The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Positive Analysis, With 25 Games Remaining

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

8 hours ago, 2009cupchamps said:

So the injuries caught up to the Canucks and we went on a slide of 13 games where we only got 3 possible points of 26 (0.115 winning percentage). Take away those 13 games we have gotten 49 points in the other 37 games (0.755 winning percentage). So if we keep the same winning percentage of 0.755 for the next 32 games. That will give us another 48 points. 100 point season, and with the weakness of the rest of the conference I expect that 94 points will get us in, so all we need to do is continue at a 0.666 winning percentage which is less than we have been playing at most of the year. With the improved home and travel schedule for the second half and the health of the team presently, I can't see why we can't get in.

The number of the beast!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, CptCanuck16 said:

The composition of this team right now is reminding me alot of the '94 Canucks who barely squeeked into the playoffs but then went on to challenge for the Cup in the Finals.

You've got your exciting offensive player who can seemingly score at will (Petterson vs Bure)

Your solid centre man with a ton of work ethic ( Horvat vs Linden)

A solid goal tender who can come up with the key saves to keep the game close (Markstrom vs McLean)

An excellent 1st defensive pairing who can shut down opponents top lines  ( Edler+ Tanev vs Lumme and Babych)

Plus you've got several other forwards with offensive talent who can contribute offensively giving the team more depth and making them harder to defend against than your average one line team. Boeser, Baertchi are our Ronning and Courtnall for example.

I'm not suggesting that the Canucks are going to make a magical run deep into the playoffs this year a la 1994 I'm merely suggesting that many of the key peices are there so anything is possible.

Good post.

We are lacking some Odjick and Momesso though 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, coastal.view said:

nice to be excited

but really, did the canucks really earn all those points in the last 3 games

kinda got all the necessary breaks in my view

so let's not overstate their current run of play

equally, looking back at november

were the canucks really as bad as their record then ?

i recall they should have had 3 more wins in that run

things just balance out over the course of the season

if our division was not so bloody weak this season

this level of optimism would be muted

look at the present points earned stat category this season so far

not much of a change over the previous 3 seasons

the big change are the other teams so that makes nucks look better

what matters now is what the team does with its friendly season ending schedule

let's see them put together a winning streak

where it is clear they actually deserve to win those games

not winning by playing 1/2 a game or less of effective hockey

CV,   Go back over the yrs..can you remember how this franchise ALWAYS seems to hit a rut around Jan/Feb? I'm guessing it's travel-related. This yr was an atrocious sched, combined with the much-discussed, litany of injuries.

It's quite possible the boys were running on fumes lately, & with good reason. I'm really impressed with how they've been scrounging pts, despite chasing the games. They're finding ways to win stinkers(or nab single pts), & that compensates for the nasty November.

They might benefit from this 2 wk soft sched, more than any team(using a long break) of the whole league.

• Cheers 3

18 hours ago, Team Bagues said:

I'm not seeing a deep contender yet but I agreed with the steady progression. Feels like our group is stable, and still growing in to various roles. We've been hovering around the league median for most of the year which is pretty darn good for a team in transition.

It seems to me that a deep contending team requires a really good D or O, and we're not there yet on either front.

Curious what people think we are closer to rounding out - our forward group or defense group.

Looking at other teams considered deep - leaving Tampa out because they are an extreme outlier on the very, very deep and skilled end of things.

Teams like Pitts, Wash, Tor, Winn, Nash, SJ generally have 5-4 lethal scoring threats? Canucks to me are 2 offensive threats away....

On D - when the six are healthy - I'm seeing a pretty stable core - just lacking the 2 or 3 puck moving offensive threats that most good teams seem to have.

To me a guy like Hutton is developing in to what many deep teams have - 2-3 solid defenders who can jump up and chip in on the O when appropriate.

It's not about being a contender this year.  But that this team could make the playoffs is a huge leap forward from last year.  Considering the age of our star players, we will track upwards for a long time.  Now it's about addressing weaknesses and to truly do that stress needs to be applied.  The playoffs aren't going to hurt this bunch, but help them grow.  

• Cheers 1

For me EP and Markstrom are the biggest difference makers on this squad this year.  Boeser has struggled to get back to his pre-injury form when playing with Horvat and Bear or anyone not named EP, in other words EP has kept him in points, without that it’s questionable he’d have 26 points in his last 25 games (how many of those were scored when playing with EP and without him in the lineup?).

