The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

JB: I’ll make the phone call about the 1st overall pick

Generational.EP40

8 hours ago, SuperJr said:

I would move Horvat as part of the deal. If u got Hughes and Petterrson down the middle, u don’t need Horvat as your 3rd C when u also have Adam G.

I’d move boeser over bo. Wingers are quite interchangeable I believe. Burrows, the guy who made team canada just because he was crosbitches winger that I forgot the name of, Gary Roberts, lethtinen etc. You can find them occasionally out of nowhere.

horvat is rare though. Especially when we rely on him for face offs completely. 

15 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

4 NHL players for 2 maybes is an overpayment. Hard pass. 

I agree that they are maybes, however, 1st round picks are a premium. 4 marginal NHLers with capped out ceilings, except maybe markstrom are not premiums. 

You take those trades and run regardless of the possibility of it backfiring. 

Huge opportunity to get two studs for  4 depth players. One which was on waivers before and one that should be in jV.

Just now, Tomatoes11 said:

I agree that they are maybes, however, 1st round picks are a premium. 4 marginal NHLers with capped out ceilings, except maybe markstrom are not premiums. 

You take those trades a d run regardless of the possibility of it backfiring. 

Huge opportunity to get two studs for  4 depth players. One with was on waivers before and one that should be in jV.

Wouldn't do it, just draft at 10 no need to gut the team for 2 maybes. JV has way more value than you give him credit for. Markstrom had an outstanding year. Tryamkin has already said he wants to come back for another try here. I'd consider moving Hutton for a pick but would be fine keeping him as well. 

Prefer to stay the course over gutting the team for 2 picks. 

6 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Wouldn't do it, just draft at 10 no need to gut the team for 2 maybes. JV has way more value than you give him credit for. Markstrom had an outstanding year. Tryamkin has already said he wants to come back for another try here. I'd consider moving Hutton for a pick but would be fine keeping him as well. 

Prefer to stay the course over gutting the team for 2 picks. 

If we draft sorderstrom and trade those 4 crappy parts for Broberg and Boldy or zegras or caufield  you wouldn’t do it?

yes all 3 may bust but imagine if they didn’t. And do we really need any of those 4 on our cup winning team? Maybe tyramkin but that’s onky if he comes back.

you do that trade and run to the bank lol

1 minute ago, Tomatoes11 said:

If we draft sorderstrom and trade those 4 crappy parts for Broberg and Boldy you wouldn’t do it?

yes all 3 may bust but imagine if they didn’t. And do we really need any of those 4 on our cup winning team? Maybe tyramkin but that’s onky if he comes back.

you do that trade and run to the bank lol

The problem with your rationale is that they literally aren't crappy parts. 

6 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

I would go 

10th overall

Boeser

One of the following gaudette, markstrom, demko, dipietro, virtanen, Hutton,  Edler, or tanev.

for the 1st overall.

if that’s still not enough . Screw it.

This isn't a deep enough draft for this kind of trade. If you're lucky Hughes is the equivalent to Boeser and you traded 3 pieces to land 1 that MAYBE equals 1 of the 3 pieces you traded. Very short sighted thinking imo. 

6 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

The problem with your rationale is that they literally aren't crappy parts. 

Definitely are crappy parts except markstrom but you have to pay to play in the first round.

4 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

This isn't a deep enough draft for this kind of trade. If you're lucky Hughes is the equivalent to Boeser and you traded 3 pieces to land 1 that MAYBE equals 1 of the 3 pieces you traded. Very short sighted thinking imo. 

If we are lucky Hughes is the next lafontaine or Kane. Much better than boeser. Again, the upside for pieces we don’t need and freeing up a lot of our cap space.

34 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Definitely are crappy parts except markstrom but you have to pay to play in the first round.

If we are lucky Hughes is the next lafontaine or Kane. Much better than boeser. Again, the upside for pieces we don’t need and freeing up a lot of our cap space.

The fact you think they're crappy parts shows your lack any rational thought to fairly judge talent. You blindly hate Virtanen and that's it. So wadr your opinion on him as a player is literally worthless. 

We already lack defensive depth so Hutton still has value here. 

Trading Markstrom when Demko is not ready to be a starter is beyond dumb.

Tryamkin is a free upgrade to our defense. 

This draft isn't anywhere near deep enough to blow our wad trading 4 players for picks outside the top 10. 

And as much as I would have liked 1st/2nd/3rd overall, I also don't believe any of the players available there are worth paying what it would cost to get those picks. 

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

The fact you think they're crappy parts shows your lack any rational thought to fairly judge talent. You blindly hate Virtanen and that's it. So wadr your opinion on him as a player is literally worthless. 

We already lack defensive depth so Hutton still has value here. 

Trading Markstrom when Demko is not ready to be a starter is beyond dumb.

Tryamkin is a free upgrade to our defense. 

This draft isn't anywhere near deep enough to blow our wad trading 4 players for picks outside the top 10. 

And as much as I would have liked 1st/2nd/3rd overall, I also don't believe any of the players available there are worth paying what it would cost to get those picks. 

No, you are just massively overvaluing our players and this sheltering nonsense. No wonder you like Benning. Lol

1 hour ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

In all seriousness, I think it would take:

Horvat

10OA

2020 1st

Hutton

Virtanen

2020 1st should not even be discussed or anywhere near the table. After EP that could be our 2nd most valuable asset.

I know some people think we are making the playoffs next year, but that’s far from guaranteed. Look at how Ottawa gifted Colorado byram, dach, or cozens. If we gift the NJ devils lafreniere it would be the crappiest thing ever.

No, you are just massively overvaluing our players and this sheltering nonsense. No wonder you like Benning. Lol

Just because the picks are worth those type of players doesn't make it worth it for us to make the trade. That is the part you massively fail to understand. 

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Question @Tomatoes11

3rd year player 22yrs old

82GP 7G 16A 23P

would you trade him? 

Depends on a variety of factors. Most importantly being if he looks like is going to break out any day now or if he looks like a bonafide lost cause like JV. The return value you get for him is also another important factor.

But yeah, if he plays like JV and is still worth something. 100% would trade him.

Depends on a variety of factors. Most importantly being if he looks like is going to break out any day now or if he looks like a bonafide lost cause like JV. The return value you get for him is also another important factor.

But yeah, if he plays like JV and is still worth something. 100% would trade him.

That was Tom Wilson.

I also don't buy what you're selling with Virtanen. Lost cause and not even 23 yet, give me a break. 

He’ll never be a power forward it's just not really his game especially with 2 shoulder injuries. But he has improved every year since coming into the league and that is undeniable the numbers show it. He had 5 more points in 5 less games this season it's still too early to give up on him imo. 

Now if someone wants to grossly overpay for him I'd take it but would keep him at this point imo. 

I find it ironic how people are short changing the Devils for the 1st overall pick, but if the shoes were on the other foot, involving Quinton going to the Devils. People would be asking for the moon from the Devils. In reality, the first overall should be considered worth more than Quinton Hughes.

Devils will be asking for at least Horvat, the 10th overall pick, and probably two young roster players (Juolevi and Virtanen). In other words, it ain’t worth trying.

Archived