The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Which NHL 2018 Draftee's are AHL eligible?

Rush17

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

Are these top prospects like Hughes and BT choosing the NCAA development route to get their degrees, or to become NHL players?  I think these top guys get their pro careers started this summer or next summer.  I think they went the NCAA route, because they felt it was best for them to get to the NHL.  

A large proportion of top US players go to college. And now a few Canadian as well, see Makar. I'll comment on non top players in a second...

Someone, maybe @Squeak can confirm, but I don't believe the USHL plays up until 20 years of age as do CHL players?  But the USHL is an excellent junior age league. I'm not sure if the program is turning out AS many good teams as the CHL?  But it is developing a strong % of top talent. Particularly the USNTDP team which showcases the best players, who get advanced coaching & training, compete together in the USHL. Then gravitate to college.  College teams have the top US stars, and a collection of 19 to 23 or 24 year old more mature athletes, also who have been training longer so bigger and stronger, rounding out the teams. It allows those stars to play against older competition, more gym and practice time because they play predominantly on the weekend.. Rather than riding the buses (the big programs get flights) and playing against mostly 16 to 19 year olds in the CHL. The top guys rarely hold out four years to sign multi million dollar contracts, just use the advanced competition, coaching & facilities of the big programs as a stepping stone.

A lot of the B players, 3rd, 5th round or undrafted guys, from Canada and the US go to college partly for the same reason. To extend their careers if not ready for an NHL deal at 19, but also get an education as a fallback.  A 4th round guy is rarely advanced enough to get a pro contract in his D+1 or 2 year.  Its those guys, if they have a huge development curve that sometimes go UFA after 4 years. Which is actually when they are ready.

Teams, not managed by Brian Burke, like their 3rd and 5th rounders, especially goalies going to college. Teams have to offer CHL players an ELC after 2 years, but can wait 4 for college players. Goalies are rarely ready at 19, so having them play against good competition till they are 22 is considered a great thing.  Compared against the minute amount of guys that bolt UFA.

11 hours ago, Alflives said:

Are these top prospects like Hughes and BT choosing the NCAA development route to get their degrees, or to become NHL players?  I think these top guys get their pro careers started this summer or next summer.  I think they went the NCAA route, because they felt it was best for them to get to the NHL.  

Depends on the person. Sounds like Boeser really wanted to get his schooling done. Not a bad idea, for life after hockey. 

12 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think many of them choose NCAA just because they are Americans.  

A degree is great, for the players that are long shots to play in the NHL.  But early first rounders should just sign.

Start getting paid.  

5 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

A large proportion of top US players go to college. And now a few Canadian as well, see Makar. I'll comment on non top players in a second...

Someone, maybe @Squeak can confirm, but I don't believe the USHL plays up until 20 years of age as do CHL players?  But the USHL is an excellent junior age league. I'm not sure if the program is turning out AS many good teams as the CHL?  But it is developing a strong % of top talent. Particularly the USNTDP team which showcases the best players, who get advanced coaching & training, compete together in the USHL. Then gravitate to college.  College teams have the top US stars, and a collection of 19 to 23 or 24 year old more mature athletes, also who have been training longer so bigger and stronger, rounding out the teams. It allows those stars to play against older competition, more gym and practice time because they play predominantly on the weekend.. Rather than riding the buses (the big programs get flights) and playing against mostly 16 to 19 year olds in the CHL. The top guys rarely hold out four years to sign multi million dollar contracts, just use the advanced competition, coaching & facilities of the big programs as a stepping stone.

A lot of the B players, 3rd, 5th round or undrafted guys, from Canada and the US go to college partly for the same reason. To extend their careers if not ready for an NHL deal at 19, but also get an education as a fallback.  A 4th round guy is rarely advanced enough to get a pro contract in his D+1 or 2 year.  Its those guys, if they have a huge development curve that sometimes go UFA after 4 years. Which is actually when they are ready.

Teams, not managed by Brian Burke, like their 3rd and 5th rounders, especially goalies going to college. Teams have to offer CHL players an ELC after 2 years, but can wait 4 for college players. Goalies are rarely ready at 19, so having them play against good competition till they are 22 is considered a great thing.  Compared against the minute amount of guys that bolt UFA.

There are some 20 year old  USHL players

14 hours ago, Alflives said:

Going to an American college as a good looking student athlete is also a time and a half. 

Also id rather spend a year or two in  a college setting in a city like Boston than a small town in Canada. 

Archived