The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Positive Analysis, With 25 Games Remaining

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

On 1/22/2019 at 2:30 AM, Nuxfanabroad said:

We've all cited the Nov health, as one of the season's main points of frustration.

What if we had been healthy straight through to this juncture?

I think it's fair to imagine we'd be in the SJ, Vegas range, in terms of points.

So could it be argued that it's actually better, as things have gone?

1- We learned of the org's depth. Past yr's it would've sunk us..now we can hold on. Next yr we'll probably be even deeper, & more capable should a host of injuries hit.

2- We could see they're absolutely buying into what TG's preaching..playing hard for each other. There's trust & commitment.

3- The injuries gave opportunity to really see if some 'bubble' youth are gonna cut the mustard. Could try diff lines/combos/sp teams that we wouldn't have, if healthy. Even on the farm different players were leaned on(some heavily) which should pay dividends down the road.

4- There's a 'sink or swim' element, that's not easy to pinpoint or quickly define. I'd say around the holidays this team passed through it, & kept on swimming. Can't measure the individual growth, but many younger players must have learned/gained from the extra challenge.

*****************************************************************:::                             *********************************************************************

Appears JB & TG have developed something pretty unique & impressive.

A large chunk of this is probably attributable to drafting great kids(strong character skills). Then add the benefit of respected leadership vets to emulate. From past vets(esp twins) to some good guys they've brought in through Fr.agency & trades.

A great number of franchises do the yo yo dance..up 1 yr, fall back, then up again, etc...(Avs, Devs, maybe best recent examples).

From this group, believe we're going to see a steady, yr on yr progression, all the way to a developed, deep contender. As a final bonus, they have the books(cap scenario) in pretty nice shape. There's plenty room, as the top ELC's upgrade contracts; additionally appears JB's drafting will keep further waves of ELC's arriving like clockwork.

From 2013~2018 it was a tough slog. But they've built it right.

I commended the writer this post written a year ago could easily be written today and still have the same relevence

3 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

This is to negative for a positive thread so here goes my best spin for Sutter

He is on pace for 19 goals this season, his goals per game .23%

Every 4 game we can expect him to score I call that depth scoring and 19 goals is pretty good for a bottom 6 guy

So you spin things from a year ago....whatever 

10 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

What the F is this

Have you looked at Bo's game log recently have you watched the games at all

Since Dec 19th til now

18 pts in 16 games

8 goals 10 assists

If that is a slow down Just WOW speechless any one who could say this is a good assessment or even write this must not follow the team

Ha ha hilarious!

Edited by IBatch
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Because of my silliness I will not clear any of my posts feel free to give me your best shot

Humiliate me at will especially those that I quoted

Free shots for everyone

Ok thanks Arrow - my coffee almost launched out of my nose - my last reply was when I read your quote questioning my post - then I scrolled back and saw that you had replied to 8-9 others too, from last year, some in total agreement with, others not so much, and others saying what the heck is going on...the clues in my post and the other you replied to was we also mentioned Bear and Goldy...that's ok - your a good sport, and in spirit of honesty when I first saw this thread I felt like was in the twilight zone and was going to make a reply to particularly weird one when I caught on about the dates...kudos for not editing these for our entertainment.   

Last year the division was weak, the weakest in fact.   Now with Van, EDM and ARI one the rise it's arguably the first or second strongest (so far)....cheers. 

• Cheers 2

20 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Who in the pacific can't the Canucks beat, That's the first round unless they win the Division and the Central team is a wild card spot, but that means the Canucks get home ice advantage and you might want to look at their record on home ice.

Who In the Central can't they beat, If they are Division winners or even in the top 3 we are most likely not going to meet a top Central team till the Conference final and if we get to the Conference final I would say that is a deep run.

So there you have it the Canucks path to a deep run at least to the conference final and after that it's all 50-50 odds a hot goalie and They make it to the Cup final

A few lucky bounces and the Canucks have a Stanley Cup.

At this point tough to say.

In a seven game series I'd bet on St. Louis. Against a run and gun like Vegas, not sure - although I think we have better structure than Vegas.

Run and gun against the Avs I'd take Mackinnon - though the Canucks may be able to muscle out a win in a seven game series.

As far as the rest of the Pacific - Calgary has a better rounded back end - up front I'd say we're more playoff like on our top end.

Looking forward to see how they match up against Boston on this coming road trip.

On 1/31/2020 at 6:45 AM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Love what JB has done to this info, in JUST 1 yr! We've leapfrogged the last 3 teams you listed here. In truth, wouldn't trade our 50 contracts with ANY of those teams that were rated so high, just one yr back...

No doubt. Hard to believe that was a year ago. SJ has fallen off a cliff - losing three centres will do that, and WINN has lost their back end.

Adding Miller up front and Hughes on the back end has made a tonne of difference. Not too mention, last year Stetch was in the top four, this year he's 5/6.

It's hard to pin-point the biggest difference this year. I look at:

1) A better rounded d-core.

2) Continued, if not better goaltending

3) Emergence of a couple younger guys (Virt and Adam)

4) All-star play of Miller

5)Hughes on the back end.

6) Loui Erikson legitimately in the top six!

7) Face-offs!!!

Is this a Cinderella year?

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2019 at 2:35 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Part 2:

57gp  W25-L25-7

- If we'd known we'd be a .500 team at mid-Feb(say, after training camp), bet 95% of CDC'ers would've grabbed it.

- Injuries have again been a prob, but a few cases could've been far worse(touch wood..not bothering with names!)

- Our top prospects from 2018 draft have been trending beautifully

- The summer FA's have mostly been a blessing. Have to accept some Schaller, Gag busts, in order to land some good ones too.

Now finally, looks like we'll get to see some semblance of a seriously youth-laden lineup, that many posters wanted from the get-go.

There are 2 wks until TDL, so we can do further tweaking to this evolving roster. Hopefully some extra assets can land us more picks.

Last 25 games should(at the very least) be good entertainment/roster-insight for the coming seasons.

Bump these stats from last season. Nice yr on yr progression. Precisely 10 pts gained at mid-Feb, & lookin' good.