The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Next 5 years and prospects....

Rate this topic

canucksnihilist

16 minutes ago, mll said:

Aho was drafted 35th - the only way they could have drafted him was using the Boeser pick.  

2016 - Benning talked about how they really liked Dahlen - he went 42nd so that might have been their pick.  

thx. My point was we maybe missed out on 1 impact player thanks to the 'on the fly' approach. Not great, but I don't think it set the current rebuild back years.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

In retrospect it's too bad nobody listened to Tortorella, he knew the core was stale and wanted to do a full-on rebuild. Would have loved to see what we could have brought back after trading the Sedins back then, and how much ahead or behind we would be now.

The Sedins weren't going to be traded anywhere though, regardless of the plan. But even if they agreed to move in their final year i don't think the return would have been epic at that point, not many teams had the ability to take on both of them so it would have limited the market. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

The Sedins weren't going to be traded anywhere though, regardless of the plan. But even if they agreed to move in their final year i don't think the return would have been epic at that point, not many teams had the ability to take on both of them so it would have limited the market. 

They would have each returned a first round pick at minimum. Suddenly we have a Tuch, Sanheim, Kapanen, Schmaltz or someone in that range, pick 2 of em.

Edited by Where'd Luongo?
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess you can look back that way but then who would we have passed on in the 2nd round? 

2014 - we picked Demko, wouldn't want to change that, but

2015 - missed out on Aho

2016 - missed out on Debrincat and Girard

2017 and 2018 we used our 2nd. 

Sure we missed out on 2 of these 3 guys but so did a lot of other teams... but yeah it would be nice to have 1 of them. 

I do think the 'rebuild on the fly' thing was risky and this was the risk. But was it devastating like some posters like to suggest? no. 

I'm not concerned about the other players chosen in round two, that we didn't choose.  I'm more concerned with the second and third round picks that were traded away in hopes of "retooling" around the old Sedin core.  Those picks (I think there were five) are chances at getting a game changing D man.  Look at the top teams over this past decade.  Almost each one has a big time D man that came out of rounds 2 or 3.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

They would have each returned a first round pick at minimum. Suddenly we have a Tuch, Sanheim, Kapanen, Schmaltz or someone in that range, pick 2 of em.

Yup.  And our completed rebuild is that much deeper and better.  It was a philosophical choice (IMO directed by our owner) to trade away picks and retool rather than collect picks and rebuild.  We should definitely have more young talent on our current team, in Utica, and coming up soon. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  And our completed rebuild is that much deeper and better.  It was a philosophical choice (IMO directed by our owner) to trade away picks and retool rather than collect picks and rebuild.  We should definitely have more young talent on our current team, in Utica, and coming up soon. 

"The shelves are full" is a lie, we are scraping the floor hoping to find a lost diamond right now. Every piece that has any NHL potential at all is going to be on the team next year, which isn't good. 5 years into a rebuild, that's pathetic. Don't blame it on MG either because he would have traded the core and got this thing moving a long time ago.

There are some really awesome players that we got in the drafts. I just know there could have been more.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

Well, in 2015 Jim Benning said they liked Brisebois so much that they would of used a second on him regardless.  Could just be lip service, propping up Brisebois and making it sound less painful for the fans, not having a second

2016 we actually had two seconds but we used them in playoff aspiration type deals that both have failed.  Sutter and Gudbranson.

The 2016 2nd round was deep, I touched on it a page or two back. 

Hronek, Hajek, Klague, Lindgren, Girard and Adam Fox(early 3rd rounder) 

Carter Hart although we had Demko already

DeBrincat is a game changer,  Dube, Grundstrom, Kyrou

And these are just ones that have made serious professional impacts so far, all taken in the second round.  There are others trending quite well too.  

I really liked Vince Dunn in the 2015 draft.  We should have had a second rounder to get him.  Imagine having Vince Dunn and Samual Girard with Quinn Hughes.  That's an extremely modern NHL D core.

I still don't believe we can blame JB for his lack of second and third round picks.  You mentioned Mike Gillis wanting to rebuild.  Gillis was fired for that philosophical difference with our owner.  Then our owner hired JB, who would retool.  At the 2017 TDL the owner got on board the rebuild philosophy.  We are behind in our rebuild, and (IMO) this is going to waste the best years of Bo.  

To move up to get Jack Hughes I would trade Bo.  