Markstom as morphed into the goalie we hoped we’d get for the Luongo trade.  It’s been a long and often disparaging ride, all those early goals, many on the first shot of the game,  almost beat the record for games without and shut-out, during a span where other new goalies have come into the league and piled up a couple before their 40th game.   Amazing that the teams patience lasted that long, and that he’s actually done it...well hopefully that’s not pre-mature, but his play the last six weeks has been great and we’ve won many on his back.

Horvat started the year lights out but has slowed right down, maybe the all-star break will re-invigorate him.  

The new kids kids on the block have played a part in our ressurgance, as has TG in dealing with both injuries and finding places for the new guys.  

But the biggest reasons for the teams uptick in points so far are Pettersson and his timely scoring (a huge portion of his points are primary assists on game tying and game winning goals, plus he has his share of game winning goals too), and Markstroms play. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

It's not about being a contender this year.  But that this team could make the playoffs is a huge leap forward from last year.  Considering the age of our star players, we will track upwards for a long time.  Now it's about addressing weaknesses and to truly do that stress needs to be applied.  The playoffs aren't going to hurt this bunch, but help them grow.  

Phat fingers well said...I’m not a tanker per say but I did come into this year expecting another top ten or even top five pick (as was being advertised by pretty much every hockey news outlet).  

Im  glad we are playing for a playoff spot, and am absolutely stoked Pettersson is going to be at least a star, if not our second ever super-star (sorry Sedins two years on the top doesn’t give anyone that name).  Good times ahead!

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

CV,   Go back over the yrs..can you remember how this franchise ALWAYS seems to hit a rut around Jan/Feb? I'm guessing it's travel-related. This yr was an atrocious sched, combined with the much-discussed, litany of injuries.

It's quite possible the boys were running on fumes lately, & with good reason. I'm really impressed with how they've been scrounging pts, despite chasing the games. They're finding ways to win stinkers(or nab single pts), & that compensates for the nasty November.

They might benefit from this 2 wk soft sched, more than any team(using a long break) of the whole league.

well you are echoing what i have said every year around this time for the past 2 or 3 years

canucks come out fast at the start of the season

other teams slowly round into form

injuries/ travel/ tiredness hit the canucks

and they really stumble in jan and feb

i have not repeated that refrain this season

as i think their health and reasonable schedule

gives them a real opportunity to play well

they also have a real game changer

who can carry the team as the games get tougher

since the better teams are knuckling down for their playoff runs

for the rest of the season schedule

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

For me EP and Markstrom are the biggest difference makers on this squad this year.  Boeser has struggled to get back to his pre-injury form when playing with Horvat and Bear or anyone not named EP, in other words EP has kept him in points, without that it’s questionable he’d have 26 points in his last 25 games (how many of those were scored when playing with EP and without him in the lineup?).

Markstom as morphed into the goalie we hoped we’d get for the Luongo trade.  It’s been a long and often disparaging ride, all those early goals, many on the first shot of the game,  almost beat the record for games without and shut-out, during a span where other new goalies have come into the league and piled up a couple before their 40th game.   Amazing that the teams patience lasted that long, and that he’s actually done it...well hopefully that’s not pre-mature, but his play the last six weeks has been great and we’ve won many on his back.

Horvat started the year lights out but has slowed right down, maybe the all-star break will re-invigorate him.  

The new kids kids on the block have played a part in our ressurgance, as has TG in dealing with both injuries and finding places for the new guys.  

But the biggest reasons for the teams uptick in points so far are Pettersson and his timely scoring (a huge portion of his points are primary assists on game tying and game winning goals, plus he has his share of game winning goals too), and Markstroms play. 

Agreed.  EP40 and Markey are why we are looking good at the half way mark.  Bo has to also be considered as another potential MVP and even Edler has stepped up to play like a veteran number one d man at times.  

Alot of games have been won based on the play of 3 key guys this year, EP40, Markey and Bo.  I gotta give Bo credit for carrying such a heavy load with Sutter and Beagle out early.  Without him doing that, or season would be over already.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Good post IBatch, I too see the same assessment so far. I would like to add that TG has been trying to make players accountable by being more consistent such as Goldy and Jake. I see it during a game as well where a guy stops getting ice time if he is not on his game, or he sits.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Phat fingers well said...I’m not a tanker per say but I did come into this year expecting another top ten or even top five pick (as was being advertised by pretty much every hockey news outlet).  

