The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Edm - Arizona

To Arizona

8th overall

Ryan Nugent Hopkins

To Edmonton

Oliver Ekman Larrsson 

Arizona gets a 1st line Center. 8th overall can be an insurance pick if RNH refuses to sign.

Larrssons ntc kicks in July 1st. His value would be highest before. Playing with McDavid would set career highs.

Both teams are outside shots for playoffs.

Edm just hired Tippett. 

Holland needs to make a real statement. Get some excitment.

Tippet probably has some other names hed want. Defensive minded fwds who know his system. Propose some others if you think there could be deals.

Arizona are no longer rebuilding and already have Cs.  RNH is not needed but a D1 is.  OEL was just re-signed to 8 years x 8.25M.  

Arizona had really bad luck injury wise last season but still came close to making the playoffs.  They want to compete now.  Trading OEL is a step back and they don't have a replacement in the pipeline.  

18 minutes ago, mll said:

Arizona are no longer rebuilding and already have Cs.  RNH is not needed but a D1 is.  OEL was just re-signed to 8 years x 8.25M.  

Arizona had really bad luck injury wise last season but still came close to making the playoffs.  They want to compete now.  Trading OEL is a step back and they don't have a replacement in the pipeline.  

Mmm. I mostly agree with your sentiment but Chychrun has been developing well so I wouldnt claim they have no replacement and a step back.

It would more lateral for Arizona compared to Edmonton. But 4 1st overalls gives Ed that kind of depth.

Maybe Ed adds more and they get a player Tippett can trust

The part I flat out disagree with is that Arz doesnt need a 1c. They had no 20g players last year. They need some help.

4 minutes ago, HughMungus said:

My understanding is it kicks in July 1. I think Subban was moved in a similar way but might be wrong.

You're correct, it does kick in July 1st. Still cannot see Arizona signing their captain to an 8 year extension with a NMC only to trade him just before the contract kicks in. Chayka would get no respect from his players going forward and players' agents would never trust him again in negotiations.

As far as value is concerned, I believe Edmontpn would have to add substantially to entice Arizona to part with OEL who is one of the top elite d-men in the league. Edmonton would have to add Nurse and their 2020 1st to make me consider the deal. Hamonic is not half the player OEL is and he fetched a 1st and 2 seconds. The other option would be to swap RNH with Draisaitl and then we may have a deal.

26 minutes ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

Do your research. OEL just signed an 8 year deal that doesn't even kick in until next season.

You are wrong. Look it up. July 1st is when nmc kick in.

Subban was dealt in a similar way. OEL is not a norris winner. This is not "unthinkable"

13 minutes ago, HughMungus said:

You are wrong. Look it up. July 1st is when nmc kick in.

Subban was dealt in a similar way. OEL is not a norris winner. This is not "unthinkable"

I don’t care about the NMC. The point being is that no team will trade their player, let alone their captain, after signing them to a long term extension. 

This is a waste of time for anyone unfortunate to click on this thread.

4 minutes ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

I don’t care about the NMC. The point being is that no team will trade their player, let alone their captain, after signing them to a long term extension. 

This is a waste of time for anyone unfortunate to click on this thread.

This is so easily disputed and demonstrably false.

Captains are traded all the time.

Sign and Tradea happen all the time.

Go back to watching baseball.

26 minutes ago, HughMungus said:

This is so easily disputed and demonstrably false.

Captains are traded all the time.

Sign and Tradea happen all the time.

Go back to watching baseball.

Go ahead and post some past trades of teams trading a player less than a year after signing them to a trade and naming them captain then.

47 minutes ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

Go ahead and post some past trades of teams trading a player less than a year after signing them to a trade and naming them captain then.

Do the Coyotes even have an owner? Fans? Bankrupt team if i recall yetHe got 8 years 8 good agent. Makes me hurt for ottawa even more. I cant speak to his character at all maybe he loves it and your right. Maybe he knows he can demand the C and up his value and would consider playing with the best young player.

Wasnt Kovulchuk 09 then 10?

To the other posters.

I agree a Draistl straight up could do it. But edm should swap their older 1sts first before their best young guys.

Edmonton is looking for forwards and cap relief. Ekman-Larson offers neither of these. They won't be moving Nugent-Hopkins - if anything they will move a defense man so this trade makes absolutely no sense.

24 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

Edmonton is looking for forwards and cap relief. Ekman-Larson offers neither of these. They won't be moving Nugent-Hopkins - if anything they will move a defense man so this trade makes absolutely no sense.

Edmonton is looking for low cost top 6 fill ins but that is a secondary need to D and G which is foundational to them.  

42 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

EKLarrson playing with McDavid is getting Karlsson numbers imo

You dont need forward scoring help at that point. Just a finesse coach on the PP

4 hours ago, HughMungus said:

Do the Coyotes even have an owner? Fans? Bankrupt team if i recall yetHe got 8 years 8 good agent. Makes me hurt for ottawa even more. I cant speak to his character at all maybe he loves it and your right. Maybe he knows he can demand the C and up his value and would consider playing with the best young player.

Wasnt Kovulchuk 09 then 10?

To the other posters.

I agree a Draistl straight up could do it. But edm should swap their older 1sts first before their best young guys.

Kovalchuk was not a sign and trade. It is pretty well known he marketed himself as an FA before he signed his gargantuan offer. 

Please post another example though. I’m sure there is many examples as you cited. After all, I’m just a baseball mind that knows nothing. 

Archived