2 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Who knows what has gone on behind the scenes, it's hard to play the guessing game.  They are all at fault

I think it was Ray Ferrero who said it best.  It was back in 2014, and he mentioned (more than once on the radio, and on TV) that he felt the Canucks were trying to "please two masters" but not succeeding at pleasing either with their 'retool' philosophy.  Then he went on to mention stuff "he was hearing" around the league about our owner, that wasn't good.  

Yes, it's all hearsay, because anyone who works in the business, and wants a future in the business can't call out an owner. They would never get hired again.  

2 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Maybe Sutter will score 50 points, Roussel will match his career high, and Baertschi will score 25 goals. If they do, we are set!

I just saw a giant pink pig fly by my window!  Wonders will never cease!!!  :towel:

20 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

I actually think that those three things aren't too crazy and might happen.

I don't want those things to happen.  If we are going to improve as a team, I want the leadership to come from our young guys.  Having older players lead the team to a higher standing only hurts the rebuild even more.  Older guys are to be support for our young future core players, but not core players.  (IMO)

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don't want those things to happen.  If we are going to improve as a team, I want the leadership to come from our young guys.  Having older players lead the team to a higher standing only hurts the rebuild even more.  Older guys are to be support for our young future core players, but not core players.  (IMO)

Sutter getting 50 points is not going to lead any category except for being a great season for a 3rd line centre. Roussell matching his career high is the same. Baertschi needs to be our top LW.

1 hour ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

"The shelves are full" is a lie, we are scraping the floor hoping to find a lost diamond right now. Every piece that has any NHL potential at all is going to be on the team next year, which isn't good. 5 years into a rebuild, that's pathetic. Don't blame it on MG either because he would have traded the core and got this thing moving a long time ago.

There are some really awesome players that we got in the drafts. I just know there could have been more.

MG left the team with 1 nhl prospect and a boat load of NMCs and NTCs that were extremely limiting to move.  Sedins and Edler were never going to waive their NMCs and some of the remaining ones created negative trade situations.  And then there was the horrible situation he created with Luongo and his massive contract.

JB has made his share of mistakes, but you can hardly blame him for faltering in his dealings with the high number of unmoveable contracts and a prospect pool void of talent other than Bo.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I'm not concerned about the other players chosen in round two, that we didn't choose.  I'm more concerned with the second and third round picks that were traded away in hopes of "retooling" around the old Sedin core.  Those picks (I think there were five) are chances at getting a game changing D man.  Look at the top teams over this past decade.  Almost each one has a big time D man that came out of rounds 2 or 3.

thats why I did the exercise - we at most missed out on Girard with our pick placement. We missed out worse on F talent imo. But it set us back by 1 year. If we're playing hindsight too, if we did get 1/3 of those guys we maybe miss out on Petey and Hughes. 

20/20 is a game not worth playing really, we're on the right track now with some real elite talent. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

maybe... dunno. For some reason I don't think they would have returned that. Maybe a 1st and prospect but I don't think a team would have given up a 2018 and 2019 1st. 

7 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

MG left the team with 1 nhl prospect and a boat load of NMCs and NTCs that were extremely limiting to move.  Sedins and Edler were never going to waive their NMCs and some of the remaining ones created negative trade situations.  And then there was the horrible situation he created with Luongo and his massive contract.

JB has made his share of mistakes, but you can hardly blame him for faltering in his dealings with the high number of unmoveable contracts and a prospect pool void of talent other than Bo.

Well that's just false on all accounts but sure.

• Wat 2

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

maybe... dunno. For some reason I don't think they would have returned that. Maybe a 1st and prospect but I don't think a team would have given up a 2018 and 2019 1st. 

Lol there's no way that's what you get for 2 PPG players. Anyway this is all hypothetical and I DO believe the Sedins would have went for that last season, waiving their NMC for the sake of the team if they would have been asked, in fact I believe they straight up said this at one point.

1 minute ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Lol there's no way that's what you get for 2 PPG players. Anyway this is all hypothetical and I DO believe the Sedins would have went for that last season, waiving their NMC for the sake of the team if they would have been asked.

I don't know in all the coverage of it, where you can point to anything the Sedins ever said about going anywhere, given that they said numerous times they never wanted to go anywhere and finish their careers here. It just wasn't ever going to be a thing, no matter who "asked". 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't know in all the coverage of it, where you can point to anything the Sedins ever said about going anywhere, given that they said numerous times they never wanted to go anywhere and finish their careers here. It just wasn't ever going to be a thing, no matter who "asked". 

They didn't WANT to go anywhere but they were never once asked to waive it. They used to say if the team asked them to leave that they would be willing to consider it. I'm not worried about it anymore because it's over.