The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Teacher Caught on Camera Punching Student in Maywood Classroom

Ryan Strome

11 hours ago, greenbean30 said:

I dunno, being spanked seems to have worked for me and my two brothers. As well as all of our friends while growing up.

My parents never abused us, I think I got spanked twice as a kid. They taught us right from wrong, and to show respect to people and to how to be a good person. But if we were to step out of line, we knew what could be coming, and that little bit of a threat was enough to make us think twice.

I was spanked as a kid as well....but I'm getting close to 60 and that's how things were done back then. I turned out okay, but the same can't be said for some of my siblings. (although, I don't blame spanking by itself for how things turned out for them)

Thing is, anecdotal evidence is pretty much useless, because we have no way to know what other factors may, or may not have influenced someones upbringing. However, there is empirical evidence (such as that in the paper that I posted) that shows corporal punishment is ineffective at best and harmful at worst.

As a counterpoint to your experience, I have raised three daughters to adulthood without ever having to hit any of them. Contrary to popular belief, they didn't turn out to be brats. (or any other adjectives that start with "B") Are they perfect? No. But they are all self-sufficient, well adjusted young women and I am positive that "sparing the rod" had no ill effect on their emotional development. Quite the opposite, actually.

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I was spanked as a kid as well....but I'm getting close to 60 and that's how things were done back then.

me too, I got the strap actually. But I was asking for it. I got caught in the vice principles office trying to get on the school roof, there was a ladder in there that led to an access door and little Jimmy was curious. I probably deserved it :P

47 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I actually got whacked with a drumstick once

Bonzo could be dangerous, but the one guy you didn't want to get hit by was the Canadian, Jerry Mercer:

image.png.4d41866ed975cea248ef9885669dba64.png

I've seen April Wine live several times and I have no idea how the road crew manages to anchor that kit so it doesn't fly off the stage....

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

me too, I got the strap actually. But I was asking for it. I got caught in the vice principles office trying to get on the school roof, there was a ladder in there that led to an access door and little Jimmy was curious. I probably deserved it :P

The strap was still around when I went to school, but I somehow avoided it. (My older brother did not. In fact, I think he might still have the Connaught Elementary record)

That being said, I distinctly remember being kicked by a gym teacher (a transplanted Aussie who's named escapes me) and I also remember a Social Studies teacher who went through several pointers (those 3 foot long dowels witha plastic end) per year, because he'd break them across the buttocks of assorted miscreants....

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The strap was still around when I went to school, but I somehow avoided it. (My older brother did not. In fact, I think he might still have the Connaught Elementary record)

That being said, I distinctly remember being kicked by a gym teacher (a transplanted Aussie who's named escapes me) and I also remember a Social Studies teacher who went through several pointers (those 3 foot long dowels witha plastic end) per year, because he'd break them across the buttocks of assorted miscreants....

pretty sure I didn't even tell my parents about it, it was just how it was. 

Bonzo could be dangerous, but the one guy you didn't want to get hit by was the Canadian, Jerry Mercer:

image.png.4d41866ed975cea248ef9885669dba64.png

I've seen April Wine live several times and I have no idea how the road crew manages to anchor that kit so it doesn't fly off the stage....

I didn’t realize he was so massive!?

is this the original drummer?....don’t recall seeing that large of bell bottoms on the album art lol!!

I was spanked as a kid as well....but I'm getting close to 60 and that's how things were done back then. I turned out okay, but the same can't be said for some of my siblings. (although, I don't blame spanking by itself for how things turned out for them)

Thing is, anecdotal evidence is pretty much useless, because we have no way to know what other factors may, or may not have influenced someones upbringing. However, there is empirical evidence (such as that in the paper that I posted) that shows corporal punishment is ineffective at best and harmful at worst.

As a counterpoint to your experience, I have raised three daughters to adulthood without ever having to hit any of them. Contrary to popular belief, they didn't turn out to be brats. (or any other adjectives that start with "B") Are they perfect? No. But they are all self-sufficient, well adjusted young women and I am positive that "sparing the rod" had no ill effect on their emotional development. Quite the opposite, actually.

I agree.  I got it too as a kid as I stated.  So did my brother.  I mean we infuriated our parents.  Within reason, whatever was laying aroun was used.

I have three kids now. I don’t do it that way.  If anything they have softened me right up :wub:

but it it definitely takes patience by all involved.

52 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I didn’t realize he was so massive!?

is this the original drummer?....don’t recall seeing that large of bell bottoms on the album art lol!!

Yeah, if you look at early photos, he isn't nearly as big. He started hitting the gym as his career went on and got huge.

I can actually relate. I spent the 80's on the road with a rock band and there is very little to do. My routine was, set up on Sunday (or Monday, before Sunday opening was a thing) find the local gym on Tuesday and buy a week pass and then hit the weights every morning at around 10:00 am.

It's the best shape I'd been in before, or since.

37 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yeah, if you look at early photos, he isn't nearly as big. He started hitting the gym as his career went on and got huge.

I can actually relate. I spent the 80's on the road with a rock band and there is very little to do. My routine was, set up on Sunday (or Monday, before Sunday opening was a thing) find the local gym on Tuesday and buy a week pass and then hit the weights every morning at around 10:00 am.

It's the best shape I'd been in before, or since.

That’s great!  You went down the road of longevity as a rock star as opposed to well, we’ve all seen it.

but that still doesn’t explain Keith Richard lol.

15 minutes ago, riffraff said:

That’s great!  You went down the road of longevity as a rock star as opposed to well, we’ve all seen it.

but that still doesn’t explain Keith Richard lol.

I think Keith died years ago....the message just hasn't made it from his brain to the rest of him yet....

2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Assaulting students must be the flavour of the week. Now a Nova Scotia teacher has assaulted a student and what's worse is this teacher has a criminal background, including assault on women.

What the hell is wrong with Nova Scotia? Why is this guy allowed to be a teacher?

I noticed that this happened in Cole Harbour. I wonder if Sid or Nate ever had any run-ins with this guy?

Might explain why Crosby is so annoyed all the time...B)

Archived