The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New look power play (sans Sedins)

Noseforthenet

30 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Good observation

Petterrson has been coaching his linemates on where to go and what to do....it will take time for his linemates to figure him out. I saw him drawing on his hand showing Goldy where to be and also telling the "D" what to do...everything will go through Pettersson when he is on the ice...because he is the straw that stirs the drink, he will get everyone on the same page (when his line is on the ice).  Chemistry takes time....and may come quicker with good communication. The best time to teach strategy is during a game...this is what EP is doing.

It’s actually pretty amazing and a statement to how special this guy is, that already the vets and other players are deferring to him on the ice as to what plays to make.  Getting him the puck seems the number one priority, the same way it was for years with the Sedins, especially during their prime (talking about the PP).  Boeser seems a little left out so far, it’s a low percentage pass for EP to make through legs and traffic across to him, Horvat and Edler need to get it there for him...but all is good (actually great) so far, and I’m sure Boeser will get his chances and make the most of them...good post.

9 minutes ago, IBatch said:

It’s actually pretty amazing and a statement to how special this guy is, that already the vets and other players are deferring to him on the ice as to what plays to make.  Getting him the puck seems the number one priority, the same way it was for years with the Sedins, especially during their prime (talking about the PP).  Boeser seems a little left out so far, it’s a low percentage pass for EP to make through legs and traffic across to him, Horvat and Edler need to get it there for him...but all is good (actually great) so far, and I’m sure Boeser will get his chances and make the most of them...good post.

EP uses his team mates....this is what the BBB line needs to start to do....Bo, however, is a bull in a china shop and he doesn't have the same vision as EP...this is why Boeser would do better with EP. The BBB line is more reactionary compared to EP who is more cerebral and will be more proactive (once his linemates are on the same page).

I find it so refreshing to see a powerplay without the Sedins on it. The same old pass, pass, pass, pass, lose the puck, shorthanded break the other way, rinse and repeat - is now a thing of the past. Yes they did capitalize on some of those chances but it got quite frustrating to watch, especially toward the end.

What excites me the most is that all of those prime opportunities that were spoon-fed to the Sedins will now be distributed to our young players who will lead us into the future.

5 hours ago, Pete M said:

EP uses his team mates....this is what the BBB line needs to start to do....Bo, however, is a bull in a china shop and he doesn't have the same vision as EP...this is why Boeser would do better with EP. The BBB line is more reactionary compared to EP who is more cerebral and will be more proactive (once his linemates are on the same page).

At some point we may see EP with Boeser, I agree with your assessment, Horvat likes to try and do it on his own, would do better using short little passes back and forth to gain entry and set up a shot...it will come though 

10 hours ago, IBatch said:

I think so too.  Dallas had a good one too their cup team, won a few Selkes.  Bergeron will be a first ballot inductee I’m sure but Rod the Bod deserves consideration given how good he was on CAR cup team for sure.    Don’t know why some guys get in where others are overlooked, like Vachon is in (not sure why) and Wilson is out still.  I liked Gillies induction because he was the best tough guy that could score too (call it a power forward), but think the criteria has gone down a notch the last decade and it’s gone from the Hall of Elite, to the Hall of very good, just to keep the doors open, a new ceremony every year and the interest high.  It’s a great place to go,  about the only thing I’d like to do in TO, but aside from Langway voters for both trophies and the HHOF maybe need to expand their minds and allow some of the greatest players that were good at specific jobs, not just getting points.

Id rather see some validation for a guy like Probert, than just going down the list to see who’s next on points and putting him in, or best chirpers that also produced at a high level (Linseman, Tekanan), maybe even don’t give them full status but add a section honouring those guys too.  Best defensive defenseman etc, Lowe warrants consideration for example, key member of the Oilers dynasty, all-star etc.

I was quite happy to see Vachon finally get in.  I thought it was overdue and gives hope for Vernon and Barrasso.  Maybe (hopefully) Hextall.

By Wilson, I assume you mean Doug Wilson.  LONG overdue.  Norris Trophy and 39 goals one season from the blueline (3rd best ever by a D-man).

Yeah, Langway and Gainey seem to be the only 2 modern players where points weren't an essential requirement (though Gainey could still score).

I actually like the standards being "lowered" a bit to include Housley, Glenn Anderson, Ciccarelli, Mark Howe.  I've always felt they belonged.