Im  glad we are playing for a playoff spot, and am absolutely stoked Pettersson is going to be at least a star, if not our second ever super-star (sorry Sedins two years on the top doesn’t give anyone that name).  Good times ahead!

Totally agree on Petey being our next "Superstar". Just like Bure he carries more then one or two attributes and is a true gamer. He gets those timely points when the team needs them the most. 

Loved the Sedins and what they brought to this team but they lacked multiple attributes that would put them in that "Superstar" echelon. Foot speed, slapshots, defensive play, one on one with a goalie(shootout/breakaway) and "clutch" scoring were not their strong points. 

Can't wait to see what Petey can do once he gets into his full potential. Definitely "good times ahead". ::D

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Totally agree on Petey being our next "Superstar". Just like Bure he carries more then one or two attributes and is a true gamer. He gets those timely points when the team needs them the most. 

Loved the Sedins and what they brought to this team but they lacked multiple attributes that would put them in that "Superstar" echelon. Foot speed, slapshots, defensive play, one on one with a goalie(shootout/breakaway) and "clutch" scoring were not their strong points. 

Can't wait to see what Petey can do once he gets into his full potential. Definitely "good times ahead". ::D

Me too ...  Not very often do you see someone come in and do things that are that incredible right away.  When they finally peaked the Sedins were otherworldly too, especially their passing game...which is something Pettersson has too.  The Sedins being twins and playing their entire career together is very special and unique and nobody will ever do that again (and will ultimately get them into the HHOF)...Best rookie we’ve ever had? Maybe.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Agreed.  EP40 and Markey are why we are looking good at the half way mark.  Bo has to also be considered as another potential MVP and even Edler has stepped up to play like a veteran number one d man at times.  

Alot of games have been won based on the play of 3 key guys this year, EP40, Markey and Bo.  I gotta give Bo credit for carrying such a heavy load with Sutter and Beagle out early.  Without him doing that, or season would be over already.  

I should have considered that too, he was on pace to destroy his previous points totals playing often with spare parts...you have to figure that after last year he saw a bright future playing with Boeser, and that was taken away from him (not his fault, Boeser needed a spark and Horvat isn’t the best passer on the team) plus he took a huge load with both Beagle and Sutter out.  Hopefully he will get a good long rest and come out guns a blazing for the rest of the year, if he can pace his early scoring that could be all the difference in making the playoffs.  Captain...well we will see soon enough.

14 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Agreed.

Nice to see a lot of positive feedback & insights, as we approach being 2/3rds through a 'rebuilding' campaign.

Even the negs, like play of Pouliot or MDZ has a balance. Between the two, there's about 200 man games(this season & last) where we could allow our youth to get stronger in other leagues. These mediocre placeholders have a transitional role to play. When they go runnin' to media for tears & Gags, they kind of have forgotten their usefulness.

Biggest noteworthy negative is probably the setback for OJ. Hopefully he uses the disappointment as motivation/fuel to become a beaut.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Nice to see a lot of positive feedback & insights, as we approach being 2/3rds through a 'rebuilding' campaign.

Even the negs, like play of Pouliot or MDZ has a balance. Between the two, there's about 200 man games(this season & last) where we could allow our youth to get stronger in other leagues. These mediocre placeholders have a transitional role to play. When they go runnin' to media for tears & Gags, they kind of have forgotten their usefulness.

Biggest noteworthy negative is probably the setback for OJ. Hopefully he uses the disappointment as motivation/fuel to become a beaut.

well and that last game against carolina

not a great way to start off the last part of the season

all the team's worst qualities were on display that game

a real stinker

hope it was a one off

but that is the challenge for the team

to not have a repeat of that sort of game

A lot of positives to take in this year but with that being said can we stop with the injury excuse? They’re part of the game and we’ve been incredibly unlucky but I’m tired of hearing the same “what if we were healthy” line time and time again. I say this a lot but the team is way too soft and If we can barely escape the regular season without big injuries we’re in for trouble when the playoffs roll around. 

• Upvote 1

Sutter is healthy so it’s time to trade him before his next injury.

The guy may get us something in return.

instead of being stretched with another injury , you know Sutter is going to get hurt again this season it’s inevitable and it’s also unavoidable he’ll be hurt again next season as well . Trade him while he’s healthy, Cuz it won’t last long.