The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Penguins re-sign Jake Guentzel

1 hour ago, Monty said:

An agent and PPG will most certainly argue otherwise.

Maybe but this is the same agent as Guentzel apparently and Guentzel isn't far off. As much as agents want more money, it comes down to the player themselves as well on what they're willing to accept. I don't see Boeser sitting out and playing hard ball here and I don't think Nylander's agent forced him to wait it out, but rather Nylander agreeing that this would be the best option to maximize his contract. Nylander wanted a NTC which wasn't allowed in the rules and has pretty much made himself untradable without retention.

Pastrnak is another example of a PPG guy that is paid below 7 million. Nylander is the only example where a 60 point player got the contract that he did as an RFA whereas there are several other players that are at a more reasonable number. If some are arguing that Boeser has less support than Guentzel, then that only makes the Nylander contract look even worse as well, so I only hope the Nylander deal is just an anomaly (that hurts Toronto) instead of the new standard.

I don't know how this thread became about Boeser

But equally strange is the impression that this is too much money for Guentzel.

The guy has 33 points - 30 of them are at even strength (only 3 pp pts) - .72 ppg through 3 seasons -  and 42 pts in 37 career playoff games.

Great deal for Pittsburgh in both cap and term - Guentzel obviously likes playing there and was willing to take a team-friendly deal. 

On 12/27/2018 at 11:35 PM, coryberg said:

Guentzal .33 goals/game  .72 points/game

With crosby and the high flying penguins

At age 24

Vs.

Boeser     .46 goals/game  .86 points/game

With the 2017-19 canucks

At age 21

Why not?

If not for the playoff performances, comparing Guentzel to be of equal to Brock doesn't make much sense to me.

Guentzel is a very good player but i don't know how much of his insane playoff performance is due to playing with stars like Crosby. Opponents have their hands full with Crosby, allowing guentzel a space and time to work with. 

5 hours ago, khay said:

If not for the playoff performances, comparing Guentzel to be of equal to Brock doesn't make much sense to me.

Guentzel is a very good player but i don't know how much of his insane playoff performance is due to playing with stars like Crosby. Opponents have their hands full with Crosby, allowing guentzel a space and time to work with. 

Guentzel is getting it done. It's not like there are 4 players draped on Crosby all night. The top defenders and maybe a checking line are on the ice against him and these guys aren't letting him walk in all alone. He may be benefiting from Crosby, but give Guentzel credit for finding chemistry with him and sometimes players don't click.

Archived