The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] The real deal

28 minutes ago, hammertime said:

we aren't taking a bad contract the Flames eat 50% salary. Neil at 2.87m I think would be good value. Top 4 RHD don't grow on trees either. 

And goalies as good and as young as Demko don’t either. 

3 minutes ago, mll said:

Buying out Neal is under 2M cap hit.  Here Calgary has to keep 2.8M and lose a key prospect. 

Finally a reasonable response they would be paying 2m until 2027 though. I'd rather pay an extra M and have it end 4 years sooner. Not to mention getting a potential starting goalie. Dispite the ridicule of CDC I think this trade works for both sides future starter for them. Top 4 rhd for us and we get a veteran goalscorer with a nasty side for our top 6. I think Neil is a good mentor for Brock they play similarly and maybe some of that sandpaper could rub off on Brock so he's less pillowy soft. I think Neil just wasn't a fit in Calgary but instead of shopping for a high priced UFA he could potentially slide right in next to Pearson and BO and get back to being a 20g guy. He averaged 26 goals a season for the 3 years prior to last. I think last season was an anomaly. His teammates also seem to really like him.  

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Finally a reasonable response they would be paying 2m until 2027 though. I'd rather pay an extra M and have it end 4 years sooner. Not to mention getting a potential starting goalie. Dispite the ridicule of CDC I think this trade works for both sides future starter for them. Top 4 rhd for us and we get a veteran goalscorer with a nasty side for our top 6. I think Neil is a good mentor for Brock they play similarly and maybe some of that sandpaper could rub off on Brock so he's less pillowy soft. I think Neil just wasn't a fit in Calgary but instead of shopping for a high priced UFA he could potentially slide right in next to Pearson and BO and get back to being a 20g guy. He averaged 26 goals a season for the 3 years prior to last. I think last season was an anomaly. His teammates also seem to really like him.  

The cap is going to increase by about 3.5M - they'll simply consider it as an increase of 1.5M.  Promising young Ds are too valuable to be moved in a cap dump deal.  

Also Demko is unproven as starter.  It's not the same kind of pressure to be a number 1 vs being a backup.  Teams also don't necessarily play the same in front of a backup vs a starter.  It's too early to say he will be a number 1.

Pearson and Horvat aren't really playmakers.  Neal did well in Nashville playing alongside Ribeiro and then Johansen but not so much along other non playmaking Cs.   

42 minutes ago, mll said:

The cap is going to increase by about 3.5M - they'll simply consider it as an increase of 1.5M.  Promising young Ds are too valuable to be moved in a cap dump deal.  

Also Demko is unproven as starter.  It's not the same kind of pressure to be a number 1 vs being a backup.  Teams also don't necessarily play the same in front of a backup vs a starter.  It's too early to say he will be a number 1.

Pearson and Horvat aren't really playmakers.  Neal did well in Nashville playing alongside Ribeiro and then Johansen but not so much along other non playmaking Cs.   

i don’t think this is a realistic trade but if we took on Neal wouldn’t it be a better fit putting him into the 1LW slot with Petey and Boes?

Neal provides some starch to that line and he could really thrive alongside a playmaker like EP40. We could potentially trade Neal in a year or so if his stats improve due to his deployment...

20 hours ago, hammertime said:

we aren't taking a bad contract the Flames eat 50% salary. Neil at 2.87m I think would be good value. Top 4 RHD don't grow on trees either. 

The guy got 7 goals and 19 points in 63 games, was not a physical player, and was a healthy scratch in the playoffs... at 3 mill he is still a bad contract.

Otherwise I agree those types of players do not grow on trees, neither do good goalie prospects...

But mostly I do not want to bring in poor players into our room.

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposal] The real deal

Archived