The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN-NJD

Chicago or Colorado would be a more realistic trade option than the 1st overall.  Byram and the Russian dude might be the sleepers of the draft.  Does anyone have any solid info on this Russian dude?  It wouldn't cost as much as trying to get Hughes but he could be a better fit as a right winger for BO...

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Thats an interesting article. If correct, it means that Petey would have been expected to have 44.8% of the value of Hischier, which is clearly not the case. But maybe overall when you account for all picks its a decent rule of thumb when thinking about trade values.

IMO there's just no scenario where we trade up to 1st or 2nd that doesn't involve Boeser. Its safe to say if people knew what they know now, Brock could easily have gone 10-12th overall. So thats upping his value by 3-4 2nd rounders according to the article. 

What I'm curious about is drafting skill - not the kids, the people selecting them. Is there enough information or scouting techniques out there, that a team could legitimately figure out who the next "Barzal" is? Or is that just not possible and kids have to emerge on their own and it comes down to some luck too? I'd love to be able to sit in on one of Brackett's scouting meetings to understand more about it. Seems like more art than science for a lot of teams. 

First vs 10th since 2007

2007  Patrick Kane - Keaton Ellerby

2008  Stamkos - Hodgson

2009  Tavares - Paajarvi

2010  Hall - McIlrath

2011   RNH - Brodin

2012   Yakupov - Koekkoek

2013   MacKinnon - Nichushkin

2014   Ekblad - Ritchie

2015   McDavid - Rantanen

Teams certainly hope so.  Poile after drafting Fabbro said that it was the 1st time in his (long) career that the top-17 players selected were the same as the ones they had in the top-17 - not the same order but the same names.  Just shows how lists are different from team to team.

Weisbrod had the same role in Calgary as he does here - Brackett reports to him.  He was the one that Benning tasked to revamp the scouting department.  Some of the changes he brought in sound similar to what Calgary was doing.  This was just before he joined the Flames (2011).  They were using a 3rd party, that counts NASA and the US Army as clients, to help with the rankings:  https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/looking-through-a-different-lens/c-566994

3 minutes ago, mll said:

First vs 5th vs 10th since 2007

2007  Patrick Kane - Keaton Ellerby

2008  Stamkos - Hodgson

2009  Tavares - Paajarvi

2010  Hall - McIlrath

2011   RNH - Brodin

2012   Yakupov - Koekkoek

2013   MacKinnon - Nichushkin

2014   Ekblad - Ritchie

2015   McDavid - Rantanen

Teams certainly hope so.  Poile after drafting Fabbro said that it was the 1st time in his (long) career that the top-17 players selected were the same as the ones they had in the top-17 - not the same order but the same names.  Just shows how lists are different from team to team.

Weisbrod had the same role in Calgary as he does here - Brackett reports to him.  He was the one that Benning tasked to revamp the scouting department.  Some of the changes he brought in sound similar to what Calgary was doing.  This was just before he joined the Flames (2011).  They were using a 3rd party, that counts NASA and the US Army as clients, to help with the rankings:  https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/looking-through-a-different-lens/c-566994

2012 :sick:

I have to wonder if we're going to see a repeat of last year to some degree, maybe doing nothing is the best thing we can do. Sit and wait for other teams to maybe outsmart themselves. 

I think it would take a near miracle to pry the 1st overall from New Jersey. They have a stupid amount of cap space for 2019-2020 to go big game hunting for free agents to fill out their roster needs and they've got more than a full deck of cards for this year's draft (three 2nd round picks and two 3rd round picks). The only thing I can see is that their current roster is filled with players in their mid-to-late 20's, which means that they don't have a lot of youth immediately in their roster - Hischier and Bratt are their only roster players under the age of 21, with Zacha and Blackwood being the only others under 23. Also, their only salary cap dump target (which again, they don't -really- need to worry about) is Schneider, but he has an NTC and I don't know if he's waiving it to come back to the city that dealt him in 2013. 

If we're not dealing the Core Four, I don't know if we would even have the pieces to even come close to a deal with New Jersey, but I think it would have to start with something like this ...

To VAN: 

- 2019 1st Overall

To NJD:

- 2019 10th Overall

- 2019 2nd Round Pick

- 2020 1st Round Pick 

- 2021 2nd Round Pick

- Jake Virtanen

- Olli Juolevi

- Plus literally any combination of any of our players other than the Core Four 

8 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

1) NJD’s GM laughs.

2) NJD’s GM farts in the receiver.

* 3) NJD's GM regrets that the Smellophone has not as yet been invented. *

3) NJD’s GM hangs up the phone.

Fixed that for you.  :)

regards,  G.

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

2012 :sick:

I have to wonder if we're going to see a repeat of last year to some degree, maybe doing nothing is the best thing we can do. Sit and wait for other teams to maybe outsmart themselves. 

Most productive Fs this season from the 2012 draft Hertl (17th), Teravainen (18th), Forsberg (11th).

Looking at that list it's pretty obvious the gap between 1st and 10th.  Rantanen is the best of the group at 10th but he was drafted the McDavid year.  

There's really no way to go from 10th to 1st.

26 minutes ago, mll said:

Most productive Fs this season from the 2012 draft Hertl (17th), Teravainen (18th), Forsberg (11th).

Looking at that list it's pretty obvious the gap between 1st and 10th.  Rantanen is the best of the group at 10th but he was drafted the McDavid year.  

There's really no way to go from 10th to 1st.

its a miracle that we got 2nd and 3rd in 1999. It really is.

I have no doubt theres a great player available at 10... but is he at 17? 23? 11? just have to wait and see. 

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposal] VAN-NJD

Archived