The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2 day care workers are charged after child 'fight club' video surfaces

nuckin_futz

2 day care workers are charged after child 'fight club' video surfaces

Arrests made after this child 'fight club' video surfaced 01:16

(CNN)Two day care workers in St. Louis have been charged with crimes after a 2016 video of a "fight club" featuring young children surfaced, a court official said.

The children were 3 and 4 years old, St. Louis Circuit Attorney Kim Gardner's spokeswoman, Susan Ryan, told CNN Wednesday.

Mickala Guliford, 28, and Tena Dailey, 22, were charged with endangering the welfare of a child, a felony, according to probable cause statements from prosecutors.

181107104032-mickala-guliford-tena-daile

The women directed at least six children to have fistfights, the state alleges, noting that the children wore a padded glove and used it to hit each other's heads and bodies.

Video shows at least six children fighting over 35 minutes, according to prosecutors.

A child who had just fought is seen crying on video, the document says.

Still, the women encouraged and supervised the fighting, and one woman is seen "jumping up and down with excitement," it states.

The alleged incident happened on December 7, 2016, the birthday of a child identified in the document as C.L. He suffered red marks and swelling on his face and forehead and a black eye, prosecutors say.

CNN has been unable to reach the women and the day care center, Adventure Learning Center.

The two teachers were fired immediately, CNN affiliate KPLR reported. The prosecutor's office launched an investigation after the video aired recently on KPLR,
A 10-year-old recorded the incident on video on his iPad, the station said. He was with older kids in the next room and worried about his little brother, who was crying after three fights. He texted the video to his mother, who called the day care center.

Guess no one heard about rule #1 of Fight Club.

The Original post is showing up with a formatting error on my devices. So just going to re-post a bit of it to make sure.

The women directed at least six children to have fistfights, the state alleges, noting that the children wore a padded glove and used it to hit each other's heads and bodies.

Video shows at least six children fighting over 35 minutes, according to prosecutors.

A child who had just fought is seen crying on video, the document says.

Still, the women encouraged and supervised the fighting, and one woman is seen "jumping up and down with excitement," it states.

The alleged incident happened on December 7, 2016, the birthday of a child identified in the document as C.L. He suffered red marks and swelling on his face and forehead and a black eye, prosecutors say.

CNN has been unable to reach the women and the day care center, Adventure Learning Center.

The two teachers were fired immediately, CNN affiliate KPLR reported. The prosecutor's office launched an investigation after the video aired recently on KPLR,
A 10-year-old recorded the incident on video on his iPad, the station said. He was with older kids in the next room and worried about his little brother, who was crying after three fights. He texted the video to his mother, who called the day care center.

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

Nobody really wonders.  Parts of the US are not good places to be and are full of people that blame the rest of the world for their troubles.

Having 3 year olds duke it out does not relieve any stress....it causes stress to not only the children but to the parents. There are far better ways to teach coping skills without having to resort to violence. So you are saying the teachers are blaming others for their troubles so they have children fight to solve them? Sorry, I'm not understanding what you mean by that statement.

12 minutes ago, Just1CupBeforeIDie said:

and they wonder why there's so much violence in America...

3 minutes ago, Just1CupBeforeIDie said:

Having 3 year olds duke it out does not relieve any stress....it causes stress to not only the children but to the parents. There are far better ways to teach coping skills without having to resort to violence. So you are saying the teachers are blaming others for their troubles so they have children fight to solve them? Sorry, I'm not understanding what you mean by that statement.

I'm saying nobody really wonders why, as you put it above, there's so much violence in the US. 

How did you read into it anymore than that especially considering my earlier post?

13 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Sadly I've seen this story repeat itself much more than once over the years....

The St. Louis area seems to be getting crappier by the year.

9 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Sadly I've seen this story repeat itself much more than once over the years....

The St. Louis area seems to be getting crappier by the year.

I don't think this has anything to do with a 'crappy area'...it's lack of education perhaps or lack of empathy skills or being desensitized to violence. My car broke down in East St. Louis at midnight. I was alone and 20 years old. A nice black man helped me get my car started. He wouldn't take money or beer , nothing. I don't think this has anything to do with the city or area it took place in...it was the teachers. This couldve happened anywhere.

1 minute ago, Just1CupBeforeIDie said:

I don't think this has anything to do with a 'crappy area'...it's lack of education perhaps or lack of empathy skills or being desensitized to violence. My car broke down in East St. Louis at midnight. I was alone and 20 years old. A nice black man helped me get my car started. He wouldn't take money or beer , nothing. I don't think this has anything to do with the city or area it took place in...it was the teachers. This couldve happened anywhere.

1. Your "evidence" is anecdotal.

2.  It does happen anywhere.  Hence why I said, " Sadly I've seen this story repeat itself much more than once over the years."

Just now, SabreFan1 said:

1. Your "evidence" is anecdotal.

2.  It does happen anywhere.  Hence why I said, " Sadly I've seen this story repeat itself much more than once over the years."

The part I'm not understanding is where you stated people blame the world for their problems...not sure what that has to do with this.

1 minute ago, Just1CupBeforeIDie said:

The part I'm not understanding is where you stated people blame the world for their problems...not sure what that has to do with this.

If I get into that discussion with you we will derail this entire thread.  I've had this same discussion with others on CDC in the past.

3 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

If I get into that discussion with you we will derail this entire thread.  I've had this same discussion with others on CDC in the past.

So why bring it up then? It has nothing to do with kids fighting in a daycare encouraged by teachers. I was curious as to why you brought that up...then you say it will derail the thread? 

5 minutes ago, Just1CupBeforeIDie said:

Fight clubs in daycares ? This is a story repeated over the years?

Here's an article that lists only 3 recent ones.  There are plenty more.  Just Google search it at .com and not .ca  2 more, on top of those 3, that I can think of off of the top of my head were in Virginia and New York.

https://www.nj.com/union/index.ssf/2015/09/3_other_daycare_fight_clubs.html

Archived