The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Finding Joe Murphy? Ex-Detroit Red Wings No. 1 overall pick reportedly homeless

Finding Joe Murphy? Ex-Detroit Red Wings No. 1 overall pick reportedly homeless. 

thought i'd refresh the title since the topic ended on page 2 . I've read so many different stories on this topic a lot of them negative . my own journey into going as far as I could with hockey ,looking back the first unknowing thing was the sacrifice of my own education which ended in the 10th grade ,and then trying out for a jr.b team which had an  affiliation with the regina pats org, long story short , hit the wall 8,9 games in partly because of a mixed jr.b senior A league , so I took a 3 year hiatus until I was old enough to play on a senior A team , by this time the commitment to the game had lowered since the realization of going further wasn't going to happen. which brings me to young guys going JR.A , or college route ,in murphys case he did 1 year with michigan st. so an incomplete education . then theres a 15 year career in a much harder era to play that long in , then theres a marriage which no doubt took a financial toll, and then the successive  years after hockey, marriage failure  drug abuse steming from pain killers in an attempt to counter who knows what kind pain that involves from the  brain injury , bottom line some of these guys cant handle the income and the fame that comes along with it,  and then boom its all done, the marriage, the game, the commitment to the game  gone ,but the drug abuse continues ,and no real plan at the end of it short of being a family man raising your child with your partner ,which for him de-railed through complications from a injury sustained from his commitment to the "the game"  for me its not that hard to understand the "being on top of the world"to having it ALL  crumble in on you, and no doubt feeling alienated by everything/everybody that you knew and trusted would be there. and weren't.

On 2018-08-24 at 11:25 PM, gurn said:

He saved the country millions after the previous two governments screwed it up. Blame them for it, they violated Khadir's civil rights. Trudeau merely lowered the fine.

Wow, you really have no clue. 

Trudeau has been spending money since his first day in office with out any sense of control.

Also, his payment to that terrorist in inexcusable. That monster should have remained in prison or executed. He killed and caused a blindness to another. 

None of this was ordered by any court. Trudeau freely gave this money to the terrorist. 

Disgusting. Hate Trudeau with a passion.

2 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Trudeau has been spending money since his first day in office with out any sense of control.

Also, his payment to that terrorist in inexcusable. That monster should have remained in prison or executed. He killed and caused a blindness to another. 

None of this was ordered by any court. Trudeau freely gave this money to the terrorist. 

If only either of the liberal or conservative governments that were in power had actually put Khadr on trial, found him to be guilty, and then sent him to prison.

4 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Talking about no clue, The previous two governments allowed Kahdir to be tortured and held illegally, violating his Charter Rights. Be grateful that Omar and this government reached an out of court settlement. This could well have cost a whole lot more if it had kept going in court.

Your ire should be directed to the two previous regimes, conservative and liberal, that is where the fault lies.

Trudeau did not "give the money" freely it was paid compensation and avoided further litigation.

You may not like the law, but those governments broke it and now the taxpayer pays.

Hate who you want, I suppose, but be factual about it.

Archived