a lot of the guys in the league.

Edited by D-Money
  • Upvote 1

And (breaking news)... Voynov’s plea has been stricken if the record. Has no reason to have his Visa denied.

Next step is getting re-instated by Bettman. And with Watson and Varlamov in the league, I can’t see him not doing that. 

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

He did something absolutely terrible...once. His wife stuck with him though, and seems to have forgiven him. There is no indication that he has continued to abuse her. But since it happened, his ability to earn income has been impeded. This has no doubt affected the standard of living for his wife as well. So really, the continued "boycott" of Voynov is punishing his wife too. It is like a giant red flag to every woman who has suffered abuse, but wants to continue with her spouse, to keep her mouth shut. I don't agree with that.

If his wife has forgiven him and the abuse has ceased, let him earn his living. True, he may be at heart still a bad dude, but I'm willing to bet the same could be said of a lot of the guys in the league.

Varlamov of 2013 and Watson from last month being public occurrences. 

6 minutes ago, D-Money said:

So I don't agree with this, for a couple reasons. The first, is that this was a pattern of abuse for some time before things actually happened and he got arrested. It was a well known pattern of abuse. And in these cases, he has probably forgiven her dozens of times before - there was still a cycle of repeated abuse. 2nd, he only served 2 months in a jail nice enough you had to pay to stay in it, and then 3rd, he definitely violated the spirit of his probation - he went back to Russia, where where have no idea what he did, and got paid 4.5 million USD to play there. He just has not shown any sort of remorse for his actions, he has not received really any penalties besides having to go back to Russia for 3 years. Plus other things - pleading not guilty when his wife is in the hospital after having his head put through a TV? The dudes a scumbag.

I think the red flag for "society is willing to put up with abuse as long as your rich and a dude, and the NHL cares not for the feelings of victims and is willing to reward abusers" is a much more dehumanizing one. 

I'm sure there are other guys in the league who are scumbags, and shouldn't be employed. Nobody in the blackhawk's organizatin should say the name Hull ever again. But them being $&!#ty people doesn't give Voynov a pass.

• Upvote 3