The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Richard Bachman looks done

Matt_T83

16 minutes ago, krutovsdonut said:

it was always a questionable idea for bachman to be 3rd in nhl depth next year, and the last nhl start just emphasized it.  with demko having had a major concussion and now not necessarily the nhl back up next season everything is up in the air.  dipietro is not going to be an option.  they really need to get a better goalie in bachman's role.

That is why it didn't make sense to sign Bachman to a two year extension this year. Because if the plan is to not resign Nilsson then next year Markstrom and Demko are in the NHL with Bachman being #3 on the depth chart and DiPietro #4.  There are always better depth goalies available in free agency than Bachman so why lock him up for two years?

Chances are DiPietro will struggle early with his initial jump to the AHL...most rookie goalies do. The AHL is a wake up call for young goalies just look at the struggles Carter Hart is having this year and even more surprising Ilya Samsonov.  

I wouldn't be against a UFA goalie to push everyone down a rung. 

Bobrovsky

Markstrom

Demko

Bachman

Would be ideal for next year if JB can pull it off. Demko will inevitably get his games in due to injury. Markstrom can be moved out if Demko takes a big enough step forward this year and is ready to be a backup.

11 hours ago, Chronic.Canucks.Fan said:

I wouldn't be against a UFA goalie to push everyone down a rung. 

Bobrovsky

Markstrom

Demko

Bachman

Would be ideal for next year if JB can pull it off. Demko will inevitably get his games in due to injury. Markstrom can be moved out if Demko takes a big enough step forward this year and is ready to be a backup.

Depends on term. Don't want to have to sign an ageing goaltender for to long at to high of a cap hit

38 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Depends on term. Don't want to have to sign an ageing goaltender for to long at to high of a cap hit

If the Canucks were able to acquire Bobrovsky, Bachman might be pushed down to the ECHL next year if Dipietro makes the jump and backs up Demko.

I don't see the Canucks being able to woo Bobrovsky though.  He's going to be looking for term and I don't think the team will have the stomach to give him that unless they don't feel that Demko will be a #1 or if they're confident that they're entering a window of opportunity for their young players to make a run.

it's not unrealistic to suppose the canucks might look for a number one or 1a to challenge or replace markstrom unless demko plays lights out from now on.  i personally think marky will be strong with a strong team but he is getting ventilated this year and although a lot of the goals are not his fault that has a way of hurting your resume.  same thing with this lengthy hiccup with demko and the drama about the plane flight.  it is the kind of thing that, rightly or wrongly, gets a gm thinking about whether to bet on a player.

1 hour ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

If the Canucks were able to acquire Bobrovsky, Bachman might be pushed down to the ECHL next year if Dipietro makes the jump and backs up Demko.

I don't see the Canucks being able to woo Bobrovsky though.  He's going to be looking for term and I don't think the team will have the stomach to give him that unless they don't feel that Demko will be a #1 or if they're confident that they're entering a window of opportunity for their young players to make a run.

Only NHL contracted players on an ELC can be sent to the ECHL without having the player agree to the assignment.  I don't see that happening.

Archived