I suppose the sexual assault allegation won't help, but I always thought Tiger Williams was the best example of your "Probert candidate."  By far the career PIM leader, 35 goal season, NHL All-Star.

1 minute ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I was quite happy to see Vachon finally get in.  I thought it was overdue and gives hope for Vernon and Barrasso.  Maybe (hopefully) Hextall.

By Wilson, I assume you mean Doug Wilson.  LONG overdue.  Norris Trophy and 39 goals one season from the blueline (3rd best ever by a D-man).

Yeah, Langway and Gainey seem to be the only 2 modern players where points weren't an essential requirement (though Gainey could still score).

I actually like the standards being "lowered" a bit to include Housley, Glenn Anderson, Ciccarelli, Mark Howe.  I've always felt they belonged.

I suppose the sexual assault allegation won't help, but I always thought Tiger Williams was the best example of your "Probert candidate."  By far the career PIM leader, 35 goal season, NHL All-Star.

Yep Doug Wilson, he’s long overdue.  Barasso too, Vezina winner right out of high school hockey and youngest ever to win it, cups etc...the old guard might be over his prickly demeanour soon and let him in.   Clutch machine Anderson was a well deserved entry,  same with Howe and Dino (one of my favorites growing up little pit bull).   Since Bure and Lindros got in ive wondered if Kerr might get some interest too, he also was a dominant  scoring machine, especially on the PP, and if he played when PHI went to the finals it might of given EDM more than they bargained for.   Retired way too young, could have been a six hundred goal scorer if he had longevity. 

Williams and Hunter cut from the same cloth...But Turgeon would argue against one of them (another bubble guy).   

Osgood should get in too, he was great for them the last cup, and again the following year (and their front runner for the Smythe had they won), sure he was behind some great Detroit teams, but he was an important part of them and is one of only a handful of guys to get 400 wins, and has one of the best winning percentages of any goalie that’s in that club.   

Vernon went to three finals for two different teams right?  Did he win a Conn Smythe in Detroit too, can’t remember...he deserves some recognition, what he did to us in 89 just wasn’t nice...and even now (last game), people still use his glove hand as example of a great save in Calgary

(when Smith stoned Goldobin for what would have been a go ahead goal in the third period).   And is recognized more for his fight with Roy (a win) than his cup rings...at least according to him in a recent article in THN about him (he also admits that he’s really 5’7”, incredible Markstrom would have to make his net six inches taller and wider to make it even ha ha).

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yep Doug Wilson, he’s long overdue.  Barasso too, Vezina winner right out of high school hockey and youngest ever to win it, cups etc...the old guard might be over his prickly demeanour soon and let him in.   Clutch machine Anderson was a well deserved entry,  same with Howe and Dino (one of my favorites growing up little pit bull).   Since Bure and Lindros got in ive wondered if Kerr might get some interest too, he also was a dominant  scoring machine, especially on the PP, and if he played when PHI went to the finals it might of given EDM more than they bargained for.   Retired way too young, could have been a six hundred goal scorer if he had longevity. 

Williams and Hunter cut from the same cloth...But Turgeon would argue against one of them (another bubble guy).   

Osgood should get in too, he was great for them the last cup, and again the following year (and their front runner for the Smythe had they won), sure he was behind some great Detroit teams, but he was an important part of them and is one of only a handful of guys to get 400 wins, and has one of the best winning percentages of any goalie that’s in that club.   

Vernon went to three finals for two different teams right?  Did he win a Conn Smythe in Detroit too, can’t remember...he deserves some recognition, what he did to us in 89 just wasn’t nice...and even now (last game), people still use his glove hand as example of a great save in Calgary

(when Smith stoned Goldobin for what would have been a go ahead goal in the third period).   And is recognized more for his fight with Roy (a win) than his cup rings...at least according to him in a recent article in THN about him (he also admits that he’s really 5’7”, incredible Markstrom would have to make his net six inches taller and wider to make it even ha ha).

