The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] The real deal

To Vancouver

James Niel -50% 2.87m aav + our 2015 2nd round pick back Rasmus Andersson 

To the Flames 

Thatchy D

We save them the millions in cap they need to sign Tkachuk and some 18 year old. They get their goalie of the future to split starts with Smith next year. We no longer have a goalie conundrum during the ED and we get a hell of a young RHD. Neil is also a hell of a competitor I think it was just a bad fit there but going from an average 20-30 goals to 7 is a hell of a dip.  I think this addresses 2 needs a scoring rw to play with Bo and a young top 4 rhd. It sucks loosing Thatcher but he can be replaced might be able to get Knight or Isaiah Saville in this draft and Mikey Dipietro is crushing it in the minors. Markstrom has proven that he can hold the fort. This also prevents JB from doing anything really silly in FA.

Edited by hammertime
  • Haha 2
  • Wat 5

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

To Vancouver

James Niel -50% + our 2015 2nd round pick back Rasmus Andersson 

To the Flames 

Thatchy D

We save them the millions in cap they need to sign Tkachuk and some 18 year old. They get their goalie of the future to split starts with Smith next year. We no longer have a goalie conundrum during the ED and we get a hell of a young RHD. Neil is also a hell of a competitor I think it was just a bad fit there but going from an average 20-30 goals to 7 is a hell of a dip.  I think this addresses 2 needs a scoring rw to play with Bo and a young top 4 rhd. It sucks loosing Thatcher but he can be replaced might be able to get Knight or Isaiah Saville in this draft and Mikey Dipietro is crushing it in the minors. Markstrom has proven that he can hold the fort. This also prevents JB from doing anything really silly in FA.

Yes, trading a potential franchise goalie to a division rival for a player that is likely "done" and unable to keep up to the pace of the game any longer is a great strategy.

32 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Only 17 of the 50 listed have a save percentage over .900, and not all of them have played more than a sample size. Take into account the fact that some of them will likely resign with their old teams, some of them aren't in the age bracket we need, and the fact that other teams will be looking for goalies as well, and the list of available goalies shrinks even more.

16 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Only 17 of the 50 listed have a save percentage over .900, and not all of them have played more than a sample size. Take into account the fact that some of them will likely resign with their old teams, some of them aren't in the age bracket we need, and the fact that other teams will be looking for goalies as well, and the list of available goalies shrinks even more.

I see it as an opportunity to move a player we likely loose for nothing and return a young top 4 rhd and a 20 goal scorer with a side of nasty.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I see it as an opportunity to move a player we likely loose for nothing and return a young top 4 rhd and a 20 goal scorer with a side of nasty.

I'd rather wait out the season to get a better idea of what we have before making a move. Sure, it lowers the value as the expansion draft approaches, but for all we know Markstrom could fall apart and Demko could steal the starting job from him before the season ends.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pears said:

There is no possible way you could have thought this would be a good deal for us. It’s not. 

Maybe I'm just not sold that Thatcher is the future. I think he will be a average starter. At one point Markstrom was considered the best goalie prospect in the league too. Hes had a bumpy ride. I like Thatcher but I'm not sure hes as good as everyone on CDC seems to think. I have seen sweetheart goalies come and go. Lack and Schneiderman look how they turned out. I'm ready to stick with Markstron as our guy. I also really like Andersson so maybe I'm out to lunch. And missing something Thatcher seems average to me

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

Maybe I'm just not sold that Thatcher is the future. I think he will be a average starter. At one point Markstrom was considered the best goalie prospect in the league too. Hes had a bumpy ride. I like Thatcher but I'm not sure hes as good as everyone on CDC seems to think. I have seen sweetheart goalies come and go. Lack and Schneiderman look how they turned out. I'm ready to stick with Markstron as our guy. I also really like Andersson so maybe I'm out to lunch. And missing something Thatcher seems average to me

The kid stopped 104 of his last 110 shots against St. Louis, San Jose, and LA and went 2-0-1, finishing with a .913 save percentage on the season. Pessimistic viewpoint to say the least. 

• Upvote 1

Not sure what it is with all the proposals to take on bad contracts to get a pick and a prospect...

Those types of trades are for teams trying to reach the cap floor as they ice a $&!#ty team hoping to somehow find core players.

We have the core players from the looks of things....

We need to build around our core and get RID of the bad contracts.

These trades are counter productive...

1 hour ago, Canucklehead73 said:

Not sure what it is with all the proposals to take on bad contracts to get a pick and a prospect...

Those types of trades are for teams trying to reach the cap floor as they ice a $&!#ty team hoping to somehow find core players.

We have the core players from the looks of things....

We need to build around our core and get RID of the bad contracts.

These trades are counter productive...

we aren't taking a bad contract the Flames eat 50% salary. Neil at 2.87m I think would be good value. Top 4 RHD don't grow on trees either.