Put Zubov at or near the top of the list too.  He was otherworldly in Dallas, playing 30 mins a night and still managed a string of 50pt plus seasons in bottom of the dead puck era, and at 35 after the lockout and the new rules managed an astounding 75ish point season.   Early on he was NYR leading scorer in 94 I think, more than Leetch and Messier etc.  Was shadowed by Coffey, Chelios, Leetch, Al Macinnis, and later Pronger and Lidstrom, but was always an excellent offensive defenseman that was reliable enough, well to play 30 minutes a game in the playoffs and no way they win the cup without him (by their own teammates admissions).  Not sure why he’s overlooked other than he never won a Norris, never given the respect he deserved.

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Yeah Tim Kerr had the Hall of Fame in the bag if he had stayed healthy.

It's too bad how injuries can rob someone of greatness.  People don't talk about him, but Barry Pederson was on that kind of trajectory until he got hurt and we acquired him.  He was still good for us, but not the same guy.

13 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

It's too bad how injuries can rob someone of greatness.  People don't talk about him, but Barry Pederson was on that kind of trajectory until he got hurt and we acquired him.  He was still good for us, but not the same guy.

You bet, at the time it didn’t look so lopsided...

Its was great for the league that Crosby got out of his concussion and back on the ice, he’d of had the HHOF in the bad if he did have to retire, but another two cups and a couple Smythes cemetend his legacy as the best player of his generation...but I have a hunch Ovechkin has some Howe in him, and might play better in his thirties than his twenties, one cup so far and a Smythe to match, those two will end up top ten players when they are done, we have been blessed with great players after the best of the eighties guys retired...and now McDavid, Mathews, Laine, Eichel, Scheiffle, Kucherov, McKinnon, Hall and dare I say EP look to be carrying the torch for guys in their early-mid twenties....Dahlin and Svecknikov maybe too..

On 2018-10-08 at 11:21 PM, Kevin Biestra said:

Another fringe guy that I liked growing up was Nifty, three all-star games in an era it was dominated by NYI and MTL players, holder of four NHL records including most points in one NHL series (19), played 1000 games almost 1000pts, including 450ish goals, Rick Middleton.  Probably a tier down, but if he’d played with better teams his PPG a would have gone up.  Solid players, just not quite good enough...

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Another fringe guy that I liked growing up was Nifty, three all-star games in an era it was dominated by NYI and MTL players, holder of four NHL records including most points in one NHL series (19), played 1000 games almost 1000pts, including 450ish goals, Rick Middleton.  Probably a tier down, but if he’d played with better teams his PPG a would have gone up.  Solid players, just not quite good enough...

Yeah, I think he fell 20 points short of 1000 or something like that.  If he'd crossed over, then he might have gotten in, but that didn't help Brian Propp.  Yeah, Middleton was a very good player.  I'd have no problem if he were inducted, but I also can live with him on the outside.  He just got (or is about to get) his number retired in Boston, after all these years.

He's kind of in the John Tonelli, Reggie Leach, Bobby Smith, Steve Larmer, Dave Taylor category.

Actually Leach is in a different category, the Rick Martin, Charlie Simmer, Kent Nilsson, Tim Kerr category.  Clear Hall of Fame numbers for 2-4 years but then petered out before 800 points or so.

4 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yeah, I think he fell 20 points short of 1000 or something like that.  If he'd crossed over, then he might have gotten in, but that didn't help Brian Propp.  Yeah, Middleton was a very good player.  I'd have no problem if he were inducted, but I also can live with him on the outside.  He just got (or is about to get) his number retired in Boston, after all these years.

He's kind of in the John Tonelli, Reggie Leach, Bobby Smith, Steve Larmer, Dave Taylor category.

Actually Leach is in a different category, the Rick Martin, Charlie Simmer, Kent Nilsson, Tim Kerr category.  Clear Hall of Fame numbers for 2-4 years but then petered out before 800 points or so.

Good post, KB you clearly know your history, it’s fun talking with somebody that lived through that era.  So many very good to legendary players back then, sure scoring was higher, but the skill was pretty high too, and some goalies were actually up there with today’s standards, Parent (career SP of .919)  Dryden and Esposito come to mind.

9 hours ago, IBatch said:

Good post, KB you clearly know your history, it’s fun talking with somebody that lived through that era.  So many very good to legendary players back then, sure scoring was higher, but the skill was pretty high too, and some goalies were actually up there with today’s standards, Parent (career SP of .919)  Dryden and Esposito come to mind.

tenor.gif?itemid=4606499

Archived